• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 1/2" .058 gauge square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive the city bus that goes right in fron and around the Oregon plant. One of their emoloyees and i havw been conversing on the subject of them making 1/2" chisel. He said "i cannot help you with that, im in the sprocket department", to which I replied, how about 1/2" pitch 7 pin. His response was, "I can do that". I am going to try and get him to come to our PNW gtg in June. I had mentioned that we could use an Oregon Tool employee there. So we'll see.

Being a life long tool and die maker, I can tell you that CNC has destroyed the trade. There are no new toolmakers these days, just programmers and operators. Stuff isn’t hand fit anymore, people are fine with the wide open tolerances and a disposable society. The pride in craftsmanship is a thing of the past, at least the last few years I worked that’s how it was. Everything is “close enough” for who it’s for. People say it’s just technology advancements, and I spent 20 years programming, so I’m not anti-CNC, but we are dumbing down everything. Hard to find kids that want to learn. They want to push a button and play on their phone waiting till their part is done. Been sad to watch… I think 3D printers are just the beginning of the end for the mold industry.

We are laser welding out of a tool holder in CNCs now, spray weld on, do a tool change and machine it off. Metal Injection Molding or (MiM) is moving at a rapid pace.

Being a life long tool and die maker, I can tell you that CNC has destroyed the trade. There are no new toolmakers these days, just programmers and operators. Stuff isn’t hand fit anymore, people are fine with the wide open tolerances and a disposable society. The pride in craftsmanship is a thing of the past, at least the last few years I worked that’s how it was. Everything is “close enough” for who it’s for. People say it’s just technology advancements, and I spent 20 years programming, so I’m not anti-CNC, but we are dumbing down everything. Hard to find kids that want to learn. They want to push a button and play on their phone waiting till their part is done. Been sad to watch… I think 3D printers are just the beginning of the end for the mold industry.

We are laser welding out of a tool holder in CNCs now, spray weld on, do a tool change and machine it off. Metal Injection Molding or (MiM) is moving at a rapid pace.
I agree it is so very sad, The word "manual machining is foreign to most. Give a guy a manual mic or caliper and watch them stutter and stammer. When I started teaching years ago I required every student to learn how to read a standard mic, caliper, and depth gauge.

39 years T&D maker , the old ways of learning the trade are long gone !!

Not that I don't sympathize with you older guys, since I learned everything I know about lathe and mill operations while working as a mechanic for a machine shop, but you just can't keep up with production running manual machines. We (the machinists not me) did a lot of one off and custom engine parts, got into a lot of restorations and specialty engines. But the diesel work and regular rebuilds were what kept the doors open. Shortly before I left we were doing a lot of frack pump rebuilds, and ended up getting a cnc vertical mill to machine the bronze sleeves and bearing bores. They had pretty tight tolerances. Took a bit to get the machine set up and fixtures made, but it was much faster and very accurate. Final hone and bore sizing was done semi manually. Idk what Leon paid for that machine but he wouldn't have bought it if he couldn't get it paid for and making the shop money with it.

The 3d printer thing. That's just going to keep growing. Heck even I have one now. Wife got it for me as a Christmas present. It's surprising what you can make with it, and how well it does for a cheap machine. Basically limted by your imagination and quality of your machine. It won't ever replace injection molding, at least not in the foreseeable future, those high end machines are very expensive. Although they are catching up, and price has been going down on higher tier machines.

High tooth .404 would be great. As I remember it had a #46 something or other in its part number. Though 1/2" chisel is better for the old geardrives. Still a high tooth 8 pin on a 101b would be quite appropriate. Some west cast racers still have it, though not for sale.
46RST but only a few guys talked about it on other forums. Wonder if @DND 9000 has heard of the chain.

All this talk of valuable 1/2 inch chain had me go digging into my junk boxes. Here is some .063 gage that Art Martin made for me. It is 62DL and ready to race. If somebody wants it for $3DL I will pay the shipping. I sold my bike saws long ago but an 090 will carry this and cut fastt

That would be a cool piece of history to own.

Back