• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 1/2" .058 gauge square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm looking for
1/2" pitch, .058 gauge SQUARE chisel bit chain. I'm not exactly sure of DL count, but it is for a McC 1-80 with a 42" bar. So around 8' I rekon. I'm also interested in what sort of value any of you would put on such a chain.

Thanks!

Hello,

As we have discussed that will be a tall order to fill since it is near impossible to find especially in the length you need. My personal opinion is the seller was a scrounge and he allowed another scrounge to buy the chain prior to him shipping the saw. The chain did not just fall out of the box.

Bill

Hello,

As we have discussed that will be a tall order to fill since it is near impossible to find especially in the length you need. My personal opinion is the seller was a scrounge and he allowed another scrounge to buy the chain prior to him shipping the saw. The chain did not just fall out of the box.

Bill
Yes Bill, I agree 100%.
The cardboard sleeve that the bar came in didn't have room for a chain. The bar didn't have any fresh knicks on either side of it either.

Edit:
I looked much, much closer & discovered what look like scratches from a chain.. Gonna ask the FedEx driver if he saw anything.

I've expressed to him the value of the chain & can see that he's minimalizing it, as if to play stupid.
I want to present him with whatever info I can to make it clear. The chain on that saw is MINE, and the fact that it is worth a lot more than I payed for it, is what is SUPPOSED to make ebay great... Not what makes it great for him, but me. What makes it so infuriating is how easily they can BS their way out of things.

"Hi Ted, it should be a reasonable percentage of the total sale price. You could compare a new chain saw with the replacement cost of a new chain. Thanks,
Chris"
IS THAT RIGHT?

I have a bunch of 1/2" pitch I bought from that evilbay guy. It's not nice chain and the presets are so rusty idk if I'd want to use them to cut with. I bought some from him thinking i needed .058 but the homelite takes .063. It's all reel ends, so you'll need a lot of presets too. Figured I'd make a loop from the nicer stuff and use it as a "show" chain. Either that, or look for the parts to convert to .404.

Attachments

• 20230221_185818.jpg
    20230221_185818.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_190020.jpg
    20230221_190020.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_190013.jpg
    20230221_190013.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_185958.jpg
    20230221_185958.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have a bunch of 1/2" pitch I bought from that evilbay guy. It's not nice chain and the presets are so rusty idk if I'd want to use them to cut with. I bought some from him thinking i needed .058 but the homelite takes .063. It's all reel ends, so you'll need a lot of presets too. Figured I'd make a loop from the nicer stuff and use it as a "show" chain. Either that, or look for the parts to convert to .404.
What are you looking to get for it?

1/2" pitch, .058 gauge SQUARE chisel bit chain. I'm not exactly sure of DL count, but it is for a McC 1-80 with a 42" bar. So around 8' I rekon. I'm also interested in what sort of value any of you would put on such a chain.

Thanks!
It is going to be a shot in the dark, but my local hardware store was a McCulloch dealer from the 50s or 60s up until the late 80s. The new owner stored a bunch of old .404 sprockets and such in the basement. I might find some 1/2" stuff down there. He has an old Mac 2 man saw hanging on the wall. I will be glad to look. Just for the record, I bought 20 of the old 404 sprockets for $10.

Thanks!
There is a <<very used for 51" bar>> on ebay now, about $90-$100 incl shipping? Any way to buy parts to convert to .404 chain?= about $0.52/DL new Baileyonline. Good Luck

There is a <<very used for 51" bar>> on ebay now, about $90-$100 incl shipping? Any way to buy parts to convert to .404 chain?= about $0.52/DL new Baileyonline. Good Luck
As long as the gauge of the drivers is correct, a drive sprocket is all that would be needed. Most are hard-nosed which don't care what they guide. The roller tips didnt have sprockets either, just a grooved wheel. I dont recall having ever seen a sprocket tip bar from that era. I wonder if there were any?
I don't really want to put smaller chain on a vintage geardrive though.
What I'll likely have to settle for is semi chisel chain, which is still floating around in partial rolls etc.
I've been to several sheds & shops of old timer SW OR cutters in the past while tagging along with elders. You could see that they all had a stock of old stuff. Bars & chains hanging along a wall, boxes similar in size to chain spools. I'm sure somewhere there is a load of this riveted gold I've been robbed of, just sitting patiently for some descendant to probably throw in a recycling bin......
If my chain was indeed lost while in transport, I can almost guarantee that it was promptly thrown in the trash by whoever found it..

If anyone working for FedEx actually knew what it was that they saw falling out of a package, I would bet money that they're a member here..

Yes Bill, I agree 100%.
The cardboard sleeve that the bar came in didn't have room for a chain. The bar didn't have any fresh knicks on either side of it either. Which I know would've occurred if it the two rode even one day in a delivery truck.
I've expressed to him the value of the chain & can see that he's minimalizing it, as if to play stupid.
I want to present him with whatever info I can to make it clear. The chain on that saw is MINE, and the fact that it is worth a lot more than I payed for it, is what is SUPPOSED to make ebay great... Not what makes it great for him, but me. What makes it so infuriating is how easily they can BS their way out of things.

"Hi Ted, it should be a reasonable percentage of the total sale price. You could compare a new chain saw with the replacement cost of a new chain. Thanks,
Chris"
IS THAT RIGHT?
It is not right at all. You and I both know what happened and the seller is a scrounge. I am not sure how Ebay views it now that they have dumped PayPal.

Latest posts

Back