100:1 killed only the best saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry wiley_p, didn't intend to insinuate a reading comprehension issue here.

Just that 100:1 seems risky at best. Seems as if I'm not the only one with that opinion.

If I had a wonderful saw like that Dolmar I would certainly RTFM, and heed the information therein.

mix oil

The stuff I am talking about is at least 10 years old. BEFORE 40 to 1 oils. In the old days, like 1980 and before. When you had to watch out for the pterodactyl befor you dropped the tree.:D

Weimedog, the 100:1 was a f...up by a cewperson, my grammar did not convey that. I think 100:1 is crazy, I used to associate 100:1 with the weird Amzoil guys but as I said I like the Dominator and it isnt recommened past 60:1.

Originally posted by wiley_p
Weimedog, the 100:1 was a f...up by a cewperson, my grammar did not convey that.

I got your back, wiley.&nbsp; I'd understood that that way the first time you told the story.&nbsp; It doesn't help me to understand letting someone else (I don't trust completely) mix my gas, though.&nbsp; ;<tt>^)

Glen

Ben, your right I went downstairs and mixed another bottle its seven oz not 3 still when you put half that in a tight ass Dolmar its not enough apparently. It would seem I,m running around 45:1 wich gives me a good insualtor color.

well i got just a little experience with amsoil.. i ran it mabe a month..100-1 like the fella that sold it to me said to..
didnt lose a motor .. but where as id almost been problem free with my stihl mix.. i was incurring little start problems an such much more,, an having to go to my back up trimmers,, edgers and blowers.. also i diudnt like the way that motor sounded..lean as all get out..
i went back to my stihl mix,,then later to mobile mx2t . at 40-1.. im thinking i may go to 32-1 as u fellas are sayin u can do that without fouling plugs an such..
ps i never took that chance[amsoil 100-1] with my saws as they cost quite a bit more..jmo

I run Amsoil in all my vehicles and have for going on twelve years now with no problems at all. With regards to saws I use their racing 2-cycle at a 50:1 ratio. I looked at the numbers between this oil and Mobil's MX2T. The Amsoil fairs better.

Amsoil Racing 2-Cycle (Dominator)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 7.6
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 40.9
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 156
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97) -48 (-54)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 92 (198)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 97 (207)

Mobil MX2T

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 13.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 90
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 152
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97) -42 (-44)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 88 (190)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) n/a

Mixing their racing oil at 50:1 seems to work fine. Besides that is the ratio that Stihl recommends and I trust their judgement. They test their saws at 80:1, so I think 50:1 is quite within the optimum range.

Last edited:
How in the world do you come to the conslusion that "Amsoil fares better" by looking at the specs listed below? I have experiance with both oils in question and can say with certainty that Amsoil racing two cycle, aka dominator is in no way better than MX2T.
BTW Judging by the viscosity of Dominator it would have much less film strength than MX2T by virtue of its 50+% lower viscosity.

Last edited:
The numbers should speak for themselves. The viscosity of the Amsoil 2-cycle does not increase as much as the Mobil 2-cycle does under load. It retains its original film strength longer than the Mobil does. Why is this a bad thing? If it is a good thing to have an oil thicken under load then why don't we start out with a higher viscosity oil to begin with?

The pour point is also lower which is good for cold weather usage. However, this really only applies to its use in an oil injection system.

Under comparable circumstances I am sure both oils would perform almost identically. I am partial to Amsoil and you to Mobil. Didn't mean to step all over your toes.

A common mantra of triboligist's is viscosity, vsicosit, viscosity. It appears to me that Dominator is a dual use oil(injection, premix) as it is much thinner. You ask why is thicker better? Because thickness has a direct corelation with film strength. You ask why does the dominatort have a very slight egde in viscosity index? because it as more solvent in the blend. If one where to take the solvents out of both blends I would bet that amsoil would have a lower VI than Mobil.
It retains its original film strength longer than the Mobil does.
It had better as it has much less film strength to begin with and the differance in VI is miniscule. Taking into consideration the solvent issue I mentioned above and I think it is quit probable that Amsoil has a much lower VI. Amsoil is probaly using one of Mobils 1970's era ester base stocks as they can not make their own and are at the mercy of what Mobil will sell them.

Dominator is a dual use oil you are correct. I am going to give their Saber 2-cycle 100:1 a try for the fun of it. Mixed at 80:1 though.

Amsoil is probaly using one of Mobils 1970's era ester base stocks as they can not make their own and are at the mercy of what Mobil will sell them.

Highly doubtful. Amsoil is not at the mercy of anyone. If one company does not offer the high quality base they need, then they simply purchase it elsewhere. I also do not understand where you received your information on who Amsoil gets their basestocks from as it is against their policy to discuss this.

Although the same types of comparison tests for 2-cycle oils do not exist as they do for 4-cycle oils, I believe they are working on some type of real world comparisons with many competitive oils.

Are you aware that two companies, one being Mobil practicly control the market for synthetic esters and PAO's? Mobil has the ability to make Pao and ester molecules that NO ONE else can....Like I said Amsoil is at the mercy of other people.
One look at there 4 cycle motor oils confirms this. They are still selling pao/ester blends dopped with massive amounts of zddp. Where is the moly, borate esters, boron, antinomy, high tech paos, etc that mobil uses? BTW Amsoil is also not certified for warranty use for this very reason, unless you are talking about on of their cheesy, over priced xl series oils that are not really synthetics in the first place.

also do not understand where you received your information on who Amsoil gets their basestocks
I have my sources;) .

Originally posted by Erik D. Schmid
Dominator is a dual use oil you are correct. I am going to give their Saber 2-cycle 100:1 a try for the fun of it. Mixed at 80:1 though.

Seems to me if you believe its such a good product you would use it at the reccomended 100:1.

I'm happy with the Dominator oil, I'm certain its not the reason the Dolmar seized, and if I could still get the mx2t easily I would still go that way. Didnt know it was a dual use oil, the Amsoil gy I talked to seemed buzzed.

Latest posts

Back