100lb cylinder/back up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob206

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good morning gents, just wondering if anyone is using one of those hundred pound cylinders for back up heat. The propane supplier took our tank since we haven't bought any LP in a few years. Our furnace is the only thing that runs on LP, no appliances use it. Those cylinders seem the most economical, I just don't know if there are any issues with them that I may not be aware? I figured some of the guys here may have some experience with them. Any suggestions?

Would be best if you could store the tank outdoors and only run the line in to the house. Hate to have a leaky fitting blow your house up! It has happened.
For the last 3 years or so, it was always 65 bucks to fill. Went to fill it last week, it had jumped to 80 bucks!
No wonder I am selling so much wood!
Ted

I like mine. Just too handy. I keep a couple of small ones around to swap while I run fill the big one. Around here Tractor Supply has the best price on propane.

one problem..you live in COLD land!!! what WILL happen,is this. when it gets colder than normal outside,you WILL run out of propane..why??? because the amount of "gas off" area of a 100 lb cyl is small..just the dia of the cyl. a horizontal propane tank,,100 GALLON or larger, will have at least 4 times the amount, of "gasoff" area!! and when it gets really cold,,the propane,,doesnt want to "gasoff" very fast!! the cure for this,,is to have a manifold, across the top of 4 cylinders,,which would give you more gasoff area..your furnace,,will pull farrr more gas volumn,,than a stove or propane hot water heater..another cure,,would be to go get one of the propane tanks,they used to use in the back of pickups,,that they ran on propane. they were normally 80 wet gallons,,which woudl be approx 67 galllon fill,,and a lot of gasoff area. if you try to buy one,,make damn sure the build tag is on it,,or no propane co will fill it!!

Last edited:
Rid myself of the 500 gal tank 2-3 months ago. I now have two 100# tanks. Use for back up heat, cook stove, and back up hot water. I figured I use about 80 gal a year, so about four 100#tanks a year. Haven't had a problem yet but I did worry a little that one tank would go empty cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Probably will have to switch over to the other tank in next few weeks. Once I get an idea of how long a tank will last, next year will be less worries.
I wouldn't dream of keeping a 100# tank in my house. Propane leaks are more dangerous than natural gas.

I use 100 lb tanks...don't fill them much at all except for my cooking gas.A few times it gets to 35 below or colder and I have heat tape/cord to wrap a tank to keep it in a gaseous state.

I appreciate the replies. So it sounds doable, but I guess extreme cold may be a concern. I was planning to hook it up where my 500ga tank was. Do you guys that have these use a support or brace of some kind to keep them stable in high winds?

Find where the gas line from the old tank runs in to the house and connect the 100# tank there. There should be a second reg attached to the house. Connect it to that.

I have a 100# tank as a back up and a 20# for emer. Like they say, a heat tape around the tank helps when it gets real cold.

If you get two of them, you could use an auto switchover valve like is found on RVs so you would not suddenly run out...

Yeah, but then I could just get 1 250 pound tank.. Maybe it's 250 gallons.

OT, typing on my DROID using just my thumbs really sucks!

Yeah, but then I could just get 1 250 pound tank.. Maybe it's 250 gallons.

OT, typing on my DROID using just my thumbs really sucks!

there WAS,,,as 200 lb lp tank made years ago.. i have one for the propane for the torch for the shop..you now go from a 100 lb, to a 100 gallon tank. i just sold a used one of them also..

there WAS,,,as 200 lb lp tank made years ago.. i have one for the propane for the torch for the shop..you now go from a 100 lb, to a 100 gallon tank. i just sold a used one of them also..

I did more looking on the web. Looks like 120ga is the next size up. Think I may go that route.

I did more looking on the web. Looks like 120ga is the next size up. Think I may go that route.

Ya, go to one the truck will come and fill up. It will be cheaper in the long run, plus, you will get cheaper propane prices and have a lot more long term eme4rgency storage.

The 100 lbers you have to haul in to fill, a larger permanent tank, one you own, you can find a truck will come and fill it. (I have two hundred lbers, PITA to haul them in all the time, used to do that when we lived in our camper) They just don't like their big *rented* tanks to sit and not be selling propane for them. If you *own* the tank, they don't care, they just want to sell propane.

I don't know if it is still the custom, but people used to bury the tanks. In a way, I like that idea, might be safer. Don't know. We have both here on the farm, all the various buildings and so on that use mass quantities, most are above ground, some are buried. The one I have now is above ground, and since the tornado that gives me the willies.

Go for it.

100# tank will weigh about 170 when full. heavy but manageable. One advantage is that you are not going to get in trouble with anybody's contract stuff to fill your stationary tank.

Propane boils at -44 F
Propane at -20 F will have 11 psi on the bottle. Line pressure on propane is 11" water column. A better measurement of the actual pressure which is 1/2 psi.

Your 500 gallon tank worked. therefore I see no reason that you can't run on a 100# bottle.

-pat

i have a 125 gallon tank for emergency's but can not afford to fill it, I have in the past used 20# ones when we have gone a way for the weekend. it works fine. I stack straw in a wall on the north side of my tank to act as a wind block.

Your 500 gallon tank worked. therefore I see no reason that you can't run on a 100# bottle.

-pat[/QUOTE]

.............did you read,,what crappiekeith wrote??? when it gets cold enough,,the propane,,wont gas off quick enough for the flow for a furnace,,and the burner,,and maybe even the pilot will go out....................in iowa,,even the coldest weve ever had,,never had a problem with a 500 gallon. seemed to have enough "boiloff" area. but i wouldnt be too sure of a 100 lb...crappie said he used a heat tape..................

-pat

.............did you read,,what crappiekeith wrote??? when it gets cold enough,,the propane,,wont gas off quick enough for the flow for a furnace,,and the burner,,and maybe even the pilot will go out....................in iowa,,even the coldest weve ever had,,never had a problem with a 500 gallon. seemed to have enough "boiloff" area. but i wouldnt be too sure of a 100 lb...crappie said he used a heat tape..................[/QUOTE]

I did. I also had to sit thru a long boring class learning all about propane, how to fill tanks, etc. you can't change the laws of physics! a 500 gallon tank at 20 below is gonna have the same pressure as a 1# camper bottle. The only thing you change is the over all MASS of the thing. the 500 gallon tank is going to have more mass, and therefore take a little longer to chill down and lose pressure. At the store here, we run a Toyota Forklift. Used to be stored outside. It gets a smirch cold around here... not as bad as over there... but I know of several times when the truck would get here and I would be the one "chosen to be frozen" and unload the truck with that lift truck.

-25 F, and it started. The engine runs off of a 30 lb cylinder. Wasn't real happy about it, and the hydraulics were very sluggish.
before you drop the facts that it runs on a liquid line, and then to a regulator. The propane carburetor is warmed with coolant, but NONE of that is working when I stuck the key in the switch and cranked it. At -30F Propane would have 6.8 psi remaining. You crack open a valve, and the pressure in the tank drops which causes the stuff to boil off, and provide the vapor pressure you need. I don't know what the pressure drop would be even if it was half, the system should still work.

I think that getting a regulator with a larger btu capacity would be the hot ticket at low tank pressures. Larger valves would flow better, and maintain the necessary 11 w.c. that the furnace requires.

Flame me if you want. I still believe a 100# cylinder would work fine in this application.

-Pat

.............did you read,,what crappiekeith wrote??? when it gets cold enough,,the propane,,wont gas off quick enough for the flow for a furnace,,and the burner,,and maybe even the pilot will go out....................in iowa,,even the coldest weve ever had,,never had a problem with a 500 gallon. seemed to have enough "boiloff" area. but i wouldnt be too sure of a 100 lb...crappie said he used a heat tape..................

I did. I also had to sit thru a long boring class learning all about propane, how to fill tanks, etc. you can't change the laws of physics! a 500 gallon tank at 20 below is gonna have the same pressure as a 1# camper bottle. The only thing you change is the over all MASS of the thing. the 500 gallon tank is going to have more mass, and therefore take a little longer to chill down and lose pressure. At the store here, we run a Toyota Forklift. Used to be stored outside. It gets a smirch cold around here... not as bad as over there... but I know of several times when the truck would get here and I would be the one "chosen to be frozen" and unload the truck with that lift truck.

-25 F, and it started. The engine runs off of a 30 lb cylinder. Wasn't real happy about it, and the hydraulics were very sluggish.
before you drop the facts that it runs on a liquid line, and then to a regulator. The propane carburetor is warmed with coolant, but NONE of that is working when I stuck the key in the switch and cranked it. At -30F Propane would have 6.8 psi remaining. You crack open a valve, and the pressure in the tank drops which causes the stuff to boil off, and provide the vapor pressure you need. I don't know what the pressure drop would be even if it was half, the system should still work.

I think that getting a regulator with a larger btu capacity would be the hot ticket at low tank pressures. Larger valves would flow better, and maintain the necessary 11 w.c. that the furnace requires.

Flame me if you want. I still believe a 100# cylinder would work fine in this application.

-Pat[/QUOTE]

LAWS OF PHYSICS IS RIGHT!!!!! again,how much surface "boiloff" area is there in a 500 gallon HORIZONTAL tank,,and how much surface "boiloff" area in a 100 lb bottle???? over 10 times as much???????? so no matter how cold it gets,,unless its to where it wont "boiloff" at all,,tell me it again.......

Latest posts

Back