12 hours with a 26 horse tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thinning a friends 7 acres. He heats with wood so hes paying me by the cord to drop it by his splitting area. Thought some of you might like the pics. Thats my help on the wood pile, im the guy pulling the winch cable. All in all we pulled around 8 cords. some of it is scronny but he isnt a picky guy. If it will take a flame he will burn it. come to think of it most of us will too haha.

wood 075.jpgwood 073.jpgwood 072.jpg

Big fun!

Ya small diameter but easy handling and real easy splitting, those logs that will need in half or quarters. What species there?

I am helping a good friend thin 20 acres and it is a blast. It's neat to see the before and after. You can almost hear all the Oak's and Hickory's saying thank you for all the sunlight. Still lots more work.

Do you have pictures of area that was thinned?

Big fun!

Ya small diameter but easy handling and real easy splitting, those logs that will need in half or quarters. What species there?

It was mostly soft maple with a little ash white birch and cherry

Good job, kjp. :clap:

Looks like a homemade logging winch. Any details? Running off PTO?

It is a homemade winch, a guy down the street built it. It runs of the pto and is much like any winch you would buy but doesn't have a clutch. I run it with the two stage clutch on my tractor. The guy who built really knew what he was doing and balanced it very well between pulling power and speed, it rarely bogs the tractor down and I usually only run about 1500 rpm with it. At that rpm it pulls at about walking speed. Very impressed with it so far

I am helping a good friend thin 20 acres and it is a blast. It's neat to see the before and after. You can almost hear all the Oak's and Hickory's saying thank you for all the sunlight. Still lots more work.

I'll look through my pics and try to put some up tonight

didnt have any good pics, these are what i could find, timber still on the ground. I mostly opened up old trails in his woods so he could drive his backhoe through it. He had alot of old stone walls so we cut the trails back to them like a border.

wood 009.jpgwood 010.jpg

Back