13 year old running a MS660!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to OSHA, logging is a hazardous work place, and no one under 18 is allowed to work in the logging industry.
A good friend of mine was reported by his ex, for taking his teenage son to the woods and letting him run the skidders and saws. It took him years to recover financially. Now many years later they still work in the woods together. Maybe the market wont shut them down. It is all they know or want to do.
Imo, if some one waits until after they are 18 to do anything hazardous, they have just about waited too long.

I'd be willing to bet a case of good beer that 13 y/o, 120 pound Amish kid can cut a lot more wood in a day than this 61 y/o, 240 pound grandfather can-and has a lot fewer aches and pains the next day as well.

I get a lot of grief on here for some on the saws listed in my sig line. What it doesn't show is that the MS170 is my 10 yr old son's and the MS 180 is my 16 yr old daughter's. They NEVER run them without direct supervision (KILLS my productivity sometimes). But it's GREAT to show them what work is all about and teach them something about the work ethic vs the video game life.

For those that want to bash me for letting a 10 yr old run a saw... he's 5'-1" and 110#. He's going to be a big boy one day.

Around my area there is a crew of Amish logging with horses, I've seen a couple younger kids working with the crew running horse.
But today the one non Amish guy who drives them around stopped in with young Amish kid, carrying a MS660 w/ 24" bar and chain.
Long story short the kid who is 13 runs the "small 660" as he calls it and his dad runs the "big 660" with a 36" bar and once he turns 16 he can use the "big 660". He had to be 5'3" and 120 pounds dripping wet.
They came because they broke the bar tensioner screw after running it with only 1 bar nut on for 3 full days of logging Black Walnut. This story is pointless, but couldn't believe the kid was running such a big saw.

Was he wearing PPE?

I think this argument all comes back to oil ratio. Lighter mix makes it easier to heft such a big saw.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I get a lot of grief on here for some on the saws listed in my sig line. What it doesn't show is that the MS170 is my 10 yr old son's and the MS 180 is my 16 yr old daughter's. They NEVER run them without direct supervision (KILLS my productivity sometimes). But it's GREAT to show them what work is all about and teach them something about the work ethic vs the video game life.

For those that want to bash me for letting a 10 yr old run a saw... he's 5'-1" and 110#. He's going to be a big boy one day.

Good for you for teaching your children some useful skills. There is nothing wrong with letting a 10 year old use a saw in the situation you describe.
Imo, it is very important to start teaching things young. It is much easier to give instructions to a ten year old than most 18 year olds. Their ego is not nearly as developed or sensitive.
Just use caution if where you are taking them could be considered a logging job.

Ha...that Amish kid has 5lbs on me!
5'4" 115lbs....

He's big enough , I just hope he has sense and awareness and vigilant parents to go with it!

Ha...that Amish kid has 5lbs on me!
5'4" 115lbs....

He's big enough , I just hope he has sense and awareness and vigilant parents to go with it!

I live in amo country, Some of the towns near me are 75% amish, from my dealings with them they are great people, most of them are capable of building houses and barns by the time they are 15. I believe they are taught at an early age to hold their own in the family. At young ages you can see them plowing fields with draft horses, the forearms on those kids are tremendous and well earned. But you do see alot of them at emergency rooms!

Back