14.5 hp Briggs quit running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 14.5 hp Briggs I/C that quit running on me last night while I was mowing. It's a new to me used mower that I've been working on. I rebuilt the carb with with a new float needle, seats, main jet, idle jet and few other pieces. The rebuild did not include a new float. It also has new fuel lines, air filter, spark plug, fuel filter, and adjusted valves to specs. It was the first time I've used it a significant amount of time since the carb rebuild. It was running great, then it stuttered and died. I noticed a lot of gas around the air filter. It will not restart. I left it sitting in the yard, but I was going to look at it tonight.

Anyway, what are some things to check? Could it be a bad float that's filling with fuel? Needle not seating from debris? Thoughts?

First check oil if it smells like gas or is way over full, carb float problem, Then pull plug and see if it is locked up or not. ( if the oil got way over full from gas it could have hydro locked , reason for pulling plug. Check fuel filter might have been a bunch of crud knocked loose in tank and now it is blocked. sputtering out sounds like fuel supply. Just maybe one of the adjustment screws rattled out of place.

Hello,
I have that same engine on my log splitter.....just changed the oil in her this afternoon. It's a great engine.......got it off a friend's riding lawn mower....it's a little more power than I need, but the price was right and it didn't have much time on it !!!!! Sorry I can't be of any help !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Update

Thanks for the help so far. Last night I pulled the carburetor off and there was gas in the plastic intake piece below the air filter. So it's definitely flooding with gas. The oil doesn't smell like gas at all and is the same level. However, the oil is a grayish color and I changed the oil before I ran it. I pulled the plug and I can turn the engine by hand. Hopefully there isn't any damage to the cylinder.

The float needle and seat are new. The float didn't have gas in it, but should I replace it? That's the only piece in the carburetor that hasn't been replaced. I cleaned up the carb again since there was some dirt in the bowl.

I should check compression and change the oil, but I need to find why it flooded.

I really do not have a clue as to the gas by the upstairs but if the float chamber was dry then the fuel supply line is blocked or the needle valve area for the float is blocked. float down gas into chamber float up shuts it off. If the float itself does not have a leak( filling internally with fuel) then its back to the system between the tank and that point. Make sure the vent hole in the tank cap is open also.

If the float was leaking (and sinking) causing the needle to stay open you’d have gas running out of the carburetor while the engine is just sitting there not running. There shouldn’t be any reason to replace the float, but you might want to double-check that the float level is set correctly. A little fuel in the air intake doesn’t necessarily mean the engine flooded. For example, if the engine lost spark at full RPM’s it would take several revolutions for the engine to “wind-down”, all the while pulling fuel in. Or, for example, an intake valve not seating properly will cause “spit-back” into the air intake. Really, it’s not uncommon to find a little fuel in that spot on a small engine anyway.

“Grayish” colored oil is another issue… and can be a real concern. Usually only three things will cause engine oil to turn “grayish”…
  1. Some oil additives can make engine oil appear “gray”. Did you add anything to the oil?
  2. Water mixed with dirty oil can make it appear “gray” until the oil/water separates (usually overnight).
  3. The most common cause of “grayish” oil is metal contamination from some sort of catastrophic failure of such as a bearing, cam shaft, piston rings, etc… often the flecks of metal will appear shiny of sparkly when held in bright sunlight.

The bowl of the carb was full of gas. Too much gas is getting past the float needle. I took the float out, put it in a glass of gas, and held it under. I didn't see any air bubbles and it didn't fill with gas. I guess its possible some dirt got between the float needle and seat, not allowing it to close completely. I did find more dirt in the bowl with I had it apart.

With the fuel line off the carb, I opened the shut off valve on the tank and left a cup or so flow out into a glass. It flows great and no debris. It's a tank of fresh gas, not even a week old. The tank vents perfectly.

Just thought I'd post an update. I took the carb off, took it apart, and cleaned it up really well. I made sure to really do a good job on the seat for the needle valve. I went ahead a put a new float in it since the local shop had one in stock and it was cheap. I changed the oil and it did have gas in it. Once it was all back together with fresh oil I ran it for a bit to test it out. Then I mowed my whole yard with it without issues. So far, so good. I'll see what happens. It's on a 48" Ferris walk behind, not the original engine. I was able to mow my yard in half the time it took me with my 42" Craftsman. That was the goal and the price was right. Thanks for the help.

I'm surprised nobody's yet suggested inserting a fuel filter in the line. You really don't want any chunks of debris getting to the carb, and making it difficult for the inlet valve to seat.

Back