14 Year Old "Tree Trimmer" Killed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Very tragic for such a young man. But, I've seen experienced Arborists do it too. He was probably very good at what he was doing, but it just takes one mistake, and your out.

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Very sad story. An attempt to "keep him off the streets" is noble. But unfortunately it did not end well. Perhaps he should have been a ground man, instead of a climber at 14. I am saddened for this guy's family, his life was barely started and now it's over. May God be with the family, and the tree service people as well. I know the tree guy has to be gut wrenched over it all.

TheJollyLogger

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Very sad story. An attempt to "keep him off the streets" is noble. But unfortunately it did not end well. Perhaps he should have been a ground man, instead of a climber at 14. I am saddened for this guy's family, his life was barely started and now it's over. May God be with the family, and the tree service people as well. I know the tree guy has to be gut wrenched over it all.

Sorry, but my heart doesn't go out to the tree guy at all. What kind of ####### sends a fourteen year old up a tree with a chainsaw in his hand? Based on the info we have so far, and the news story, this hack would send anybody up a tree if they were dumb enough to do it, and he had finally run out of crackheads, so he poached the neighbor's 14 year old kid! You give me an excuse for sending a fourteen year old kid up a tree with a chainsaw, and I'll send him roses, but I can't think of one. Jeff

PassionForTrees

PassionForTrees

ArboristSite Operative
Thats bull####! People need to start treating this Job much more serious than what Ive seen lately! It is very technical, serious training needed kind of job/lifestyle. Proper training takes a long time before you send anyone up there, come on 14?? Maybe a little help cleaning up with serious supervision but really 14 has no business up their or down there just the same. I gave a neighbor a quote of $400.00 to take a really dead a long time small tree down and prune off a low leader over his house chipping all and cleaning up only $400. He used a unlicensed company for who knows how much cheaper. I drove by to see bucket truck on lawn tire tracks bad and get this... No hard hat, no glasses , no harness and no shirt! just a gonna get it done. Sucks to lose a young life and there really is no one to blame but the owner of tree company and possibly the home owner too for now being liable not hiring a professional. We need serious change in our industry for that matter we need the change in the whole world..:msp_angry: Sucks God rest him in peace!

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Word.

I see dudes all the time, out with no PPE whatsoeva. The claim Pro, but the first thing to see if they are, is if they have PPE or not. Its this "too cool for school" attitude. I was working by a guy that is new to our area, had heard some decent things about him, then I see his crew, same thing, Only one with PPE was the climber, the rest had nothing and ya could tell they where guessing at what they where doing. Most of them looked like they where under 20.

I think this hack that had the 14 up the tree should be prosecuted for child endangerment and wrongful death.

Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
You guys have it hard enough without some jerk putting someone in unnecessary danger and further crapping up the industries image and insurance ranking.

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry, but my heart doesn't go out to the tree guy at all. What kind of ####### sends a fourteen year old up a tree with a chainsaw in his hand? Based on the info we have so far, and the news story, this hack would send anybody up a tree if they were dumb enough to do it, and he had finally run out of crackheads, so he poached the neighbor's 14 year old kid! You give me an excuse for sending a fourteen year old kid up a tree with a chainsaw, and I'll send him roses, but I can't think of one. Jeff

Thanks for your professional perspective. I was not excusing what he did. It was a very unwise thing to do (the tree guy). Not being a tree guy (arborist) nor running a tree service your view is valuable to me. At the least the blood of this young man is on his hands. If he has a conscience it must be beating his brains out by now, if not he probably swallowed a six pack, or something and kept on cruising. Thanks for your reply. The parents of the young fellow must be having a horrific time. I will be praying for them.

TheJollyLogger

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
And on rereading my post, I hope I didn't come across as callous. I am sickened by this story. 99% of the accidents in this industry are avoidable through proper training and safety precautions, and with the resources available, i.e. the internet in general, and sites like AS in particular, ignorance is no longer a valid excuse in my eyes. If the business owner wanted to keep him off the streets, then fine give him a rake. That sounds like an after the fact justification to me. As far as the parents go, I guarantee you my dad wouldn't have let me get a job climbing trees with chainsaw in hand at 14 (to be honest, he ain't wild that I do it now, and I'm 44), and he certainly cared enough to know where I was and what I was doing at that age. It sounds to me like just about every adult in this poor kid's life dropped the ball, and to me that is,the true tragedy. Yes, the parents and the business owner get to live with this on their conscience for the rest of their lives, but that is small comfort to the kid they all let down. Jeff

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
Man,this is an awful thing .Reminds me of when my boy got his own climbing gear and was eager to start up some trees . He was 17/almost 18 but I watched him like a hawk,every single move ,coaching him. He had good equipment and a about 3-4 years on the ground ,but it scared the hell out of me watching him even though it was just easy-peasy stuff he was doing.

I'm actually happy that we had an arguement a short while later and he moved in with his mom and started working installing stainless stove hoods.

He's back working with me now but, realized climbing is not his thing,it's not for everyone and that's fine with me.

miko0618

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
I disagree...a kid should never be on a tree site. not even with a rake and full ppe. after the work is done MAYBE. but while its going down, never. theres too much going on that can kill you. even if everything is done right, you still have to be aware. I don't think kids have that type of awareness. they cant stay focused long enough. besides, what age are you actually mature enough to say you want to risk your life to make money. I am glad I waited until I lost my super hero powers before I ever went into a tree.

Pelorus

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
My son grew up helping his old man (me) work in his spare time on weekends and summers off school. He developed a strong work ethic and a good skill set. Also saw me get battered and hurt a couple of times. Am thankful he never got injured, and even more thankful that he has pursued a different career path, although he continues to retain some interest in this profession.
Seeing that news report about the demise of that poor 14 yr. old kid is very sobering.

Latest posts