Tragedy near Boydon, Ia. In Sioux County.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you perhaps give us a link, so as to find out a bit more? Was it in the news, or were you closer to the story than that?

EDIT: I suspect this story of a 2 year old is what you were referring to. Two year olds should never be turned loose near falling trees. Can't run fast enough to get out of the way, and don't know to even try.

https://www.ktiv.com/2023/11/24/sioux-county-sheriff-investigates-toddler-death-near-boyden/
"The toddler, identified as Nathan Klok, was in an area where family members were cutting down trees when a tree fell and struck the 2-year-old. Klok sustained severe trauma and died as a result of injuries sustained at the scene.​
A funeral service will be held Sat., Nov. 25 at 2 p.m. at the Netherlands Reformed Congregation in Rock Valley, Iowa. Visitation with the family will be on Nov., 24 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Porter Funeral Home in Rock Valley.​
1701240102537.png
Condolences may be sent to Porter Funeral Homes. In lieu of flowers, the family prefers memorials be directed to the Boyden Fire and Ambulance crews."​

.................EDIT: I suspect this story of a 2 year old is what you were referring to. Two year olds should never be turned loose near falling trees. Can't run fast enough to get out of the way, and don't know to even try.
I guess to some the grieving family, church membership, and entire community is not suffering enough with the tragedy. It appears that some on the internet feel the need to post judgements after the fact. :(

My prayers go out to the entire community of this young boy. I know his name will be raised in prayer this coming Sunday among many

I guess to some the grieving family, church membership, and entire community is not suffering enough with the tragedy. It appears that some on the internet feel the need to post judgements after the fact. :(
The whole point of the injury and fatality forum is to use it as a learning and cautionary process to try and avoid future recurrences.

The whole point of the injury and fatality forum is to use it as a learning and cautionary process to try and avoid future recurrences.
My opinion is this is not a place to pass judgement on a grieving family of a 2 year old boy. The folks in the community are already grieving and do not need more blame blasted all over the internet regarding the tragic death of a 2 year old.

If I was a family member of an adult worker in the industry than that perished I would feel differently about it being broadcast but I damn sure will tell you if I was the parent of that child and a internet jockey felt the need to publicize my family's pain ................well I would be quite disgusted.

Fine, be disgusted. Maybe someone reads this and thinks twice and double checks their drop zone, and another 2 year old gets to live. We can't bring him back, but maybe we can do some education and help prevent another tragedy. That's what this thread is all about... education and prevention of a recurrence.

It appears that some on the internet feel the need to post judgements after the fact. :(

Just stuff it, Bill. Go grind your axe with me somewhere else.
No one has posted any "judgments". And you are picking fights where none are called for, nor welcome.

My opinion is this is not a place to pass judgement on a grieving family of a 2 year old boy. The folks in the community are already grieving and do not need more blame blasted all over the internet regarding the tragic death of a 2 year old.

If I was a family member of an adult worker in the industry than that perished I would feel differently about it being broadcast but I damn sure will tell you if I was the parent of that child and a internet jockey felt the need to publicize my family's pain ................well I would be quite disgusted.
This is not being "broadcast on the internet."
This is being posted in a very specialized forum, with the intent of educating others to prevent it from happening again. When I had my accident, I posted here as a cautionary tale, and we gamed it for months. As painful as it was for me to relive it I did so in the hope of saving someone else from going what I went through. Get off your soapbox and stop trolling.

I don't think that this is the situation at all. I imagine we all feel a bit of rage over a senseless tragedy that didn't need to happen, and I'm sure that the family in question is feeling this x1000. But no one here is attacking the family rather we are reinforcing safe work habits.

For myself, I greatly prefer to have no family members in the area when I'm doing this sort of thing so that they 1)can't get into harm's way, and so 2)I don't have to distract myself by making sure that they are not in harm's way as a fell is in progress.

Back