14 Year Old "Tree Trimmer" Killed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point Miko, and I see the times that it is not appropriate. However, I have raised 3 boys and had a few neighborhood kids as well that grew up around me that I took out on the jobs, but I was teaching them, they had all the PPE on and I would never let them near a saw, chipper............anything other than a rake and the cut end of some brush. Always supervised, they were not allowed to do anything by themselves. If you are going to teach the young ones, great, but you have to be responsible about it. This guy here, was just trying got get a job done and he didn't feel like doing it himself, so he sent a kid up, not his kid. I bet, and by saying this, I mean no disrespect to the child, but if you watch that video and look at the background, you all know the environment this kid was in, a bad one. I bet that kid was in a bad environment all the time, all of his life. Desperate for money and attention, he was probably having the time of his life until it happened.
A fool was leading the way there and now he gets to live and lie about it.

I think you can have them out there, if they are yours and/or have permission, but you gotta handle them with "Kid Gloves". Always watching them, keeping them outa harms way. Teaching them the hazards and the deadly consequences when they don't listen.
Today my 19 y/o will be working with me in a tree, and for the first time he will have a saw. I will be irritable and nervous and I will watch every single move he makes. My 22 still isn't ready yet.

My son is 17 and has worked all summer with me as a ground guy. He has seen me do alot of different removals and the other day as I was setting up ropes to bring down a hung up maple he said, dad there is no way at this point I could do your job because I dont even understand what you are doing. I was impressed with his candor and proceeded to show him how and why I was setting things up the way I was. At 14 no way would I have my boy or anyone elses boy out there other than at a distance to watch. Some kids advance faster than others but at 14 let alone 17 you just can't know how dangerous this job is. My heart goes out to loved ones of this young man a life cut too short because of some very poor decisions. Stay safe guys, don't take any thing for granted, and check again befor you cut.

Am I wrong or does our industry standards say you need to be 18 years old to perform our work? I understand fathers taking their sons into the field but if we are going to call ourselves professionals, shouldn't we follow the standards?

It seems that around here industry standards are more of a guideline than a rule and I see nothing wrong with teaching my boy at 17 the ropes (pun intended)and we run a very professional safe business.That being said I could not immagine sending someones kid up a tree with a saw let alone my own. Industry standards here are a joke for many company's and I often hear people bag on the line clearance guys but I always see them wearing their PPE. I am torn on the regulation issue but when I see some of our local hackers who follow no rules, guidelines, don't have insurance, and for that matter sometimes don't even wear shirts, I gotta wonder if things need to change. I respect your opions guys and I am going to keep doing what I have been as I am teaching my son a skill and work ethic he will carry with him for the rest of his life.

Without derailing the thread -- to me the underlying question is, "where were the parents?" Too many unanswered factors about them (even though I don't recall in the story). Then again, after working with young people for over 25 years I can say that many of the problems can be traced to the aforementioned question. Have a great day.

Proper training

You know what bad with the proper training n some experience he could have been really good.Everyone knows that one bad move n you are out.Ibeen doing this for years,I learn something on a regular basis.You jus don't send someone up ,bucket r climbing that are newbies.I learned a whole lot from watching from the ground

Latest posts

Back