16 strand vs 12 strand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I second MM...don't splice both ends.

Treejunkie, call NER, they'll fax you the splicing directions. Have fun with them...measure carefully!

I like the fly. I started using it just a few months ago (I am trying it out as my "short" rope....so I am not really seeing it's TRUE lightweightedness).

12 vs. 16...I'd go with 16. I like round ropes.

Splicing the 12 usually is not possible. Here are two exceptions I can think of. If the hank of rope you have came off a spool that was made much looser than usual (the ropes are often not made the same...2 Blue Streaks can be different, you know) then you might be able to splice the looser woven True Blue. The other exception is Yale's Varilay process where they weave a loose spot in the rope so that they can purposely put a splice there later. That's a good deal.

Ok, I have to go to bed now!

love
nick

I use Blue Streak, and like it. It also wears really well. I perfer 16 over 12 for climbing and 12 over 16 for rigging in natural crotches. 12 strand is very cheap, and it wears well also. I get short lengths (under 100') for really cheap prices, such as 75' for $29.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
I still like the Fly.
I have loads of different climbing lines, the Fly is still my favorite.

I couldn't agree more.

I can't find the fly here and am about to order 200ft for my final certifications at the end of this month - chainsaw, aerial rescue in outer-canopy.....it requires a 150ft line.

I can order a spliced 200ft hank of Fly from the USA (with shipping)cheaper than I can buy a 150ft spliced 16 strand here.

I luvs my fly

I almost never use a natural crotch, and have had no problems with picking, etc.

IMHO hockling comes from your hitch, not your rope. My 4-2 is a hockling hitch. I need to revist Brian's 4-1 as it didn't hockle or try reversing the legs on my braids.

btw - 16 strand over 12

I don't want to say a certain line sucks because it is not the number strand I prefer. Off-hand remarks often alienate folks and accomplish little.
True Blue is all polyester and so far as longevity goes, if your're
into getting your $ worth I have doubt it can be beat. I think the same could be said of pro Red.

Practically all arborist climbing lines are all polyester in the cover Some have nylon cores....but that doesn't matter too much.

A lot of people prefer the 12 strands for rigging. 12 strand line is made with a few fat strands, rather than many skinny strands. Fatter strands can put up with more wear. A hard-lay 3-strand is hard to beat if wear was your only concern.

I like round ropes. 16 strand is good. I like the fly, too.

love
nick

I started out with hardlay, I hated double braids limp feel at first.

I wish there was a stiffer braided line out there that could be used for regular rigging.

John, have you tried the SuperBraid Plus that Sherrill had in their '03 catalog? I think it's made by Wall. It's firm. I think you'd like it.

love
nick

Latest posts

Back