192T vs. 192TC (Andy?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a Stihl MS12TC in the pawn shop today for $90. The only thing I could see wrong with it is that it is has a broken brake handle. My buddy has a 192T. I have looked on the Stihl site and can't find any info on what the difference is between the T and the TC. Can anybody tell me? And if anybody happens to have a spare brake handle laying around, let me know.
Thanks!

Sounds like you got a great deal.
MS192T-CE is the latest version of this saw. The "C" is generally used to indicate a "comfort" or "convenience" feature of some sort. Either Stihl's Quick Chain Adjust or maybe compression release..... Elasto-Start or Easy-2-Start.

I'll check on the brake handle for you.
Later,
Jethro

Thanks for the reply! Usually I have no problems with Stihl's letter ID system, but this one has me baffled. Like I know that "T" stands for "Top Handle", but I can't figure out the "C". And no, this one doesn't have the Quick Chain Adjust, so that can't be it. I did see on Stihl's site where the current model carries the CE designation, and as I understood it (but I could be wrong) the "E" stood for the Easy 2 Start feature, but I saw no explanation for the "C" part of it.
I know this isn't really a big deal, but it bugs the heck out of me and I'd really like to know the answer. :confused:

I am interested in the difference as well. The manual for the 192T describes one feature of the 192TC and that is that is one half pound heavier, but that is ALL!

Anyone with more info, please chime in!

I am interested in the difference as well. The manual for the 192T describes one feature of the 192TC and that is that is one half pound heavier, but that is ALL!

Anyone with more info, please chime in!

I believe that all the crap associated with the e-z comfort start deal, makes the saw heavier.

And no, this one doesn't have the Quick Chain Adjust, so that can't be it. I did see on Stihl's site where the current model carries the CE designation, and as I understood it (but I could be wrong) the "E" stood for the Easy 2 Start feature, but I saw no explanation for the "C" part of it.

Going by the IPL the MS192T logo is attached to the standard starter style and the MS192TC is attached to the easy to start version.

I could not find anything about the MS192TC in the medicat information but I did find this about the MS192C
Thanks to STIHL ErgoStart which is included as
a standard feature and the integrated fuel pump, the
MS 192 C can be started easily and conveniently.

Regards

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. I notice you have both 192T and 200T. I am looking to purchase one or the other. Is it fair to say, in your experience, that the 192T is lighter and the 200T is more powerful and I really just need to decide which is more important to me? Are there any other key differences I should be aware of in your opinion?

The MS192 is built the same as the hobby saws with the crankcase design whereas the MS200 is built similar to the professional series crankcase designs. If money is not a consideration or a minor consideration then I would go for the MS200 for the little extra power and the better build design. If you are only going to be using it occasionally then the MS192 would probable be best. I know a few arborists who have traded the MS192's in on the MS200's but they are using them on a daily basis.

Regards

Phil

Thanks for the clarification!

Even though I am only a casual user, I purchased an 026 instead of one of the "home" saws because of this very same difference. I only want to purchase one saw for a particular purpose and I don't want it to be disposable if something happens to it. I want it to be repairable. One Stihl dealer dealer I stopped in at said he wouldn't do anything other than carb work on the "home" saws.

Latest posts

Back