1957 IEL Pioneer RA 100cc project/restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice saw.
my buddie just picked one up this week for 50$
he has not had the time to clean it up yet though.
does anybody have any oil mixture recommendation for this saw?
should it be mixed at 16:1 or 40:1 with the newer style oils?
thanx

I'll take some pics of that chain tomorrow.

For parts... eBay or personal contacts are your best bet unless you know of some dealer that has a stock of NOS parts kicking around.

The factory 12:1 oil recommendation was based on basically just using regular 10-30 oil back in the day. Using today's 50:1 oils at that mix probably wouldn't hurt anything but I generally run everything at 40:1 minimum anyway.

Nice, yours looks in even better condition than mine. I love that it has a block of wood for the pull handle like mine too. I've never seen one with that little "kickstand" thing off the bottom of the recoil housing though.

I'm going to take mine up to my old parts friend here today if he's around his shop. He has a good fir log sitting out that he uses for test cuts so I'll see if he'll let me shorten it up a bit for him. Gonna get a new intake fitting for the carb too if he has one, and maybe an original Pioneer bar if possible too. Other than that this one's considered done for the time being I think. NEXT!

BR:...see if you can do a couple of close-up pics of that chain....no markings on mine, 18" original bar, maybe chain....

Jerry/BR...any parts available for these?...and literature.

When it comes to parts for these vintage chainsaws you have to dig deep as there is no Pioneer stores as such but just ask around and post on here and maybe someone will have what you need. Literature? Do you mean sales literature or are you looking for manuals? Very nice original IEL-RA ,got to like the redneck pull handle, not quite original but functional just the same. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Mike, is this shot of the chain close enough for ya?

attachment.php

Sure looks ugly that close up eh!

I had mis-remembered earlier, the "Pioneer 404" is stamped on every cutter link, and every driver is stamped ".404 58" to denote the pitch (some are worn off), while the tie straps just have "404".

I got a new (to me) clutch unit from my friend today so I'm going to replace the springs and see if that helps the snapping and intermittent engaging. He said it certainly shouldn't be doing that, but otherwise said it was running well (started in 3 pulls there today, cold from yesterday afternoon). The "new" springs feel about the same but look a little tighter, so hopefully they work out. He told me he's never once had to rip apart a clutch on one of these because they simply never broke, so it was a new experience for him too 50-odd years after the fact.

Little kickstand thing on the recoil side is a foot peg for the ground starters, most were removed for the drop starters like myself.
Pioneerguy600

Makes sense now that you say that, I'd just never seen anything like it before. It doesn't look like mine ever had that option. I've been trying to stand with one foot on top of the rear handle which is tricky as there isn't much flat space there for my shoe to grab. Now that it's running well, drop-starting isn't an issue, but when it was acting up it was just way too tiring.

EDIT: Mike, I just noticed that you were also asking about literature for these saws. I have the IPL which I grabbed from the RA's page over at Mike Acres' site HERE. The link to the PDF is at the bottom of the spec list. I've been passively looking for a user/service manual too but so far haven't found anything.

Last edited:
Excellent thread!!! Thanks for posting. Great to see that there are a few of those old IEL's around, and when people post pics of them it sparks some interest with others. Guess I'll have to head out to the shop and dig mine out.:)

Good chain shot...I'm not sure I want to drop start that hawg! I don't think my chain is original. The RA is very torquey.
Crane: I wouldn't mind an old Remington myself!....Very unique styling.
Old CAD:...It's a-hittin' me hard now!!!.. also looking for old Mac's / XL-12's
:clap: :clap:

I was wrong in my thinking....after reading about IEL in the "book", I thought these were post-IEL....did they have a dealership network in the States at that time?

i've got 2 of them saws, one running and the other complete but not completely assembled......... any ideas what they're worth? a so called buddy drew out all the mill monies on my last job and left me high and dry. forced to sell most of my stuff to re-coop loses. i'm in western wa. if anyone may be interested. they're RA's with IEL vancover

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back