1971 GMC Dump 27k miles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good looking truck!
tell me about the engine and tranny! v8 or the super 6? 4 speed, right?
vacuum brakes with the big ass booster under the drivers step?
-Ralph

V8, Ralph. with a 4 and 2 speed rear. It belonged to a farmer up in Michigan. He left it to the guy we got it from. He had the dump bed made a put a ton of money into bringing everything back up to snuff. Didn't set any speed records on the way home. It sure brings back alot of memories.
Phil

nice looking truck. glad to hear you won't have to shovel anymore chips. it makes for a long day when you have to shovel them. it should last a really long time with the low miles on it . good luck with it..

That is a real good looking truck. I would sport it all over town. Way more classy of a treeman truck than some of these new ones.

You going to build a chip top for it?

We haven't decided about a top yet. My little Morbark 2070 doesn't have enough snot to blow any chips out of the bed so that's not an issue. We may just mesh tarp it till we get tired of that and build one later on. That's a darn nice one that you have. I'll save that pic for some ideas later.
Phil

I fought with plywood tops for two years. So I ripped that off, cut the top down 6 inches to square it up(I hit a tree once), Then put the 2x4 ridge inside, and trimmed out the outside with 1x4 to hold the two layers of plywood walls from splitting and such. When I originally built it I ripped out the old plywood, leaving the bare metal skeleton. Then I used 1/2 inch plywood straight up from the floor to the ceiling. On the outside I put another layer running sideways above the metal rail. I just put screws and liquid nails to hold the two together. Then I cut the corrugated metal with a metal blade in my skil saw and layed it in there, screwed to the 2x4s. I can walk on the top and it is fine. Use good materials. That scrap peice of plywood you see at the front is my beater board. when it gets chewed up I replace it so I dont blow out the front of the top.

That is one good looking truck. The only problem would be I would just drive around all day looking spiffy!!!!!!!!

I think I would cry when the chips started to flow in to that good looking rig.

That is one good looking truck. The only problem would be I would just drive around all day looking spiffy!!!!!!!!

I think I would cry when the chips started to flow in to that good looking rig.

LOL, I thought I was the only one who had a hard time putting a nice truck out to work, knowing the wear and dings that are comming!
-Ralph

We haven't decided about a top yet. My little Morbark 2070 doesn't have enough snot to blow any chips out of the bed so that's not an issue. We may just mesh tarp it till we get tired of that and build one later on. That's a darn nice one that you have. I'll save that pic for some ideas later.
Phil

Is there something wrong with your chipper? My 2070 can blow chips all over the place without a box.

Very nice truck, I'd hate to use it for sure.

I don't think so but since it's the only 2070 I've ever used I don't have anything to compare it to. We used to use a 16 ft. trailer with 3 ft. sides and throw a piece of plywood on each side near the front. I had a mesh tarp on a roller at the front and I'd raise that up to about 8 ft. Not much bounced out so I think I'll be OK with this.
Regards,
Phil

Like most GM vehicles it can probably be added by changing the steering box and adding a pump and belt. The bolt holes are probably already on the frame and the engine block. Have fun.

I don't think so but since it's the only 2070 I've ever used I don't have anything to compare it to. We used to use a 16 ft. trailer with 3 ft. sides and throw a piece of plywood on each side near the front. I had a mesh tarp on a roller at the front and I'd raise that up to about 8 ft. Not much bounced out so I think I'll be OK with this.
Regards,
Phil

Is yours the 35hp wisconsin or the 86hp diesel? I always forget that there is a 2070 and a 2070xl. I have the xl which will eat 10" logs.

Thats one of the nicest chip trucks I've seen in a long time!That body style is awesome!!!Whats it have for a tailgate and hitch?

Thanks. We used it all year and it's been a good truck. The only trouble we had was a wheel cylinder that started leaking. The body was built for hauling grain so the tailgate has a grain door in the lower center. It was built to hinge from the top, bottom or swing. We've only used it as a swing open as the darn thing is so heavy that I'm not sure one guy could lift it back up if it was bottom hinged. If we're on a big job I put a "duck board" at the back to make sure nothing falls out until we get the gate shut. The only negative is that we have to unhook the chipper to swing the gate shut. The hinges on the gate are 3/4" thick so after we dump we can leave it pinned open for the next job. We may build a light weight wood tail gate in the spring. Not sure.
Phil

Nice truck. My first chip truck was a 1969 Chevy C50. Your truck reminds me of mine but yours is a cream puff, mine was a wreck.

Back