1971 GMC Dump 27k miles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The body on the '92 Ford I'm putting together is similar to yours.It originally had a gate that swung out from the top but it was missing when I got it.I built these doors using 1/2" x 2" channle and 11 ga sheet steel.
NORTONTREESERVICE0191.jpg
NORTONTREESERVICE0271.jpg

That looks great. I never gave much thought to having it open in the middle with a double door. Maybe we'll try something like that because I could miss the chipper chute. In response to your other question, the hitch has a bolted on pintle plus a 2" receiver below that so I can hook up to the pintle or whatever I have a ball for. The guy that built it overbuilt it which was good. The down side is that it's pretty heavy.
Regards,
Phil

Where abouts in NE Ohio are you?I go out to ACRT (Akron)for classes every year.It would be cool to stop by and check out that truck in person(and maybe get a turn behind the wheel :) ).I'm getting ready to weld a hitch plate into my '92.I'm going to weld in a receiver tube and use a pintle hook on a receiver.As you can see in the photos I posted earlier the frame ends under the truck aways.I also like the versatility of a receiver hitch.

Very nice truck. When I was younger those trucks ruled the logging woods. Every one either had a "Great Mountain Climber" or they wanted one. Some freinds of mine had had a red one just like that (except for a dead tandem and a log rack) nicknamed Prince Albert.
We have chipped into dump trucks without a chip bed and have had good luck just raising the bed just a few feet and pointing the shoot down some.
Double doors are nice but they put you right in the middle when opening, wich can be bad if you have some big rounds just waiting to fall out.

Nortree, you're more than welcome to stop by. I live in a small town about 40 miles north, northeast of Akron. We're shut down in January & February so the trucks is stored on a farm some distance from my house but we'll be dragging it out in March to start all over again. Just drop me an email.

Joesawyer, I doubt that most people remember Prince Albert in the red tins. I'm not even sure that people name their trucks any more. There used to be an old farmer around here that called his pickup "ol dynamite" . He said it was because it could blow up without warning.
Regards,
Phil

Sweet truck man, and if the 350 ever goes south you have plenty of room to swap in a 12 valve 5.9 :clap:

Back