1st Saw for a Homeowner: Stihl MS211, Husqvarna 440 or Shindaiwa 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a homeowner looking to buy my first saw for occasional use around the home. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS211 ($339 Canadian, $50 off regular price)

2. Husqvarna 440e ($390 Canadian, comes with case and extra chain)

3. Shindaiwa 352s ($429 Canadian)

Any suggestions as to which one would be the best one to get. I'm leaning toward the Stihl.

I'm a homeowner looking to buy my first saw for occasional use around the home. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS211 ($339 Canadian, $50 off regular price)

2. Husqvarna 440e ($390 Canadian, comes with case and extra chain)

3. Shindaiwa 352s ($429 Canadian)

Any suggestions as to which one would be the best one to get. I'm leaning toward the Stihl.

You will be happy with either one. And the Stihl is the cheapest so what are you waiting for.

Spend the saved cash on PPE(personal protection equipment= chaps, ear&eye protection, etc.!)!!!

I've heard good things about the MS211. The Shindaiwa 352s I would skip, if you want Shindaiwa go with the 446s, much better saw.

Mike

The Stihl 211 or husky 435 would be my only choices, either one of these will serve ya fine.

I'd take the 440, if I could get one without the "e" option (as we can here).

Both the 435 and the 211 have a good rep on here though, but the Husky surely looks better! :laugh::laugh::cheers:

Just a point that the Creamsicle lovers won't tell you...

The Shindaiwa has a proper metal case, vertically split, with a bolted cylinder - just like the big boys. The MS211, on the other hand, is just another crappy clamshell design like Echo. The Husky, I don't know.

On build alone I'd buy the Shindaiwa. Not even a contest.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

The Shindaiwa has a proper metal case, vertically split, with a bolted cylinder - just like the big boys. The MS211, on the other hand, is just another crappy clamshell design like Echo. The Husky, I don't know.

On build alone I'd buy the Shindaiwa.

You speak of true points but when we have tree outfits running these saws(211 and 435), I don't think their durability is in question despite their clamshell design. If you have to question clamshells, check out the MS290. Bring your Shinny on anyday against either of these 2. Stihl and Husky have the #1 for a reason.

On build alone I'd buy the Shindaiwa. Not even a contest.

:agree2:
You are right on that one....

We have several customers running the 211 on dozens of crews. So far zero issues and everyone has been rather impressed with it.

Biggest question, who is your strongest servicing dealer?

Stihl and Husky have the #1 for a reason.

Boy, I'm glad you enlightened me! I won't waste time looking at how something is actually constructed, because sales numbers are obviously the best indicator of quality. That means I don't have to think for myself anymore! Yahoo! That will save me a lot of time!

I don't have to bother seeking out a Cordon Bleu chef, because McDonald's is the biggest restaurant in the world "for a reason." I don't need to spend all that money on a Mercedes or a BMW or even a Rolls Royce, since the Toyota Camry is the most popular car in the country - that must mean it's the best, because after all, it's "#1 for a reason"!

You've turned my life around!

:clap: :ices_rofl:

Boy, I'm glad you enlightened me! I won't waste time looking at how something is actually constructed, because sales numbers are obviously the best indicator of quality. That means I don't have to think for myself anymore! Yahoo! That will save me a lot of time!

I don't have to bother seeking out a Cordon Bleu chef, because McDonald's is the biggest restaurant in the world "for a reason." I don't need to spend all that money on a Mercedes or a BMW or even a Rolls Royce, since the Toyota Camry is the most popular car in the country - that must mean it's the best, because after all, it's "#1 for a reason"!

You've turned my life around!

:clap: :ices_rofl:

No need to have a Big Mac attack, you can have one of these too! Just stop in at your local Creamsicle dealer.:clap:
attachment.php

The Husqvarna 435 is a nice saw. It is also strato-charged, and sports plenty of power for 41cc. I've been using ours for quite some time now, pretty impressive little saw.

The "clamshell" design doesn't bother me much. Even some of the larger Stihl (MS-390) and Husqvarna (455) are clamshell engines. Aside from making P/C mods more difficult, they are decent saws for the price range.....Cliff

Thank you for all of the responses. They were all quite helpful. I went to the dealer today and saw all 3 saws. They all look and feel good but the more I look at Shindaiwa, the better I like it. Only question is which model. I can get the 352s model for $399 or the 446s model for $489. The 352 has a 35 cc engine with 2.4 hp and comes with a 14" bard, while the 446 has a 44 cc engine with 3.1 hp and comes with a 16" bar. For an occasional use person, would the 352 be good or should I spend a bit more and go for the 446?

Back