1st Saw for a Homeowner: Stihl MS211, Husqvarna 440 or Shindaiwa 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrantC

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
They all look and feel good but the more I look at Shindaiwa, the better I like it.

Yeah, that's a pretty common reaction. Well, at least it is for SOME of us! :D

Only question is which model. I can get the 352s model for $399 or the 446s model for $489. The 352 has a 35 cc engine with 2.4 hp and comes with a 14" bard, while the 446 has a 44 cc engine with 3.1 hp and comes with a 16" bar. For an occasional use person, would the 352 be good or should I spend a bit more and go for the 446?

If this is your primary (only) saw, definitely go with the 446. No question.

joed

ArboristSite Member
When you say occasional use, clue us in. Clearing fallen limbs, firewood for camping, ect?

For me, occasional use is really occasional use. 3-4 times a year to clear fallen limbs and cut down some small trees on a typical suburban lot. I have no other chain sawn and haven't used them that much.

SAW4FUN

SAW4FUN

ArboristSite Lurker
I'd highly recomend the husky 440, my firewood partner has one & it's a great saw f/ what you are needing. but really boils down to what fells best to you & dealer support is just about most important :cheers:

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
joed, I notice that you're a T.O. boy as well. Since you mention build quality as being high on your list, I think that you should check some of the Dolmar saws. I did. PS-510, 50 cc engine, 3.3 hp for $370 cdn. Very solid build quality. Not taking anything away from the Shindaiwas, really nice saws, just an option to perhaps consider.

joed

ArboristSite Member
joed, I notice that you're a T.O. boy as well. Since you mention build quality as being high on your list, I think that you should check some of the Dolmar saws. I did. PS-510, 50 cc engine, 3.3 hp for $370 cdn. Very solid build quality. Not taking anything away from the Shindaiwas, really nice saws, just an option to perhaps consider.

Thank you for the advice. I'm not familiar with any Dolmar saws? Do you know which dealers carry them?

mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The Husqvarna 435 is a nice saw. It is also strato-charged, and sports plenty of power for 41cc. I've been using ours for quite some time now, pretty impressive little saw.

The "clamshell" design doesn't bother me much. Even some of the larger Stihl (MS-390) and Husqvarna (455) are clamshell engines. Aside from making P/C mods more difficult, they are decent saws for the price range.....Cliff

I think we'll be seeing more and more clamshell saws in the future. It might be a little harder to change the P@C but sure makes beaing replacement a lot easyier. Steve

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the west end there is one on shorncliffe road just south of dundas, another one in woodbridge just north of hwy. 7 and another in mississauga, north of the queensway on haines road. I haven't been to the one in woodbridge but the other two guys seem knowledgeable. The one in m ississauga also carries stihl. My guy also has the solo line. Just check out the Dolmar website or let me know if you need more info.

joed

ArboristSite Member
In the west end there is one on shorncliffe road just south of dundas, another one in woodbridge just north of hwy. 7 and another in mississauga, north of the queensway on haines road. I haven't been to the one in woodbridge but the other two guys seem knowledgeable. The one in m ississauga also carries stihl. My guy also has the solo line. Just check out the Dolmar website or let me know if you need more info.

Thanks tallguys for your help. I went down to the dealer on Haines Road today. He had the Stihl and Dolmar 350. He wanted $370 for the Dolmar $370 but you don't any wood kits with it like you do the other. So, I'm still down to my 3 original choices:
1. Stihl MS211 ($390 with case, dvd, chain, hat)
2. Shindaiwa 352s ($399 with case, chain, hat, no DVD)
3. Husqvarna 440 ($390 with case, chain..no hat, no DVD)

I like the Stihl because it's a good saw and you get the most goodies. I like Shindaiwa because the build quality looks better than the Stihl and Husqvarna. I like the 440 because of that tooless chain tensioner. I have very little experience with chainsaws so I can like devices like the tooless chain tensioner to help ease the learning curve. Anyhow, I'm stuck between the 3. Not sure which to go with.

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
joed, you sound like me about a week ago.

I looked at both the husky 440 and 445. Consider the 445, only $30 more but more power (45cc, 2.1kW/2.8hp) and traditional chain tensioner because I'm suspicious (and it seems many others of this forum are also) of the tooless type.

Comparing the stihl ms211 ($389) and ms230 ($379) they both had less power than the husky and cost more money. Also looked at ms250, solid unit and good reviews, but $499. Not where I wanted to be.

Remembered hearing good things about dolmars. I got offered one heck of a deal, IMHO on the ps510 (50cc, 2.4kW/3.3hp). A bit overkill compared to the ps420 I was after but hey, better more than not enough right? Build quality was the better than the others I was considering.

My parting thought is buy the saw you really like and don't worry about which comes with more freebies (they are tempting!) Some dealers give away those dvd's and caps, cases are worth $30. Cheers!

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
joed, you sound like me about a week ago.

I looked at both the husky 440 and 445. Consider the 445, only $30 more but more power (45cc, 2.1kW/2.8hp) and traditional chain tensioner because I'm suspicious (and it seems many others of this forum are also) of the tooless type.

Comparing the stihl ms211 ($389) and ms230 ($379) they both had less power than the husky and cost more money. Also looked at ms250, solid unit and good reviews, but $499. Not where I wanted to be.

Remembered hearing good things about dolmars. I got offered one heck of a deal, IMHO on the ps510 (50cc, 2.4kW/3.3hp). A bit overkill compared to the ps420 I was after but hey, better more than not enough right? Build quality was the better than the others I was considering.

My parting thought is buy the saw you really like and don't worry about which comes with more freebies (they are tempting!) Some dealers give away those dvd's and caps, cases are worth $30. Cheers!

aldo

ArboristSite Operative
I can't comment as I have none of the saws you mention. The closest I have is a Shindaiwa 377 and in the Stihl range I have an 021. They both perform well. My preference lies with the 377.

Just my opinion ........ but........ I would never let a tooless chain adjuster be the reason I chose a saw. The nano second it saves in adjusting time it loses significantly in saw cleaning time. The toothed plastic cover plus the cam on the bar etc, pain in the ring, that's on my Stihl 021 anyway.

joed

ArboristSite Member
joed, so how'd you make out? I'm guessing its the shindaiwa.

Nothing yet, tall guy. I've got a budget of about $500 including tax to spend. I'm either going to get a small snowblower (Toro powerlite) to go with my bigger 2 stage or the chainsaw. The snowblower isn't in the stores yet. It arrives at the end of the month. I want to see how small it is. If it's too big, I'm not going to get it and I'll go with the chainsaw instead. I was at the dealer today and looked at the 440 from Husqvarna, pretty nice saw but you're right. I'm leaning toward the Shindaiwa 352s. I was also considering the Stihl MS181 but it's $370. That's about as much as the other 3. I really like the build on the Shindaiwa. It looks like it's built more toward commercial quality than the Stihl and Husky.

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
i'd get the 211.

the more i look at it and hold it,the more i like it.the air filter cover is SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

saw feels great in the hands.i wish i needed one.