2 Cycle Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one tell if the oil they are buying meets ISO-LE-GD or any other standard?
It will say what standards it meets on the container. I bel;ieve husk and stihl's(black bottle) new oils meet these specs. Mobile MX2T also meets these specs and is available at Autozone for 3.50 a pint. It doesnt have any of the fuel stabalizers that the oems oils have though

Thanks bwalker. My Stihl oil has an orange bottle-no specs. I appreciate the tip about Mobile at Autozone.

Hey Sawfish, I don't know about your brother and his saw but the crankcase 'loads up" with a certain amount of oil during use with mix gas. It is possible to run for several minutes on the "drop" oil fefore it is all washed out and used up by straight gas. Do you suppose that your brother was pulling a fast one on you.;)

Daggers "bright stock" percentage?
To meet ISO-L-E-GD standards most oils replace the traditionaly used high viscosity petroleum bright stock with a synthetic componet like polybutene. In order to pass the low smoke protion of the standard the oil must be partially if not fully synthetic. Bright stock is good for preventing scuffing, but tends to smoke and leave nasty deposits. BTW I have been using the Stihl black bottle mix for several years and really like it. I just inspected the piston and cylinder on my fs 85 trimmer and it is great shape, piston showed very minimal deposits, exhaust port was spotless and its on its original plug. This trimmer BTW has had the snot run out of it for three years during which it required nothing but fuel and line.

Brands Price and mixture for fuel

So I get this big saw 066 to do this big job and it came with a tank of fuel premixed 44:1 Castrol synthetic 92 Octane and it ran like a champ. I took some yamaha 2 cycle air cooled oil 91 octane and per Stihl recommendations mixed it 25: to 35 :1 put it in the saw and it won't run. The first pull it tries to start and the the comprression button releases but it doesn't start. So after several pulls the ???? thing is flooded with fuel.
The questions are this: Do I need to clean out the fuel system and go get Stihl oil for a 50:1 mixture or should I go synthetic? What is a great price for Castrol synthetic? I didn't see a synthetic specifically for a chainsaw. Are you guys using the snowmobile 2 cycle synthetic?

mix

get some good mix(Stihl, Husky, Jonsered,etc) and use it. I don't get all the fancy stuff, ie, synthetic. Why woudn't the manufacturers use it if it is soo much better? Besides, where is the advantage if you only mix 44 to 1. Stihl has been 50 to 1 for years. I don't see any failures due to mix. Air leaks and dirt ingestion, but not from good mix.

I havent seen any synthetic oil by Stihl yet in a black bottle here in Canada. Im sure all 2 cycle oils are good if mixed correctly, but the 927Maxima really smells, so I am going to buy some K2 Maxima.
John

Im sure all 2 cycle oils are good if mixed correctly, but the 927Maxima really smells, so I am going to buy some K2 Maxima.
Your 100% correct John. There are just some that are better than others.Old timers probaly scoffed at the idea of using 2 cycle oil as sae 30 served them well for years. Same typ of guys scoff at the idea of using good synthetics now.
As far as value goes oem mix oils stink. Minimal quality and a price point that is higher than Mobil mx2t. Mx2t is cheaper and years more advanced formulation wise. Why wouldnt I use it?

Ben, You got stock in Mobile?

Back to milkjugs: I sold a brushcutter to a farm chemical company. They mixed their fuel in used milkjug like chemical jugs. Some of the plastic apparently disolved in the fuel and caused just the condition Stihltech referred to. Apparently the jugs are insoluable in water based herbicides but not pertoleum based fuel. I didn't realize this until I actually witnessed it.

Ben, You got stock in Mobile?
NO, but when the war starts I am going to buy some about a week into it.:D
BTW I have seen the milk jug thing. A buddy had a homy weeb whip that seized. When we disassembyled it wee found that the ring was frozen in its groove by molten plastic. HDPE doesnt burn the cleanest,lol.

Milk jugs ?

What is a milk jug ? If you milk your own cows you never have a jug thus you never have the urge to reuse it as a gas can.

Support the American farmers, without them you would not pay the lowest percentage of your yearly income for food in the world.

Bill

I agree John.

It isn't like they are "Black Lablel" return cans. In all honesty I believe there should be a return credit/refund on all items that can be recycled including paper. Yes i am serious guys. No matter how much we recycle ther will still be a need for renewable, responible harvesting.

Bill

I'm old enough to remember Carling Black Label but I forgot the 'jingle' . Do they still make it ? Don't remember the returnable cans but I think that was before recycling , you know . when you had to use a can opener ! I still have some 2 cycle oil that have those requirements . Ha !

Why did Dougs avatar come to mind :confused: You really shouldn't put her down like that, one day when your llamas gone you might appreciate her.

Latest posts

Back