2 FLOoDed STihl saws ( not talking about gas)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fnpurist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm here in south Louisiana where we got a 1000 yr flood last August. We along with thousands of others lost our house and 90% of our belongings.

Things have been pretty chaotic so I haven't had a lot of time to try and fix my 2 stihl saws that got flooded. One is a STihl 362 and the other a MS250

I did drain all the water out and pour mix down the spark plug holes over and over to try and clean out all the water. I bought new aftermarket carbs for both but had zero luck getting either one to work. I also changed the air filters and gas.

Does anyone know what else I should do? Never had to fix a saw that was completely submerged for 2 days in water

All help is much appreciated guys

Didn't even see that

I would change out the fuel lines and take it 100% apart and clean it out.
+1 on testing for spark.

My suggestion would to completely tear down both saws and check everything. I tore down a super 72 Poulan a couple weeks ago and the piston was stuck because of moisture. There was a film built up between the piston and cylinder. I think this was caused because of moisture, but I am not sure. Tom

Have you gone through the checklist of necessary things to run (compression, spark, fuel/air mix).

As a former recreational snowmobile water skipper and marine mechanic I've unfortunately seen my share of wet engines.

If they were sunk in clean water then just get the engines running ASAP.

If they were sunk in dirty/silty water you need to tear them down and completely clean them or the silt will destroy the internals in short order.

(Assuming they aren't loaded with silt) If the engines have spark it's just a matter of cranking them over enough with the plug out until you can no longer see mist coming out of the plug and longer. Put in a new plug and it should fire off soon enough. Once it gets running give it some time to burn off the excess fuel/moisture mixture that's in the case before revving up.

If you have older saws with points and they've been sitting there's a chance the points rusted. If you have newer Mtronic saws you could be in for more issues but I'm not familiar with how they react to water.

Secondly if you have new carbs it's possible that they are so far out of tune that they are actually your main problem. Was there something wrong with the original carbs?

Latest posts

Back