2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it this guy .The one who was cutting aloft on a ladder with no tie in .He definitely desreves some rep.alright.
I'll give him a chance to respond first.

not really sure. Its a different user account definitely was M.Green-SVTS but both M.Green have a Maine account so maybe he has two.

:yawn:

Another one hand thread...er...fight....

I do know a few production workers who do not cut one handed with their 020/338, and i believe them.

For me it is occasional use, I prefer the old standard where it had to be the exception and approved my the foreman.

What so many forget is that the ANSI - Z133 is to protect the worker from the unsafe workplace; from bosses and foremen who put production above safety and training. Much of it is derived from injury and fatality statistics, and what the big companies see as actions that add risk to the work environment.

SO the old standard would put the onus on the company, in then rewrite of the standards the horsetading cause that part to disappear. Now it is all wink and nod and if someone gets hurt, it will be the employee who is to blame.

not really sure. Its a different user account definitely was M.Green-SVTS but both M.Green have a Maine account so maybe he has two.

I have withdrawn my previous offer of rep , on the grounds of the possibility of mistaken identity.

But I wiil most certainly hit you with some pos rep as soon as I am able Stihl-O-Matic.

I have withdrawn my previous offer of rep , on the grounds of the possibility of mistaken identity.

But I wiil most certainly hit you with some pos rep as soon as I am able Stihl-O-Matic.

I wasnt rep fishing but I always do appreciate it so thanks in advance.

Pdqdl, Ouch!

Most the time I try to use both hands but sometimes use one hand if I think the other would be better for useing as balance by holding on to another branch. So it just depends but mostly I try to disipline myself to use both hands. Once a nieghbor walked over and asked if I could cut down a limb out of his Silver Maple. I had been drinking and had a pretty good buzz but not overly drunk at the moment so I said sure and went over to house, climbed up and cut the branch off. To further my use of poor judgment I used one hand on the saw and somehow placed my other hand in the cutting path. Somehow I ended up tearing off my middle fingernail and leaving a little gash on my middle finger. Luckily I was buzzed enough not to feel it too bad, and when I got back down we drank some more so it didn't ruin my night other then feeling pretty stupid. Since then I have made it a personally policy not to drink and climb. Never did figure out how I put my finger in the saw path:confused:

In my opinion if one hand is on the saw then where is the other hand. As TMD said in #17 you have to think where the saw is going to go. If you make a habit of one handing a saw you become conditioned to using it that way, so what happens when your in a rush one day and you forget to think where that other hand is.
I had an experience a couple of years ago where I was taking the top out of a tree, I had left a stub on an adjacent branch close to my cut where I held on with my left hand. It had been windy that day and it was gusting perpendicular to my notch, as I was cutting through the wind blew the top to the side and pinched my saw which forced the saw forward into my hand that was holding the branch. Sliced my pinky up real bad. If I hadn't been wearing gloves I think I would have lost it.

If you one hand a saw always think before you cut it takes just one tiny mistake to :censored: yourself up.

EVERYBODY cuts one-handed, otherwise we wouldn't spend $500 - $600 for a top handled saw. :dizzy: :confused: they might tell ya different, and actually have some ridiculous safety restraints, but do it anyway. :laugh:

I wouldn't say "everybody" does it. I do not a few who I have never seen one hand a saw and state they have never done it. Personally I have at times one handed my 200T. BUT know the risks, do it with extra care.. like anything else being aware of the hazards is half the issue.. knowing the risks and what causes them. Then you may be able to avoid them and one hand fairly safely in some circumstances. I know I do it.. but would not recommend it to others :)

Latest posts

Back