2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol all you guys that hate mac saws I feel your pain but I think bmw owns the company now never know bmw could come out with a mac that would blow your mind afterall they make expensive cars...but for me I'm just starting out and with the way the economy is money is tight..

We understand. I used to have to tighten the cylinder head on my top handle every day. and sure, if it didn't start I would huck it out the tree and sure as shinola it would start then. Hey, if it starts and is sharp...

Yeah great joke.

But I also saw another Mac video- 610 on some blue spruce. It didn't look good.

Sorry about the bad joke guys, I really didnt think I was going to have to explain my sarcasm.

Back on topic: there are many times rigging trees where its safer to use one hand, I'm not gonna sit there and play kissy face with my backcut when I could be behind the tree away from all that action.

Last edited:
Sorry about the bad joke guys, I really didnt think I was going to have to explain my sarcasm.

Back on topic: there are many times rigging trees where its safer to use two hands, I'm now gonna sit there and play kissy face with my backcut when I could be behind the tree away from all that action.

No, No, I should have known and thanks for reminding me, I have to make a quick phone call.

One hand

Yeah, I do it, but only because no has been able to show me a safer and more efficient way in the situations that require it.

The company I work for doesn't allow one handed cutting at all. But when you are up in the bucket over a road with traffic without flaggers (yeah I know, you are probably asking why not hire some. The company is cheap) you need to hold the limb, cut it and then either swing it to the side of the road or move your boom till the limbs out of the way and then drop it.

When clearing powerlines it's near impossible to cut with two hands 100% of the time

You should learn to do speedlines. Long limb? Set your line at the base of the limb, daisy chain your loopies up the line to the end, then cut them all off one at a time. Each loopie becomes the setpoint for next cut. Rig them all in advance, then cut away. Watch the groundmen complain because of how fast you send down the branches..

...I still miss that 2" of extra bar quite often. I'm thinking of shopping for a new 16 incher for my one handing...maybe I'll go check out Baileys right now..

Just put a 16" on your 200t. My dealer will substitute a 16" for a 14" at no cost. They pull 16" just fine, and make a huge difference when cutting larger limbs "to the left". #### blocky engine; it gets in the way!

Back when I started out ,used to use the poulan [pull on] DA.
Anybody ever sling one of those tanks around?
The only thing plastic on them were the pull chord handle and the manual oil button cover.

Compared to those things ,,A 200,or 192 feels like holding a softball at the end of your arm.

I agree with the poster who talked about knowing where the bar is at all times ,and the plane of the bar.
Never had a problem with one handing a TH saw.

The warning labels may as well read "Keep both hands on saw at all times ,wink wink"

TH saws by design are not as stable or ergonomic as the same size saw with a rear handle,when used as reccomended.

Just my .02 wotrh.

Just put a 16" on your 200t. My dealer will substitute a 16" for a 14" at no cost. They pull 16" just fine, and make a huge difference when cutting larger limbs "to the left". #### blocky engine; it gets in the way!

Tried to rep you there... that sounds about right on to me. :cheers:

cant wait to try that one out.. ordering soon.

some people..

Lol my uncle has a 20 inch bar on a homelite c72 once I got it running for him and went to saw some wood the guides where way to high i told him they needed filed down a bit he tried it out it seams to be cutting good he says so i filed them down for him and it eats though wood now. someone mentioned a good file guide from stihl? that makes the cutters a bit agressive

Back when I started out ,used to use the poulan [pull on] DA.
Anybody ever sling one of those tanks around?
The only thing plastic on them were the pull chord handle and the manual oil button cover.

Poulan Super 25 DA....tons of power....quite heavy....gave some nasty muffler burns. We used to call them Pollock saws (no offense meant) as they were painted green and if the grass was long it might be difficult to find them lol.

make a huge difference when cutting larger limbs "to the left". #### blocky engine; it gets in the way!

This will really make the safety guys cringe but I am sure others do it.

I am going to make that cut with the power head upside down (2 hands on saw tho....one on top handle and one on rear of casing)

You have seen my prune jobs. Does it look like I am doing a lot of undo bashing?

No, I meant ME bashing around a tree! I hate climbing around a bushy tree just to prune with the 200 either on my belt or swinging on the lanyard! It gets stuck, it hits me on the back of my legs, dings up my boots, rips my pants, I get vexed...the day does not progress well:chainsaw:

No, I meant ME bashing around a tree! I hate climbing around a bushy tree just to prune with the 200 either on my belt or swinging on the lanyard! It gets stuck, it hits me on the back of my legs, dings up my boots, rips my pants, I get vexed...the day does not progress well:chainsaw:

192t 12" bar, problem solved.

I had that saw many years ago. sounded exactly like that, and weighed nothing.
It was temperamental as heck, and one day it wouldn't start, again, so I threw it from over 80' up.:mad:

My ground man picked it up, and it started first pull.:censored: he insisted on tying it on and sending it up.
I warned him.
the second time I tossed it, I solved the problem permanently. Stihl 020/200 ever since.

This throwing of saws outta trees that didn't run was commonplace back in the late 60's to early 70's until more dependable saws were produced.

Most commonly tossed was the Homelite Super 2 (guessing name). It had 2 throttles (front and rear) and was a POS. That saw in the video, called the Mini Mac was also a POS and got some air time. The McCullough...Power Mac 6 was the 020 of the era and quite dependable with plenty of power. I worked for a company called Shearer Tree in Trenton NJ that everyone would pick their saw up on the way out the door in a little cubby hole and put it back at night. Maybe 40 or them in the big wall unit.

I remember one time I was new to that company and the company foreman, Cal Smith, lent me his Power mac 6 in a tree as I was out of gas, and I ended up dropping it, prob got caught in a kerf thinking back. It bounded down a hill and chased him, almost hitting him. He was fuming, but I wasn't someone you wanted to jump in their sheeat. I brought him two parts PM 6's the next day I had and we were good as gold from then on.

One time we went out in the Head boats off the coast of NJ. One guy, the crane op, hooked a 8 to 10 foot shark and mate agreed to pull him up on deck as the guy wanted to put him on his station wagon and take him home with him. We, maybe 6 of us, were drunk as skunks. By morning after sobering up and the mate smacking the shark all night with his club, the guy no longer wanted to take the big stinking fish home on his roof. The mate kicked him out the gate into the ocean, and he just swam away like nothing happened (5 or 6 hours later). One tough animal.

Sorry to digress.:chatter:

Latest posts

Back