2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a trip up to Washington just below Tacoma to visit my Daughter and grandson.
While I was there I went to meet Ric [saw bones] and see his place.
I bought two saws and some parts I was needing. I had a nice visit with him.

I got this Craftsman [Reed Prentice] 351.50110
I will take this apart and restore it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a Disston DA211. I got a bar coming for it .
Now just need to find a chain and helper handle.

attachment.php
It looks like you did real well Cliff :cheers:

I've got a question for you 2-man guys. I recently picked up a complete McCulloch 5-49 and would love to make it run again. But realisticly, the coil checks bad and the piston is seized, REALLY STUCK. I've torn it down and only got the piston to move with the grease fitting in the spark plug trick. Would this saw be a better candidate for yard-art/boat anchor?

Very nice Cliff. Are the craftsman/reed prentice saws as simple as they look? Or am I being mislead. Where is the oiler, if it exists.

Thanks LP.

Yeah it's pretty simple. I have not had a chance to look it over real good yet.
It has what seems like a suction pump in the oil tank cap.
I will know more about once I start to work on it.

I've got a question for you 2-man guys. I recently picked up a complete McCulloch 5-49 and would love to make it run again. But realisticly, the coil checks bad and the piston is seized, REALLY STUCK. I've torn it down and only got the piston to move with the grease fitting in the spark plug trick. Would this saw be a better candidate for yard-art/boat anchor?

It depends on how bad it is in the cylinder and how bad you want fix it.
5-49's are pretty common and easy to get. I found a engine on line
a few years ago for $50. I have a 5-49 and a 99 both lock up and corroding in side.
There just going to be parts saws.
I do have 3 good 5-49's that could run.

Go up to Glen Allen and get one already running from Chrisbiker and see his whole collection of Mac two-mans!
Igpoe:cheers:

It depends on how bad it is in the cylinder and how bad you want fix it.
5-49's are pretty common and easy to get. I found a engine on line
a few years ago for $50. I have a 5-49 and a 99 both lock up and corroding in side.
There just going to be parts saws.
I do have 3 good 5-49's that could run.

I think I'll look for a better engine, but 5-49's really aren't that "common" around here. It's the only one I've seen other than at shows. I only paid $80 for the complete saw with a good trans., a real good chain, and a 42'ish inch bar with helper handle. It probably would be a better parts saw. Thanks for your input.

'Cuda,
If you phone Chris McMillan at: 804-339-7084 he'll help you find what you want, no kidding. He's the Mac dude in your area. He's got 7-10 running two-mans. He's in Glen Allen, Va. There is essentially no difference between your 5-49 and a 12-25.

'Cuda,
If you phone Chris McMillan at: 804-339-7084 he'll help you find what you want, no kidding. He's the Mac dude in your area. He's got 7-10 running two-mans. He's in Glen Allen, Va. There is essentially no difference between your 5-49 and a 12-25.

Igpoe
I sent Chris a PM a couple days ago and haven't heard anything so far. Thanks for the number, I'll definitely give him a call probably this weekend. I tried again today to remove the piston to no avail. I'm sure at this point it's ruined beyond usefulness. I just can't believe that anything could be so tight! If you want a good laugh, look at the photos of my "rig". Keep in mind that the jack is capable of about 7,000 pounds of force. That wasn't enough so while under pressure, a friend and I simultaneously pounded the steel plate with splitting mauls:msp_scared:. I moved it from top dead center down to where 1/8" of the skirt protrudes from the cylinder. And thats after weeks of soaking with PB Blaster, and several days of electolysis......UNCLE!! I give up!

I got this Mall Pneumatic saw a few months ago.
It needed a helper handle and just got one..
The saw came from a guy that collected old rail road
items. He had a large collection and he said it was time for him
sell it all.

Model 26650. 3/4 pitch chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Igpoe
I sent Chris a PM a couple days ago and haven't heard anything so far. Thanks for the number, I'll definitely give him a call probably this weekend. I tried again today to remove the piston to no avail. I'm sure at this point it's ruined beyond usefulness. I just can't believe that anything could be so tight! If you want a good laugh, look at the photos of my "rig". Keep in mind that the jack is capable of about 7,000 pounds of force. That wasn't enough so while under pressure, a friend and I simultaneously pounded the steel plate with splitting mauls:msp_scared:. I moved it from top dead center down to where 1/8" of the skirt protrudes from the cylinder. And thats after weeks of soaking with PB Blaster, and several days of electolysis......UNCLE!! I give up!

I don't blame you to give up on that piston and cylinder.....................just save the rig for possible use later. When CAD sets in, you'll likely need it again. There's other P&C to be found. Gazillions were sold. Be sure and keep up with our Central Va. GTG thread 'cuz we'll be expecting your attendance with running saws next spring. A new and interesting location is in the works.

I don't blame you to give up on that piston and cylinder.....................just save the rig for possible use later. When CAD sets in, you'll likely need it again. There's other P&C to be found. Gazillions were sold. Be sure and keep up with our Central Va. GTG thread 'cuz we'll be expecting your attendance with running saws next spring. A new and interesting location is in the works.

I talked to Chrisbiker Saturday and the prognosis sounds encouraging. He seems to be quite the sick saw doctor. ;) I plan to hook up with him soon for some pieces parts and guidance. The GTG sounds good, but as far as "keeping up with threads", I'm still struggling with this forum, as this is the first one I have ever actually participated in. Here's a couple photos of my 5-49. She ain't real pretty but she makes me happy. :laugh: Hope someone will tell me how to make photos show up, instead of a link..?? Cuda

I talked to Chrisbiker Saturday and the prognosis sounds encouraging. He seems to be quite the sick saw doctor. ;) I plan to hook up with him soon for some pieces parts and guidance. The GTG sounds good, but as far as "keeping up with threads", I'm still struggling with this forum, as this is the first one I have ever actually participated in. Here's a couple photos of my 5-49. She ain't real pretty but she makes me happy. :laugh: Hope someone will tell me how to make photos show up, instead of a link..?? Cuda

Kinda looks like you're makin' love to that thing, Cuda!

241209d1339330100-p4270249-jpg

241210d1339330108-p4270253-jpg

Cuda,
Here ya go:http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188287.htm

Latest posts

Back