2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the top!

I havent figured out why they are 2-man saws. Seems to take 3 to run them.
:monkey:

MAC is going back together slowly.

Anybody have a pattern for the dogs for a 7-55?

Ok, so how would a fellow go about finding a diagraphm for a 7-55 :)

Ric, I just wonder if the MCwelder runs like it counterparts- runs when it wants to :D

those big 2 man are tough to find carb parts for.

the small saw, ( 940 1-92 1-93 ) and the welder are a different design.

Cliff may of have worked on his 940. I havent worked on any of these yet.

I wonder if the metering diaphragm for those big 2-man Macs is the same as the one for a McCulloch 77. That's a saw that was only made from 1957 until 1959 or so. Haven't seen that carb on any other saw, with the possible exception of the McCulloch 49 (and I've only seen a drawing of it on the cover of a combined IPL for both the 77 and 49 listed a while ago on ebay). 28696A is the # for the McCulloch 77 diaphragm. It's a BIG sucker....

I wonder if the metering diaphragm for those big 2-man Macs is the same as the one for a McCulloch 77. ....

I think that is another animal. the two man carbs dont even look like a carb.
they are about 5 or 6 inches long

Back to the top!

I havent figured out why they are 2-man saws. Seems to take 3 to run them.
:monkey:

MAC is going back together slowly.

Anybody have a pattern for the dogs for a 7-55?

wa do ya mean 3 men ? you must be holding it wrong :monkey:

7-55.jpg

CIMG0352.jpg

CIMG0353.jpg

CIMG0355.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if the metering diaphragm for those big 2-man Macs is the same as the one for a McCulloch 77. That's a saw that was only made from 1957 until 1959 or so. Haven't seen that carb on any other saw, with the possible exception of the McCulloch 49 (and I've only seen a drawing of it on the cover of a combined IPL for both the 77 and 49 listed a while ago on ebay). 28696A is the # for the McCulloch 77 diaphragm. It's a BIG sucker....
As big or bigger than a coke can. haha. But I did find some diaphragms though. Thanks IGPOE and Stinkbait for the tip!

( and yea :agree2)

wa do ya mean 3 men ? you must be holding it wrong :monkey:
1 one each end, and one to adjust it. HAHA. Just got done reading the manual, and I am more confused than I was to start with.

As usual, awesome pics Cliff! Thanks for the parts.

7-55 is back together, with only one spare bolt and nut. :D A fastener for the cylinder shroud, but Im not taking the whole thing apart to put it back on.

Ready to fire it up, and the transmission bearings were froze up. And somebody used 2 carter keys as a sheer key for the sprocket. :cry:

those big 2 man are tough to find carb parts for.

the small saw, ( 940 1-92 1-93 ) and the welder are a different design.

Cliff may of have worked on his 940. I havent worked on any of these yet.

Here is a NOS Mac 2 man carb.

Bill

Bill
On that note. The IPL shows the primer rod running down to the primer with the s-shaped part down into the primer. But that is WRONG! Crooked part goes up to the primer button. Just thought maybe that would save a few quarters from somebodys swear jar :D

Thanks for that picture Bill!

Ancient McCulloch Carb Rambling...

I understand that, but they could still use the same metering diaphragm (and maybe pump diaphragm, if the 2-man saws have one). A 77 "carburetor" doesn't look like a carb either. It's actualy a four part 'system'. If anyone wants to see an IPL for this saw, I can sent them one. Just PM me your email address. Oh, and for on-topic content...................the McCulloch 77 IPL shows a huge 2-man bow saw assembly for this saw!:givebeer:

1)The primer pump is bolted to the bottom of the fuel tank casting and draws fuel through its own sintered bronze filter, while the 'pump section' of the carb system draws from a large felt wick pad. A push on the primer forces fuel mist into the upper handle/chassis/throttle body casting to give a rich mix for the engine to fire on.

2)The 'pump section' is about the size of a pack of smokes and lives within the tank (which is on the top of the saw). Consists of the part of the bottom tank casting, a large oval diaphragm, and a cover that's held down by about six bolts IIRC. Impulse comes up through an alluminum tube from the crankcase into the tank bottom. The pump sends fuel up, over, and down to the metering 'chamber'. That's a path of about 8-10 inches!

3)The 'metering chamber' is below the upper handle/chassis casting (and a good 4-6 inches directly below the 'pump section'). Has a spring loaded check valve, a LARGE metering diaphragm, several passages, and the idle mixture needle. Metered fuel goes 2-3 inches back up into the upper handle/chassis/throttle body casting.

4)The chassis/throttle body/upper handle casting houses the 'throttle gate' (McCulloch's term), the main mixture needle (which is about four inches long, and is adjusted with a complicated thumb lever) as well as the 'small' and 'large' venturi assemblies. Air passes down through the air filter and into this casting. It then hangs a left and passes through the throttle gate as fuel is atomized into it. It makes a U-Turn through another casting (under the flywheel)and is drawn through the rotary disc valve and into the crankcase where it follows the usual path...

Anywho. I wouldn't be surprised if the diaphragm used in the 'metering chamber' (again, McCulloch's term) of a McCulloch 77 is the same as the diaphragm used in some 2-man Macs of the same time period. The 77 has the multi-stage 'system' because of packaging concerns. That big honkin' 2-man carb assembly would never fit the 'achitecture' of a 77. Dunno if you fellows would care to check part number 28696A (for the McCulloch 77 metering diaphragm) against your 2-man IPL's. I'd really appreciate it (as would Mark H I'm sure) since he's receiving my 77 soon, and that saw needs a new metering diaphragm. If he can get a new diaphragm for it that'd be great. It'd make his job of getting it running right much easier.:cheers:

As big or bigger than a coke can. haha. But I did find some diaphragms though. Thanks IGPOE and Stinkbait for the tip!

I can imagine. The metering diaphragm for a McCulloch 77 is that big as well (in diameter). Has a metal plate in the center with a small bracket with a slot for the metering lever. The diaphragm is roughly a 'rounded square' with four screw holes and one teeny 'passage hole' near one of the screw holes.

Bill

What a beast that is Bill. Where's the metering diaphragm in that monster?

Last edited:
Aaron, my IPL for the 7-55 doesnt show the diagraphm, but Mac head Stinkbait sent me the number of 18199B. And thats what I used to get my parts.
And yes it has the metal plate also, but didnt come with the new parts. Reused the old one.

attachment.php

Aaron, my IPL for the 7-55 doesnt show the diagraphm, but Mac head Stinkbait sent me the number of 18199B. And thats what I used to get my parts.
And yes it has the metal plate also, but didnt come with the new parts. Reused the old one.

attachment.php

Interesting. Thanks for the diagram and # Zach. Is that the number for the whole carb assembly, or for the diaphragm? I'll point Mark towards Stinkbait. I should have taken a few pics of the McCulloch 77 setup when I had it apart...:cry:

Last edited:
Just the diaphragm

edit: I dont like that word, I cant ever remember how to spell it right. I even have it wrong on the picture. Oh well

Bill, by any chance do you have a picture of the "replaceable cartridge type oiler" in the 7-55.

7-55 Popped the other day, but that was it. Got some gaskets to replace :D

Some pictures

I was looking through some old pictures to find one of a excelsior machine and stumbled across these from the Somerset (VA) Steam and Gas Show. They were taken in 1998 and depict a 2 man saw in action.

SomersetII2008194.jpg

SomersetII2008195.jpg

SomersetII2008192.jpg

SomersetII2008193.jpg

Latest posts

Back