2 Power heads + 1 bar = ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used or seen used a 2 powerhead bar setup in recent times? I believe some have used this setup for milling. I realize they have to be tuned to similar rpms. I have seen claims that it is really no better than a single powerhead. Any first hand observations?

They do not need to be "tuned for similar revs" They do not need to be the same size or the same brand. A 7 hp saw will benifit form a 5 hp saw helping to move the chain and it will notice when the 5 hp saw stops running. Let's say I was pushing a car and you came to help me push, we don't produce the same horsepower but I would be glad you were helping push. If this were Hulk Hogan and Pee Wee Herman pushing the car, Hulk would still feel the load decrease when Pee Wee started pushing.

I feel the only advantage of a duel setup would be the increase in useable torque, i seen 2 Huskies 3170 bolted together last weekend at the saw races they were sharing 1 cutter bar looked impressive but the weight would kill you especially in a speed cut event. Over the years i have seen a few competitors running a twin setup but where are they now ??
Note the twin unit setup's were both Huskie powered.

Mc Bob.

sedanman said:
They do not need to be "tuned for similar revs" They do not need to be the same size or the same brand. A 7 hp saw will benifit form a 5 hp saw helping to move the chain and it will notice when the 5 hp saw stops running. Let's say I was pushing a car and you came to help me push, we don't produce the same horsepower but I would be glad you were helping push. If this were Hulk Hogan and Pee Wee Herman pushing the car, Hulk would still feel the load decrease when Pee Wee started pushing.

Growing up, we used to use this kind of a setup for milling lumber, mostly planks. Anyway, we used one of these setups with Either two Mac 850's or when we got the 125C, the 125C on one end and an 850 on the other.

No rpm matching needed, the chain does a fine job of that.

Which reminds me...don't mean to hijack the thread, but what ever happened with the clip of the Oregonians and the 350 Chevy V8 chainsaw? Haven't seen that one in a while. More power always sounds like a large time to me!

I saw a set up bearing an 088 on one side and an 084 on the other, on-line some where. One of them was upside down and on of them was running backwards. Strange?

That is on Madsens site.

Sedanmans analogy of two people pushing a car is very correct.

Latest posts

Back