2 stroke oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking around for some different oil mix to use. We have been using Stihl but I dont like buying it in the little bottles. We finally talked 2 of our local Stihl dealers into getting us some gallon jugs but the cost is pretty high. So I have been searching for a better (cheaper) alternative. I have found Echo gallons a bit cheaper, but no by much. This past week I was a our local Fleet Farm and saw several different 2 stroke oils for sale that are quite a bit cheaper than Stihl or Echo and I am wondering if they are any good. Of coarse now I for got the exact brands that I saw, but I know they were made my major oil companies like Mobil and Castol I think. The all say they work with chainsaws and one of them even mentioned Stihl on the label. So my question to you chainsaw gurus here is: Are these other brands any good or are they junk? We only run Stihl saws and blowers and I dont really want to wreck a saw to save a few bucks. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

If you don't like Stihl Ultra pricing.. buy a major brand 100% synthetic mix oil... Shopping for "any oil" based on cost isn't a good idea... there is a lot of "dino" oil out there...

Be very careful and don't buy any TCW or "all 2-stroke engine" oils... air cooled only.

Last edited:
For the time you are going to spend saving $10...just buy a gallon of the Stihl...good oil from what my research has shown.

Personally, I use the Amsoil Saber Pro, but I had to special order it in quarts and it was roughly $11 or so per after tax...didn't save a penny....

For the small amount that most peoplel go through...get the good stuff!

Sorry about this, but I am too lazy to search for similar topics. :deadhorse:

Your profile says you're an arborist so you might use a little more oil in a year than some people.

Even at that, the dollar savings for off brand aren't all that much. And they're nothing compared to the cost of all the downtime and buying another saw because cheap oil toasted yours.

One thing you can look into is goto your local motorcycle shops and see what kind of 2 cycle oil they have in stock. Many of the dealers around here stock some synthetic type of oil in the pint, quart, & gal sizes. If you use enough of it I'm sure thy can order 5 gal buckets of it as well.

The only thing I don't like about not using oil made for saw's is that most don't have any fuel stabilizers in the oil. But if you use it fast enough you don't have to worry about it.

Anyway.. I think like most of the others... It's just not worth it using cheap oil.

Dave

I'm getting two gallons of husqvarna synthetic blend that has a fuel stabilzer next week to run in my saws, blowers and other misc two strokes. It is $28.00 a gallon local to me verse stihl that is $80 for stihl Ultra the local stihl support is getting pretty crappy around here. Thats why I am going to just start leaning towards husky and shindaiwa and the better dealer supprt.

I use the Husky XP syn blend in everything,(mostly stihl blower, etc.) and keep refilling some old one gal mix bottles so I can get the larger size. Curious to see if my local dealer will ever stock Ultra and what the price will be.

I've used the Stihl and Husky syn. without problems. But I started using Stamix (sp?).
My Husky/Dolmar/Sindalwa dealer sells it for 6 dollars for 6 bottles of 32 to 1 stuff. He swears by it and I've not notice any differance in it vs the Stihl oil, but my wallet does.

It is all BS. Run any oil you want to in your Stihl saws. Just replace the saw every 3 years or so. That is much cheaper than buying a quality branded oil like Stihl Ultra.

Always run drain oil for the bar too.

It is all BS. Run any oil you want to in your Stihl saws. Just replace the saw every 3 years or so. That is much cheaper than buying a quality branded oil like Stihl Ultra.

Good advise. I think that is what I will do. :buttkick:

And if you can't wait 3 years, take off the airfilter and insert a 1/4 teaspoon of fine sand into the carb throat now and then.

Hey, what kind of drain oil do you run? Used synthetic, or dyno? Do you run old muscle car drippings, or used hybrid crankcase oil? I think I found a great source for drippings myself: the local dump! People leave bottles of used motor oil there, and they have this big tank of 'blended oil' it in. Its a real gold mine...

Please do not take the above post seriously. It was intended for amusement purposes only. I would never run any old oil crankcase drippings in my saws of unknown origin! I only run used crankcase oil from my own truck and chipper in my saws!

Last edited:
I found that old bacon fat is good - sure makes you hungry while cutting.

Wow! Now that is an idea! Yummmy! I can smell your saw cooking from here!

I think that it would be far far easier just to use LARD though. I see it at the stores in big buckets for really cheap. If you buy it labeled Manteca, it is even cheaper. Smear it on your bar and cut the wood! Or just dip your bar in the bucket of lard and you are good to go!

Last edited:
Hey, what kind of drain oil do you run? Used synthetic, or dyno? Do you run old muscle car drippings, or used hybrid crankcase oil? I think I found a great source for drippings myself: the local dump! People leave bottles of used motor oil there, and they have this big tank of 'blended oil' it in. Its a real gold mine...

Please do not take the above post seriously. It was intended for amusement purposes only. I would never run any old oil crankcase drippings in my saws of unknown origin! I only run used crankcase oil from my own truck and chipper in my saws!

I'm surprised at you. You know you should run the old oil only after you've drug a magnet through the drain pan to get out the bigger chunks of metal.

Where I currently work, they used to run drain oil through a coffee filter and then use it as bar oil. One of the oldtimers swore that they never had any problems doing that. That same oldtimer has a "knot" on his laynard that is held together by wire that looks to be a straighten out paper clip.

I've used this exclusively for 30 years now, local MC dealers and hardware stores carry it, 14 stores within 25 miles :

http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/2stroke/goldenspectro.asp

"Golden Spectro Two-Cycle Pre-Mix Blend
Golden Spectro Two-Cycle Pre-Mix Blend is the two-cycle engine lubricant that built our reputation. Probably the winningest oil out there. Because we significantly reduce excessive solvents (present in most two-cycle blends), running Golden Spectro® Two-Cycle Pre-Mix Blend at leaner ratios provides a higher level of detonation protection, stops plug fouling and smoking. Use according to motorcycle manufacturers’ recommendations, or at 50:1; this product exceeds API TC test requirements. Not for use in oil injection systems."

Available in 12 oz bottles-16 gal drums

This will work fine too:

http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/2stroke/2t.asp

2T
2T is a premium quality two-stroke engine lubricant formulated with high density petroleum base stocks and our exclusive additives to provide exceptionally high levels of protection and clean operation at all temperatures. Meets JASO FB and API-TCstandards. Reduces exhaust outlet deposits, guards against piston seizure.

1-L bottles-55 gal drums

Back