2 Stroke Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heilman181

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using synthetic 2 stroke oil? Should it be broken in with regular 2 stroke oil, then switched to synthetic? Would you still run 50:1 ratio with synthetic? Thanks!

I run synthetic in all my saws from new. If you use the search feature. You will find a lot posts on this topic.

32:1

I run 32:1 in everything whether it's synthetic or regular . But I prefer racing Mobil 1 2t. Bought some Citgo sea and snow semisynthetic at fleet yesterday, and I'm gonna see how that works!

Why do people keep on posting about oil?

The manufacturers do the R & D and make it fit for purpose. Just buy what your saw manufacturer recommends for God's sakes.

I don't even have to say "Go Figure" at this point. This isn't a life changing decision.

DanManofStihl said:
Is it Api-Tc approved? the Tcw3 oil will not work in a chainsaw.
Dan -Actually , virtually all Tcw3 oils also meet the archaic TC aircooled standard (actually nobody really knows if they do or not since the test engines wore out but they are considered compliant) While a dedicated aircooled oil that meets newer standards such as JASO FC or ISO L-egd is preferrable to a TCW3 oil in a chainsaw-the TCW# will indeed work. I ran outboard oils for many years with zero oil related problems.

Dan Frosh, there is no "special relationship" between recomended brands of oil, (thier own) and motors.... Better oil is better. This becomes more clear in more high performance situations, ie. motorcycle, snomobile, and boat racing. High quality synthetic oil at 32 to 1, is so much better for your motor than any "manufactures recomendations", that it isn't really much of a debate.

Dan Forsh said:

Dan because we do not come to the forum all at the same time in our learning experience. If you will have checked the quantity of posts by the individual who asked the question you will see it is a low number, a newbie to saws who would like to learn about all the tech points of operating them.

In auto engines some manufacturers suggest starting out with dino oils to set the rings, then move on to synthetic. This is what the Heilman is concerned about.

Because oil is important in minimizing wear and Heilman is interested in getting the most from his saw.

Many owner's manuals were written before synthetic oil was available for them, Husky just came out with a synthetic oil, 50:1, what is a saw owner to do, use the old technology oil that his manual suggests or use the new and arguably better oil that the saw manufacturers and oil companies are making?

sour

Dan Forsh said:

The manufacturers do the R & D and make it fit for purpose. Just buy what your saw manufacturer recommends for God's sakes.

I don't even have to say "Go Figure" at this point. This isn't a life changing decision.

why do people post about stihl or homelite or any thing else for that matter, i would say 90% of what is posted has already been said before anyway, so according to you AS should no longer accept new posts. relax man, i believe everyone especially newbie's the thrill is in seeing your post answered, if the guy wants to ask about oil i say let him,

Is the new Husky synthetic the stuff in the silver bottle?
You can break in fine with a synthetic. Mobil one is factory fill on the corvette and a variety of other high end vehicles.

bwalker said:
Is the new Husky synthetic the stuff in the silver bottle?
You can break in fine with a synthetic. Mobil one is factory fill on the corvette and a variety of other high end vehicles.

I am not entirely convinced of that argument, I would not be surprised if the rings and cylinder honing were to finer tolerances on those cars.

I am not saying I am sure, I am just throwing it out there. You may be right, again, I'm just not convinced.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Latest posts

Back