20" chain loop question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys do if anything to mark a 20 inch chain loop for sharpening since there is no offset. I use a little bit of engine paint but usually after a day of cutting in seasoned oak their is not a speck of paint left. Does anyone have a permanent solution that works well. I have thought of puting a groove in a link but worry it would compromise the strength of the chain.

I also wonder how much would it cost baileys to put a different color link in like stihl does? Do those little yellow links cost 8 bucks? Maybe that is why a 20 inch loop from baileys is 12 bucks and a stihl loop is 20 bucks.

Chain sharpening...

I am not quite sure what you are asking here. I sharpen my chains on the bar alternately with an Oregon bar mount file sharpener, and a hand held Wagner stone grinder. If you are asking how you know you have gotten around the whole loop (and done), all I do is mark a cutter with a magic marker. If you want to know where the link is to disconnect the chain? I dunno. I never remove the connector link when I take a chain off or sharpen it.

To sharpen your chain correctly, you should start with the dullest cutter, and file it down until it's perfect, then take the rest of the cutters down just as far. Unless you have one that is always the dullest, permenantly marking a cutter doesn't make much sense. It's pretty easy to tell which cutters you've sharpened anyhow, what with the fact it's sharp, the gullet's shiny, and there're filings on it.

I believe he is wanting a mark to see where he started. The shop I worked
at last year had a bottle of whiteout by the grinder, and by the look at their
finished product, confirmed that they were not watching what they were
doing, and that they had no idea what a correctly sharpened chain should
look like, so they needed an indicator that they had ground all the way around
the loop.
I got rid of the bottle, and took over the chain sharpening.

The main thing is to watch what you are doing, and knowing what you
are trying to accomplish. I used to give away the odd cutters from looping
chain, so my customers have a guide to help them achieve the right angles.
That is how I taught myself, using new chain as my guide. Look at the
edge on the top plate. If you can see the edge, it is dull.

I also use a Magic Marker. With my eyes any help I can get is much appreciated. Takes only a second to apply and it is much easier to spot than bending down to see if the tooth you just brought up is already sharp.

Harry K

Yeah, Magic Marker. Sometimes black, usually red. Also can tell easily if I've used a chain or not.

I would like to get one of those magnifier things that clamp to the bench. I think I mentioned that before somewhere.

About five years ago, I realized that I could'nt see the tooth well enough to grind it properly. Glasses solved the problem. If you can't see the tooth perfectly you will never get it sharp. But, I am lucky that glasses fix the problem so that I can see up close, at least for now. Maybe as I advance farther into geezerdom something that slaps me will be needed.

If needed I use a white paint marker and paint the top cutter as well as both sides. Usually its obvious by cutter length and filings on the tie straps. Paint marker helps me when just touching up a newer chain.

.... It's pretty easy to tell which cutters you've sharpened anyhow, what with the fact it's sharp, the gullet's shiny, and there're filings on it.

That is true, I seldom mark the cutter I start with - no need to.

Counting as you file also helps......

Filing chain:

I look at the chain and try to start at the worst looking cutter. I start by twisting a white twist tie around the cutter I started with and use a clamp on style sharpener to get the cutters all the same length. I also use a twist tie when just touching up the chain. Works for me. Lewis.

So let me get this straight... you all have to "mark" the chain to see where you started??? That makes not one bit of sense to me. It is blatantly easy to see where you have already sharpened. Just check tek9tims post. He describes what the cutter looks like after sharpening a cutter.

You guys sure do make some easy stuff difficult. Just my .02:help:

Gary

Works great on the short loops but it's a bit of a pain on the long ones, especially if you get interrupted mid-loop.

That's my problem, too many interruptions. I have a collection of red and black Sharpies in my toolbox, and a big black marker in my saw box that is used for both sharpening and milling set-ups.

Mark

Sharpening chains:

So let me get this straight... you all have to "mark" the chain to see where you started??? That makes not one bit of sense to me. It is blatantly easy to see where you have already sharpened. Just check tek9tims post. He describes what the cutter looks like after sharpening a cutter.

You guys sure do make some easy stuff difficult. Just my .02:help:

Gary

Yes, sorry for being a Pain in your aris. In my case I use the twist ties while sharpening chains, a clamp on sharpening device to set the length of the tooth to the same length/angles and also a magnifying glass of some sort to study the results. But when the old eyes are failing and in my case legally blind, any tricks or help is good. That way I don't have to depend on other know-it-alls to help me. Try sharpening a chain with a pair of glsses on smeered with heavy oil and you will get the idea. Sharpening by hand or touching up a chain is fun, but I can do it by feel. I'll continue to work on my saws as long as I can. When I can't then they'll rest, like me, I'll probably be in my grave.

Yes, sorry for being a Pain in your aris. In my case I use the twist ties while sharpening chains, a clamp on sharpening device to set the length of the tooth to the same length/angles and also a magnifying glass of some sort to study the results. But when the old eyes are failing and in my case legally blind, any tricks or help is good. That way I don't have to depend on other know-it-alls to help me. Try sharpening a chain with a pair of glsses on smeered with heavy oil and you will get the idea. Sharpening by hand or touching up a chain is fun, but I can do it by feel. I'll continue to work on my saws as long as I can. When I can't then they'll rest, like me, I'll probably be in my grave.

Hey I hear ya Lewis... nobody said nothin' about bad eyes in earlier posts... I was just makin' my typical "are you kiddin' me" type of observation. Never stop playin' with those saws. I know I never will. Even when I have to start "markin'" my chains.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not "that" good.;)

Gary

Latest posts

Back