20" chain loop question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let me get this straight... you all have to "mark" the chain to see where you started??? That makes not one bit of sense to me. It is blatantly easy to see where you have already sharpened. Just check tek9tims post. He describes what the cutter looks like after sharpening a cutter.

You guys sure do make some easy stuff difficult. Just my .02:help:

Gary

Lets say you already went around once, the gullets are all nice and shinie and you would like to go around again litely to sharpen the edge a bit.
would you know where you started and when to finish.
sometimes I like to check my depth gauges "rakers" after I am done twice
also.
I guess you could call me anal.
I use a yellom paint marker, The question I have is. Would my chain go faster if I used ared marker ?
Oh yea, when I am out in the woods. I don't use a marker. I just go by what I have filed.

Lets say you already went around once, the gullets are all nice and shinie and you would like to go around again litely to sharpen the edge a bit.
would you know where you started and when to finish.
sometimes I like to check my depth gauges "rakers" after I am done twice
also.
I guess you could call me anal.
I use a yellom paint marker, The question I have is. Would my chain go faster if I used ared marker ?
Oh yea, when I am out in the woods. I don't use a marker. I just go by what I have filed.

Anal.:hmm3grin2orange:

90% of the time I am sharpenin' my chains on a tailgate or on a stump... while I'm workin' with the saw. Not too concerend with all that hoopla. I will check my riders durin' that time as well.

I still get big chips flyin' when I cut. I must be doin' somethin' right. I guess I just view this as an overly simple task... this whole sharpenin' deal.:help:

Gary

Being blunt or personal:

Sorry for being so blunt or personal. The man asked a question and my viewpoint is that, there are no dumb questions. If someone asks a question, then he's looking for info or suggestions, etc, and those who want to comment and share info should. As with all info it should be taken with a grain of salt, but heck, if it works or helps then that's great. I use the white twist ties to mark where I started and red ones to mark where I left off if interupted or get sidetracked. Again sorry for taking it so personally, but have been told my eyes are on borrowed time.

Sorry for being so blunt or personal. The man asked a question and my viewpoint is that, there are no dumb questions. If someone asks a question, then he's looking for info or suggestions, etc, and those who want to comment and share info should. As with all info it should be taken with a grain of salt, but heck, if it works or helps then that's great. I use the white twist ties to mark where I started and red ones to mark where I left off if interupted or get sidetracked. Again sorry for taking it so personally, but have been told my eyes are on borrowed time.

Good post Lewis.:)

Gary

Thanks for all the in site, I think I will get a red sharpie. I want to clarify something, I never said I could not tell which cutter had been sharpened, I stated it slows me down looking it for it to come up when I'm sitting on a stump sharpening a chain. I like the visual mark because you see that instantly. I sit a little behind the cutting surface when sharpening which makes it easier for me to the get the angle correct. So I do not get as good of look at the cutting edge as I do the side and top of the chain. Without the mark I usually loose count and find it by feel before I realize I made it all the way around. I suppose I got spoiled because my local stihl dealer always put a different color connecting link in the chain. Years ago I switched to wooodsman pro chains and have always wondered why they do not put this different color connector in.

Well thanks for all the help, Ray

I (as always) misunderstood your first post Ray. Glad you got the help you needed. Obviously not from me...LOL:)

Gary

Not your fault, I just read my original post and see that I did not say why I wanted a mark on the chain. Well it is for speed, I want to spend less time sharpening and more time cutting. Heck what is the use of modding saws for maximum HP and keeping them sharp enough to throw thumb nail sized chips if you are sitting on the ground with them and not cutting.:rock:

Thanks for all the in site, I think I will get a red sharpie. I want to clarify something, I never said I could not tell which cutter had been sharpened, I stated it slows me down looking it for it to come up when I'm sitting on a stump sharpening a chain. I like the visual mark because you see that instantly. I sit a little behind the cutting surface when sharpening which makes it easier for me to the get the angle correct. So I do not get as good of look at the cutting edge as I do the side and top of the chain. Without the mark I usually loose count and find it by feel before I realize I made it all the way around. I suppose I got spoiled because my local stihl dealer always put a different color connecting link in the chain. Years ago I switched to wooodsman pro chains and have always wondered why they do not put this different color connector in.

Well thanks for all the help, Ray

Very good post. That is exactly why I use a marker. Much easier and faster to spot the marker than to lean forward to eyeball the tooth/gullet. It was faster 30 years ago for me and has become even more important now with my poor near vision.

Sometimes I think the opinionated posts are from people who never tried something before spouting off.

Harry K

So let me get this straight... you all have to "mark" the chain to see where you started??? That makes not one bit of sense to me. It is blatantly easy to see where you have already sharpened. Just check tek9tims post. He describes what the cutter looks like after sharpening a cutter.

Gary

Like I have posted BEFORE if you can't tell where on the loop you started maybe you shouldn't be filing the chain. Like really how do you tell if you actually get it SHARP??

My .02

Scott

I use an orange grease pencil to mark where I start, it's just faster and easier when I'm file'n on the stump between tanks of fuel.

Like I have posted BEFORE if you can't tell where on the loop you started maybe you shouldn't be filing the chain. Like really how do you tell if you actually get it SHARP??

My .02

Scott

I'm sure you weren't born a professional chain filer, and I'm sure you've messed up a cutter or two in the learning process. Everybody has to start somewhere, these folks are looking for a better way to skin that proverbial cat.

Gary

What's so difficult about putting a mark on a cutter?

My .02

Scott

Guess I better stop filing my chains.

Its called presbyopia

About five years ago, I realized that I could'nt see the tooth well enough to grind it properly. Glasses solved the problem. If you can't see the tooth perfectly you will never get it sharp. But, I am lucky that glasses fix the problem so that I can see up close, at least for now. Maybe as I advance farther into geezerdom something that slaps me will be needed.

Funny story about geezerdom. My brother bought a new laptop computer a few years ago. But after a few days of using it, he took it back to the store and told the owner that the laptop screen was messed up. The screen was fuzzing out and the forus was not sharp. The owner looked at the computer, nodded to my brother, said he would be right back, and went in the back of the store. He came back with a pir of reading glasses and asked my brother to put them on. Sure enough, that solved the fuzzy unfocused computer screen problem. My brother was eating humble pie...

Its called presbyopia. Or what I call Elvis Presleyopia. The inability of the eye to focus on near points, becasue as we age (usually sometime in our 40's) we lose the ability to control the small muscles in the eye that are used for close-up vision. Or, again, as I like to think, the ability to see Elvis up close. It hits us all with age, and progresses. I am at a medium lense now. I get reading glasses at Costco by the 3 pack. That way I can leave a pair down in the shop, one by the computer and one to carry one around with me.

I was holding the newspaper at arms length to read it, and when my arms wouldn't stretch anymore, I realized I had a problem.

Life will come and bite you with age...

Gary

Well, fortunately (or unfortunately) you will get older and wiser, and someday you will understand. You will lose that razor sharp close up vision of yours when you hit about 45 years of age, and things will not be so easy. Me, I keep my chains sharp, and there is not that much difference between a sharp and a dull cutter. Yah, if I look close at the dull bits they are are not as bright. Easier for me to go by feel. Finger flick; dull, flick; sharp. I mark the starting link with a pen and go from there anyway. If I am interrupted, or watch TV while I am doing it, or lose track of where I was, I do not even have to think about it. No brainer.

Back