$200 splitter I bought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(In the voice of Arnold the Treeminator) "Veeel call it "Maud Max"!"

sorry, couldn't resist, its just so, just so, um, like, post-apocalyptically correct!
:D :D :D (tetanus shots up ta date?)

:jester:

I really really hope your up to date on your tetanus shot. How did they attach that pump was it with a flex joint welded to a plate bolted to the flywheel??

Took some more pics too . The pump is about 5-6 inches wide . I was wondering . How many ton it could push that 55 in cylinder .Any body have any idea ?

Provided the motor is big enough to run the pump to stall, it is not the size of the motor, or the size of the pump that counts.

The "push power" comes from the size of the cylinder diameter (that one doesn't look but around 3 1/2" but the scale may be throwing me off) first and then what the bypass setting on the valve (or internal in the pump) is. Most are set to not more than 2750 psi. Multiply psi by cylinder sq in to arrive at the power.

Of course on an old unit like that it is anyone's guess at what the cut off is.

Harry K

Pacman,

my guess is you will need to take it down completely and build it back up right. You will spend a whole bunch of time on this and likely a bit of money but if you do it right you will have a monster splitter that you can use.
The motor may be big because it may not have a two stage pump. Not to worry, the motor will have enough power! Good luck.

It must have taken quite a bit of hand wringing and PBRs to realize that the old Camaro project was never gonna get finished. Kudos to the guy that built that pig. Does it have a cabinet for explosives?

not a bad "toy" to test your engineering skills on.

i'm like you, pacman.....i like the challenge.

I'd say you scored a deal for $200!.....A touch over kill on the power plant maybe:biggrinbounce2: , But still cool!:rockn:

Splitzilla

I just keep laughing every time that I look at the pix!! You have the answer to the v8 chainsaws. Do we have hot splitter competitions? Maybe we should.
Just think about the amount of Budweiser that was consumed in the planning and construction of "splitzilla".

My splitter will blow that one out of the water and out run it on the road:buttkick: :laugh: (once it is built of course). Come to think of it I should look into getting a NOS system rigged up for mine if it comes to a road race :laugh:.

Last edited:
My splitter will blow that one out of the water and out run it on the road:buttkick: :laugh: (once it is built of course). Come to think of it I should look into getting a NOS system rigged up for mine if it comes to a road race :laugh:.
Ooooooooooooooooooo! This here sounds like a challenge!~ :chainsaw: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :chainsaw:

Hm, I kin see it now, "Innnnnntroducing our newest catagory, the "I Am a Maniac Unlimited Monster Splitter Inviiiiiiiiiiiitational"!!!!" Gentlemen start your engines!"
Months before the competition the word goes out to every woodsman, farmer, treeman, and frustrated homeowner, to save the knarliest, ugliest, biggest, baddest, toughest, knottiest, pos lumps of wood man has ever seen.
Over the next while they get brought to a designated dumping zone and piled up and a bit before the comp some trusty young souls sort them out by size and line them up. Either they're number and do a lottery type draw, the competitors play poker, darts, yatzee, uchre, whatever or, each contestant in drawn order chooses the piece for one of his/her's competitors, keeping it even till all gone. Then let the fun begin! Side by side timed races, first team to split and stack a cord, door prizes to a donor for toughest lump, prizes for best break-down, ugliest machine, most sweating, etc. etc...........man I could go on and on (could be the relief of getting home tonight in one whole, and a cocktail or three ).
You could have stock, modified, and unlimited classes. Putcher lazy azzed fiends and teenagers to work for an hour or two. Entertain the crowds. And donate the split stuff to a local charities ta spread around minus what the winners take (if any). Side bets, challenges, duels, hoorah!
How's that fer a weird brain-spasm du-jour? :D

Kk, I go now.

:cheers:

Serge (not quite peeing on my foot yet :greenchainsaw: )

A miracle

HAHAHA I like that "splitzilla" . Well its turning out to be costly too . My friend the mechanic got it running tonight . To be honest I didnt think the thing would even start . The last time we tried to start it it was full of water from sitting out side uncovered in the weather .
We took off all the spark plugs and turned the motor over for a while to get the water out .Then we let it sit for a few days ,until today. We put in the new sparks plugs , turn it over a few times , added a little gas and holy macaroni that thing fired up ! It wasnt as loud as I thought it was going to be .It wouldnt stay idle so I think it needs a carburetor . Oh yeah the starter flew apart !
One good thing about it the valves , both cylinders worked , but the small one leaks . I have some numbers I got off of the pump stamp in the pump was 26t d and a label ( Commercial model # A226-21 ) .The pump is 5 in H x 4 in W .The cylinder is 54 1/2 L ,cylinder outside is 4 1/2 in W ,the bore is 2 1/2 in W.
Man the splitting cylinder is slowwwwww . I was hoping that since it has a big motor and lots of rpm that it would be slot faster . I think my little 20 ton might be faster (sigh ).
Can any body tell me how to get this thing splitting time in like 3-4 seconds ? Do I need to get a smaller cylinder , bigger pump , or some thing I dont know about?
In the mean time I am going to put another carburetor on it . I need some advise from some of you experts on here to help me get this thing splitting in 4-5 sec.

Thanks

Michael

Man, I am absolutely no help in this matter, I just want to see a pic of this beast of your's running with smoke and flames shootin' out of it!!
(I suspect you need a better pump and control set up, like time ta hit the junkyards mate..........oh sorry, ya did (jk jk) )

:) Hey, it ran! :clap: That in itself is amazing! :jawdrop:

I am sort of curious (as is my nature) as to how you'll justify 10$ worth of gas to split 5$ worth of wood? :p

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Junk Yard Dog

I know a preacher that has any and every thing . He tears down industrial plants . I will get what ever I need from him .

Get your self a pressure gauge and hook a T fitting in at the pump then after the valve on the pressure side. Your pump might only be running 1500 PSI or 2000 PSI with low GPM. Come on over to www.machinebuilders.net and let the good folks over there have a look at what you got they will be able to diagnose and help you fix all of your problems in a jiffy.

Sprig, That would be rather fun wouldn't you say? I mean think of it people in the unlimited class would be coming out with three or four twelve inch cylinders stacked up running at close to 4000 PSI :laugh: with a bad azz diesel powering them and kicking out around 594 to 792 tons of force :rock: :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Sprig, That would be rather fun wouldn't you say? I mean think of it people in the unlimited class would be coming out with three or four twelve inch cylinders stacked up running at close to 4000 PSI :laugh: with a bad azz diesel powering them and kicking out around 200 to 400 tons of force :rock: :chainsawguy:

hey, man....you're only splitting wood.

most every one gets by with 25 tons.

most every one gets by with 25 tons.
Yeah but how else are we supposed to get those knotty azz logs that are 48 inches in diameter to breakup in less than five seconds? :laugh: Besides who said I didn't want to split truck tire rims and engine blocks with my unlimited class log splitter?

Last edited:
Yeah but how else are we supposed to get those knotty azz logs that are 48 inches in diameter to breakup in less than five seconds? :laugh: Besides who said I didn't want to split truck tire rims and engine blocks with my unlimited class log splitter?

lifting a 48" log onto a splitter is another issue.

Top Fuel Splitzilla

Hey maybe a little coperate sponsorship could be had, say like Budweiser, Hope Depot, etc.... You know the King of Beers, sponsoring the King of splitters. Ya know there is an ocean of beer to be sold to a bunch of us that think that Splitzilla is pretty cool!!

Back