2022 gardens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got started on this years garden. Pepper seed started in the house and the wife has some herbs started. I have been growing a small batch of cabbage for the last couple years and those pesky cabbage worms have been really bad. Last year I tried the BT spray and it worked ok except for the rain washing it away. My wife bought me a used book last year called “Build it Better Yourself” I believe from the 70’s. Lots of great ideas in it and one of them was using a nylon mesh on a frame to keep those little white butterflies away from the cabbage heads. I used their idea to make my own type of mesh frame. I could not find nylon mesh so I got some fiberglass screen door mesh, $10 for a 4’x25’ foot roll. Built a frame from some scrap wood from my father in laws garage build and other crap laying around. Used a soaker hose to water with out having to disturb the mesh. I have know idea if it will work or if my effort was a complete waste of time. Planted 6 heads of cabbage and six cauliflower and some onion sets. View attachment 973399
time will tell! when the bugs begin to rule, almost anything feasible is worth a try... 🤞

time will tell! when the bugs begin to rule, almost anything feasible is worth a try... 🤞
As far as bugs eating garden plants,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
bugs are like humans, they prefer sugar to carbohydrates.
Who wants to eat broccoli, when you can have chocolate cake??

I wondered why half of my potato plants were being eaten, and only the rows at the far end of the garden.
It turns out, that I had better prepared the soil at the near side of the garden. The plants at the far end were weaker, due to poor soil.

In researching, I found that weak plants have MUCH more sugar in the top of the plant, trying to survive.
The healthy plants had the sugar stored down in the roots.
The healthy plants were LOADED with carbs, above the ground.
So, rather than "bug spray" the plants, I added nutrients to the soil.
That did it, no more potato beetles, they moved on as they were looking for sugar. (THAT is why the bugs do not eat "weeds")

So, if you wonder why your garden has bugs, and your neighbor doesn't,,

it might be time to STOP putting chocolate cake out for the bugs.
Make YOUR plants more healthy, the bugs will move to someone else's plants!!

some tasty garden yields... fresh carrots, and arugula wraps...
P1010022.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010021.JPG

green onion, onion patch onion leaf...

Still raking and burning off last years stuff so we have clean ground to work with. Rain today but we got most of the 4.5 acres raked and burned. The onion area was the most important to clean up since it will be the first to be planted.
Guess we will start with 2 of the Horses and hope to have a few more fixed by late spring.
Most of the seeds we had to order have come, as has the jar lids , so we should be in decent shape for that. Now to be able to plant, weed, and grow something! lol!

I have 14 raised beds protected by deer fencing.
They got the rototiller last week and was able to plant onions, shallots, and peas yesterday.
Purchased a 16 lb. bag of triple 16 for $10 to supplement the contributions from the chickens and horses.
pricey fertz. well, imo... i always buy it at the co-op... 40# sack. 13-13-13. put some out about a week ago. for me, takes about 8-10 days to see the results. used to be around $12, but last i ck'd was 19ish... prob more now. :nofunny:

They always gig you for smaller quantities, but it doesn't hurt much if you just need a little.
I spread 10-20-20 on the pastures and I buy those in one tone totes at the co-op.
All in all, I think farmers are going to be facing significant price increases in agro-chemicals this year.
I was talking to the local hazelnut farmer and bulk round-up has almost trippled in price and it's not readily available even then.
I stocked up on pasture herbicides last year, and from the prices I'm seeing I'm really glad I did.

Still raking and burning off last years stuff so we have clean ground to work with. Rain today but we got most of the 4.5 acres raked and burned. The onion area was the most important to clean up since it will be the first to be planted.
Guess we will start with 2 of the Horses and hope to have a few more fixed by late spring.
Most of the seeds we had to order have come, as has the jar lids , so we should be in decent shape for that. Now to be able to plant, weed, and grow something! lol!
Ha! 4.5 acres is bigger than all my property! I wish I could rock a garden that big. Most of my 4 acres is woods with just about a one acre clearing for the house and yard. I keep making more and more of the yard that gets good sunlight a garden. Gave the 12’x12’ raised bed to my wife this year and plan on making a 12’x40’ plot of just peppers off to the side. I’m trying the deer fencing/ netting to keep the white tailed rats out of my peppers this year. They sure tore them up at the end of the season last year. Gardening is a lot of work but so fun and rewarding.

Finally got dry enough last night to till the onion area so I got that done just as the rain came!--Now to wait til it dries enough to plant the onion plants since they will arrive tomorrow!
Always get a 30 bunch case and the guy over on the next road takes 12 bunches so that way we get plants at a lower cost. Price of the case did go up a lot over last few years, but the only way to buy them. Garden stores here wan $20. or more per bunch making them out of the question for us, so we order from the grower direct.
Looks like the strawberries have winter killed this year, only a few have survived and need to be moved to a different location.
Started catching water in my tanks for garden use this year so hope we can get enough to use without hauling any like we did in the past.

Finally got dry enough last night to till the onion area so I got that done just as the rain came!--Now to wait til it dries enough to plant the onion plants since they will arrive tomorrow!
Always get a 30 bunch case and the guy over on the next road takes 12 bunches so that way we get plants at a lower cost. Price of the case did go up a lot over last few years, but the only way to buy them. Garden stores here wan $20. or more per bunch making them out of the question for us, so we order from the grower direct.
Looks like the strawberries have winter killed this year, only a few have survived and need to be moved to a different location.
Started catching water in my tanks for garden use this year so hope we can get enough to use without hauling any like we did in the past.
I go to local farm supply store, they have onion sets in barrels, sold by the pound, and you can pick through them and remove any culls.

I only use plants here. sets and seeds just dont give us big onions, which is what I am looking to grow. --- WHY? -- cause it dont take as many to fill the freeze dryer trays PLUS easier for my stiff fingers to clean them. In the past we used sets and they are o.k. and did get fair sized in most years,--then one year I ended up with plants and stuck with them ever since!
More rain here today and plants have arrived. We can store them for up to 2 weeks without any loss, so we should have dryer ground before then.

I only use plants here. sets and seeds just dont give us big onions, which is what I am looking to grow. --- WHY? -- cause it dont take as many to fill the freeze dryer trays PLUS easier for my stiff fingers to clean them. In the past we used sets and they are o.k. and did get fair sized in most years,--then one year I ended up with plants and stuck with them ever since!
More rain here today and plants have arrived. We can store them for up to 2 weeks without any loss, so we should have dryer ground before then.
Let them overwinter and pinch off the seedheads the following year

finally got the onions planted a couple days ago, --- rain again today so they should be o.k.
I know it dont look like plants in the pic, but trust me---- there are 18 bunches planted in 6 full rows 130' long and part of the 7th row. the rest of the 7th row has beets, carrots and dill in it.

Attachments

• DSCN0665.JPG
    DSCN0665.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
0AE2E846-4DD4-46F3-A6B3-DEFFACF99388.jpeg
4D3CBEDA-4A12-43ED-AF1A-029BF3CC714E.jpeg
91999018-D943-4A13-88C3-811195A0AE86.jpeg
AAE56ED8-169C-479E-B73C-744FD263BE59.jpeg

got some rows of greens and beats, planted some strawberries in a half wine barrel. Got two rows of radishes in the front, and went ahead an put three of the pepper plant my brother-in-law gave in the garden. A Serrano, Red Savina, and a Scotch Bonnet. I am having a great time getting everything started in the garden. Hope everyone is doing great and look forward to all the pictures and reports!

Ha! 4.5 acres is bigger than all my property! I wish I could rock a garden that big. Most of my 4 acres is woods with just about a one acre clearing for the house and yard. I keep making more and more of the yard that gets good sunlight a garden. Gave the 12’x12’ raised bed to my wife this year and plan on making a 12’x40’ plot of just peppers off to the side. I’m trying the deer fencing/ netting to keep the white tailed rats out of my peppers this year. They sure tore them up at the end of the season last year. Gardening is a lot of work but so fun and rewarding.
ha! you are right Sfb - spent the afternoon in mine yesterday. 3 bean plots and decided to do some corn again. corn never turns out well for me... never has oh, once... mis-seeds wrong packet... grrr! the field corn was spectacular!! :rolleyes: but my sugar snap patch just looked like a family sized corn patch... so, we'll see. too much work to turn it all, so i took the 'not too much work' route... :laugh:

:givebeer:

my Texas 1015's doing well.... planted in fall of '21. Dixondale; sets
P1010014.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010016.JPG

interesting. i use sets. easier for small home garden. i have over 50 growing. i watched a vid at utube-U on onions. the '19 vid the guy did used sets. then the latest he used plants he had grown from seeds. in 338-trays. i liked his philosophy for growing them that way. doubt i could, would... or should ever need 338 onions! lol

1649951386490.png

1649951405921.png

Back