2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic should be moved to a new spot each year?

Garlic likes more gradual ground temp changes? Raised beds would get warmer quicker.

I initially made the raised beds from a barrel to plant strawberries in. My initial patch in the ground in the garden became overgrown quickly and hard to take care of. The original plants got choked out. The barrel beds work great for the berries. That's why I built the beds the same way out of totes I posted about earlier. I'll move them after they produce.

As for ground contact. I built them out of ignorance. I thought weed control would be easier. Never thought about worm action. I do have one 3' x 8' direct contact bed that's dormant because I need to repair it. I was saving it for spinacjh. Maybe I'll switch and put the garlic there and the spinach in the barrels?
Get some well composted horse **** and mix it into those raised beds. You'll have earth worms and you'll grow whatever you want, especially garlic.

Does it ever stop raining? I know the answer, it will turn dry as a popcorn fart in another month. Anyways, I applied fert to my cabbage and onions today in the rain, I figure the rain will put the fert in the ground. Moved my mater and pepper plants back outside, will be planting them next week. Also bought some Bluelake bush beans seed, I'll plant them as soon as the garden drys back out.

Does it ever stop raining? I know the answer, it will turn dry as a popcorn fart in another month. Anyways, I applied fert to my cabbage and onions today in the rain, I figure the rain will put the fert in the ground. Moved my mater and pepper plants back outside, will be planting them next week. Also bought some Bluelake bush beans seed, I'll plant them as soon as the garden drys back out.
We're finally getting some much needed rain here in PA. About 4 inches below normal. Temps are below normal for the next week too. Supposed to pick up plants next week. Looks like they will be in the greenhouse for a bit. Glad I held off planting sweet corn when it was in the 80's a week ago.

we got our add'l Better Boys in yesterday. new cukes, too. and i pulled some nice carrots. we peeled them and had as a side dish snack. with some butt'a, s cream on side and dash S&P! we both agreed: :numberone:
they are doing well. not sure what issue is with other cukes? i am thawing a chuck roast... time to pull the turnips, some carrots. i have some onion and celery, as well. thinking of tossing in a spud and doing a bag roast... simple. just plug n play!

about like this:
1682785809300.png

Thinking about trying Asparagus again. Last time I bought from WM or HD. Only 3 plants survived and I get only a stalk or two after several years. Some plants set seeds in the Fall.

Where do you buy your crowns? Ever from Amazon? Does it matter?

Thinking about trying Asparagus again. Last time I bought from WM or HD. Only 3 plants survived and I get only a stalk or two after several years. Some plants set seeds in the Fall.

Ours are from TSC, but I can't recommend them yet because they're just planted. I've seen them sourced from a variety of ways, often it's from another gardener buddy.

Anecdotally speaking I've not had luck buying anything that grows from Amazon.

Key to asparagus is bed prep prior to planting. Keep weeds out. Voles will eat all the roots. I've got beds my parents planted that are older than I.

I collected seeds from one of their heirloom beds, amazing stalks. I'm trying to germinate them this spring.

I planted my corn a couple weeks ago. It did survive the frost but it wasnt up, no harm no foul. I now have 8 rows of little corn leafs sticking up. No frost for next two weeks, so I guess I timed things just right. My okra still isnt up, I am a little worried, I planted some seed in pots inside and it hasnt came up either. Its heirloom saved seed and I dont have any more to replant with. If it does come up, I will save a lot more seed this year. Next plantings will be my maters, cukes, peppers, they are still setting on the porch, wife wants to wait another week or two because it might frost. . I have a couple of big pots I usually plant peppers in and I might just go ahead and take the chance.

I planted my corn a couple weeks ago. It did survive the frost but it wasnt up, no harm no foul. I now have 8 rows of little corn leafs sticking up. No frost for next two weeks, so I guess I timed things just right. My okra still isnt up, I am a little worried, I planted some seed in pots inside and it hasnt came up either. Its heirloom saved seed and I dont have any more to replant with. If it does come up, I will save a lot more seed this year. Next plantings will be my maters, cukes, peppers, they are still setting on the porch, wife wants to wait another week or two because it might frost. . I have a couple of big pots I usually plant peppers in and I might just go ahead and take the chance.
Here was an article in the farming paper I get about corn and cold soil temps. May or may not pertain.
https://www.lancasterfarming.com/fa...cle_dc83a5d0-67ac-513a-b8f7-b37c87b65390.html

they are doing well. not sure what issue is with other cukes? i am thawing a chuck roast... time to pull the turnips, some carrots. i have some onion and celery, as well. thinking of tossing in a spud and doing a bag roast... simple. just plug n play!

about like this:
View attachment 1078665

You make me jelous ,.....until summer.

survived the frost here so far,--- sweetcorn is still good , taters coming up AND we FINALLY got a bit of rain! still 6" below normal here but at least the dust got knocked down for now! Extreem high winds for the last month have been nasty. Had a 74 car pile up with 7 deaths just a few miles from me last week on I-55 South of Springfield, Il. Dirt blowing across the road and nobody could see! People just wont slow down! Kinda sucks!

Plants just sitting in the greenhouse waiting for warmer,drier weather.
View attachment 1080859

That looks a lot like where I start my stuff. I help to get some space. He heats with just wood

2020 Covid spring it was like a clubhouse, nobody got sick. We had a frig for beers/food, everybody helped, cooked good food.

1 greenhouse plant starts.JPG
broc cab 5:6.jpg
tomatoes 5:6.jpg
1 greenhouse furnace.JPG

Plants just sitting in the greenhouse waiting for warmer,drier weather.
View attachment 1080859
You plant way more plants than I do. I try to start just enough for my beds. half doz tomatoe, half dozen peppers, ect. I have 12 flat dutch cabbage that are starting to head and my taters have already had to be hilled. Onions ready to eat, I like small green onions in salads. Next couple weeks I will have my squash and cukes planted, along with everything else. Then its just the weeding and eating, canning and freezing.

Back