2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted my "supposed" to be Cabbage plants a few days ago. I kept thinking these plants dont look like cabbage and I know I picked cabbage from the plant trays at the garden center. Turns out they where broccli. Dont look like it is going to matter as something is eating my plants one at a time. I did go back to the garden store and bought some cabbage plants, Havent set them out yet as I am still trying to figure out what is eating the broccli. I placed a security camera pointing down the row of broccli plants, but havnt gotten any pic of the varmit yet. I may have to rig a net over the plants until they get big enough to survive what ever is nibbleing the leaves off and cutting the stem at ground level.

Shavings of Irish Spring soap work. It is the strongest obnoxious. smell. I put it in vitamin bottles or you can put on the soil. I had some thing eat last years snow peas as they came up but next batch I did the Irish Spring and they left it alone. And that did not affect plants or the tase of the peas.

Cutworms are murder early in the season!! We have them here too! AND of course the rabbit population! BOTH will wipe out garden plants.
Wrap a small piece of paper or tinfoil around the bottom of the stems from roots up to leaf stems above will deter cutworms. Rabbits eat from top down, easy to tell which you have by looking at the damage.
Last year I had to spray rabbit repellant on one end of the garden on the cabbage and sweet potato plants due to rabbits so it may pay to consider doing that on yours.
When my neighbor plants his plants, he puts a 6" length of corrugated 4" drain pipe around them. He says that works against rabbits. He also said, once the plants get larger, rabbits won't bother them. Don't know if that works.

When my neighbor plants his plants, he puts a 6" length of corrugated 4" drain pipe around them. He says that works against rabbits. He also said, once the plants get larger, rabbits won't bother them. Don't know if that works.
Ya, I always put the tile over all my plants. It does help BUT they will eat everything off above the tile unless you spray repellant on the plants also.

Dry enough to start plowing here. Got a couple of patches worked up for some corn,peppers and cabbage.
20240320_082708.jpg

First of the season for supper.
View attachment 1170123
Super jealous Steve! We had a nice farmer that set up on the main road every year selling his bundles of asparagus, I stopped every few days.

He stopped setting up 4-5 years ago now, I heard he passed away. I loved talking to him and buying his goods.

I've been out working in the garden and took this video of me digging with my Meadow Creature Broad Fork. The bed is 50ft. long and I dug it 14 inches deep in just a little under 11 minutes. This broad fork is the best gardening tool I've ever had, bar none, except my Troy Bilt 8hp Horse tiller maybe. Those are my Yukon Golds to the right. I wear old over sized clothes in the garden. Those 38's hang loose and I need suspenders to hold my pants up. My pistol doesn't help.

The video gets more interesting as it goes along. NOT! LOL.

Sunday morning slow rain coming down. (There's a couple of songs in that there)

More than anyone wants to hear about asparagus.

I was walking the garden this morning in the beautiful slow rain that we are getting. We need it. Found nine more asparagus seedlings.

I bet we get 100 seedlings this spring. We will be planting a second 50 foot row with these and it will take 50 male plants. It will be interesting to see what the ratio of male/female seedlings we get out of our "all male" hybrid 'Jersey Knight' asparagus. We had two out of 50 in our purchased two year old crowns that we planted on 7-20-2022 (not the recommended planting time).

Here they are freshly transplanted into small 4-cell packs along with the seven others transplanted a couple of days ago. I may well make a shallower dug bed and plant on closer spacings until I can sex each crown. Then on to planting 10 inches deep in a permanent bed the next spring or in the fall. Likely fall. It may take a year or two to sex.

Seedlings.

Asparagus Sunday morning slow rain comming down 002.JPG

Planting two year old crowns on 7-20-2022.

Asparagus 7-20-2022 013.JPG

Latest posts

Back