2100 Racer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky sawman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2101 husky "RACE" saw. I pulled it down to see what was done and found an interesting piston ring on the piston. the top edge of the ring has grooves evenily spaced about 1/2" apart all away around the top ring only!!! What is the purpose of this?

To give some background on the saw:
1987 husky 2101xp
heavily modded ported cylinder
no head gasket, head milled down, chokeless carb with opened up venturi,
tune pipe, no cooling fins on flywheel LOTS OF COMPRESSION, broke the starter off the saw trying to start it!!!

This is a guess and only a guess. The grooves allow combustion pressure to travel behind the rings forcing them outward thus providing better ring seal and better compression.

On some APRILIA 2stroke race motor cycle engines+some ROTAX microlight motors they have similar rings, as Andyshine says it`s to aid compression by getting pressure behind the rings

Yup,

Aids ring seal, some racing pistons have small holes drilled around the perimeter to the ring lands to accomplish the same thing.

Hmm

What,,,,,,,,,,,,,or Whom is MVP?

Marcel Vincent Performance is who and what it stands for. As legend has it he was probably one of the best saw modders there was, as I understand he was a engineer for Ski-Doo and built saws 20+ years ago that are still fast today. If that is the 2100 I think it is I hear it is one fast mutha!

Marcel Vincent Performance is who and what it stands for. As legend has it he was probably one of the best saw modders there was, as I understand he was a engineer for Ski-Doo and built saws 20+ years ago that are still fast today. If that is the 2100 I think it is I hear it is one fast mutha!

That sure is a bit more catchy than Gink performance eh?

Back