2101xp compared to todays saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently bought a pretty low hour 2101xp from a good friend of mine. It needed some minor stuff, but I was really excited because I have always wanted one, and a 288xp. Never run the 2101 until this one but still wanted one. I do tree work for side work, and of couarse firewood for us, and family for the year. I dont cut as much as the pro but do cut alot from time to time, and get into some big stuff fairly often. My lineup is a 51 husky 20in 044 28in, ms660 32in, and now the 2101 34in. Befor I bught my 660 I cut all the big stuff with the 44, and a 32in bar. Did well even cut 5foot stuff. But came across a 660 I could afford dindt think I would use it much except for stumps. Tell you what I love it!!!! Comes out every job. My question is I dropped the 2101 off at my saw shop, to have them throw a carb kit in it. I always trust there opionion they always treated me right. They said good find, and good buy the 2101 is a great saw. But when I asked how would you compare it to the 660 they said dont. Meaning they said ti is slower, and I know they are not the same saw, but my heart kind of sank thinking did I just buy an antique that is obsolete compared to my new stuff? I see the 2101 is still pretty popular just want to know I made a good choice.

That'll depend on what wood you're in. If you're into some of that 5' wood, the extra 10cc and torquey lower RPMs will really help you out. If you're into 2' firewood or something, an 066 would probably stock vs. stock with the same chain setup. If I were working all day though, even in big wood, I'd probably rather have the 660 or 395 (or maybe even my 288) with their more modern comforts (better AV, air filtration, ease of maintenance...) even if there is a slight productivity hit.

I need to take my newly acquired 2101 out to some big wood for a test run sometime. It looks awful bored sitting on the floor for the last couple weeks.

2101 in my opinion is the best big bore saw husqvarna made. For 99cc, it gets a lot of work done quick and will take the abuse of an uncoordinated logger. If you feel it is so inferior then I would be happy to take it off you hands.

Hi Norm:

I know what you mean. My heart sank too when I bought my first 2100. Ran good, got some parts into it. Realized that it wasn't any faster than my 288 at the time, and to be honest, I didn't know what I was expecting.

I think I was expecting miracles then. I was pretty new to the world of large displacement saws, and I thought it would make all teh difference. Then I tried cutting up an old sugar maple.

That is when the old girl really shined. But like Brad was saying, it takes some really huge wood to make them shine on their own. Awesome saws, but for firewood, you are going to have a hard time beating your 660...

Jason

Sounds good, I am really excited to get it back and throw it in some big wood. I am reall impressed how it is built. Rugged, and simple. I just was hoping I was going to be happy with it. Sounds like I will. It is in good shape, looks like it has low hours. If i do decide I want something else I will let you guys know. My buddy has a 288 that he would trade me, but this 2101 has lower hours on it so first thing im gonna do when I get it back is find some big logs. Got one I dindt finish during the spring, about 4.5 foot eucalyptus. I cut up a ton of those with my 660, and halved, and quartered them. One of my buddies I worked with never saw a 660 in action, and was amazed said he had never seen euac manhandled like that!

Thanks griffbm3, thats exactly how I was feeling. I will be cutting more big logs, and quartering some big rounds another big saw wont hurt my collection any, and even when thinking of trading or selling it I am relluctant, baecause it is pretty clean, and a piece of history really. In my high climbers, and timber fallers book that saw is on many pages! I still bust out my 044 quite a bit too, I love that thing to be honest for a saw to run all day one of my favorites, and so easy on me.

I recently bought a pretty low hour 2101xp from a good friend of mine. It needed some minor stuff, but I was really excited because I have always wanted one, and a 288xp. Never run the 2101 until this one but still wanted one. I do tree work for side work, and of couarse firewood for us, and family for the year. I dont cut as much as the pro but do cut alot from time to time, and get into some big stuff fairly often. My lineup is a 51 husky 20in 044 28in, ms660 32in, and now the 2101 34in. Befor I bught my 660 I cut all the big stuff with the 44, and a 32in bar. Did well even cut 5foot stuff. But came across a 660 I could afford dindt think I would use it much except for stumps. Tell you what I love it!!!! Comes out every job. My question is I dropped the 2101 off at my saw shop, to have them throw a carb kit in it. I always trust there opionion they always treated me right. They said good find, and good buy the 2101 is a great saw. But when I asked how would you compare it to the 660 they said dont. Meaning they said ti is slower, and I know they are not the same saw, but my heart kind of sank thinking did I just buy an antique that is obsolete compared to my new stuff? I see the 2101 is still pretty popular just want to know I made a good choice.

The 2101xp was rated at less max power than the MS660 is, and it runs at lower rpms. Keep in mind that it basically is a 1972 or so (1100 back then) design, while the 660 is a lot newer.

The 2101xp basically was replaced by the 394xp at about the same time that the 066 appeared. The 3120xp had appeared a few years earlier - but I guess that was to compete with the 084 (later 088/880), and not to replace any earlier Husky.

Last edited:
The 2101 was rated at less max power than the 660 is, and it runs at lower rpms. Keep in mind that it basically is a 1972 or so (1100 back then) design, while the 660 is a lot newer.

Awww... But they sound so much cooler! Never been a fan of the sound of any of the newer Stihls in stock form really. My 084 ain't bad though.

2101xp

I was just digging around at my cousins saw shop looking at serial numbers on some older Echo's and he has a real nice 2101XP with a 50"+ bar sitting there. I asked if it was for sale and he said no it belonged to the shop. They bought it new and used it for the woods end of the sawmill. He said a guy wants to borrow it to cut slab wood bundles. I told him you know what happens when you loan saws out but thats his choice. But i would own one of them for another toy...Bob

Throw a 8 pin sproket on it. It should have more then enough torque to pull the faster chain speed. My ported 288xp pulls a 8 pin with a 36in bar just fine. With the 2101 having more torque you should be fine up to a 36" bar. Anything bigger switch to a 7 pin sproket.

You could also look into having someone port it for you. Heck ask around. I'm sure there are some that will port it for you for free.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised to see my old post pop up LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Winn r, and I were just talking about it. The fact that oops put a lil to much money in it. Oh well now Im broke just need a good carb........ Havent really gotta cut with it I bummed. Sure feels good in the hands though likes its built to the hilt! Norm..........

I was running a o66 in 5ft plus pine some years back It just did not have the low end for a 42 in bar burried in wood. I got one of my 2100s out and I got about 1/3 more production. In this size wood it would way out cut most saws near it today.

But it is a low end saw you dont need that in small wood. And they vibrate plenty. My hands have really paid for running these kind of saws for years.
I love the old saws But my hands thank me for the smoother saws of today:chainsaw:

cOOL mAX. tHATS WHAT ME, AND A BUDDY WERE WONDERING. wE ARE 066S LOVERS WE HAVE THREE. oNE HAS A 48IN CANON BAR, bUT WE figured the 2101 should have more torque, because it has more displacment. We are 66s lovers, but even though not cut with the 2101 yet it grows on you. THe looks, and feel! You can tell its a beast.

Latest posts

Back