2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the thing I feel is unique with the 2100-01 Neil is they can cut anything the bigger saws can like a 3120, 880 and run up to a 60 in bar. I can run the 2101 all day, I may be tired but I can do it, it may cut the giant stuff slower than a 3120, but I have yet to meet anyone that can run a 3120, or a 880 all day, in real work conditions. But 660-2101 yeah buddy!

I hear what your saying norm and can fully understand why. From my own pro days which i used and owned many 2100's ( not 1 single 2101) they were a briliant saw for seriouse log cutting. When the 394 came out i bought one and i guess the 2100 days were gone for me, they just seemed to be a nicer, lighter saw which had a decon. The first 3120 i bought i had lots of problems in the carby (G2 from memory) we had other issues as well and most of them i saw had simular problems.
When those saws came out a new chain came out as well, oregon CJX skip tooth square filed, basicly a 404 chisel cutter on a 058 or 063 3/8 drive. It made the new model saws even better as they could cut through the thick bark better.
I think from memory i was 12 months learning how to file that chain.

I liked using the 3120 because in coastal timber (average size but lots of them) the 394's and 066's were just a little slow getting enough logs to keep a Cat 528 grapple skidder going flat out all day. Later we fell for Cat 525's and although smaller machines they moved faster back and forward.
Sadly that era of logcutting has mostly dissapeared due to harvesters takeing over. I have never used bars longer than 42inch as we simply did not need them, 36inch oregon was my pet old growth bar on a 3120 and a 394 with a 30inch bar as backup.
Just different styles of work between countries but i will say this, i think we all must be very good at our trade because we are still alive to talk about it and make lite comment to funny things that happen along the way.
You blokes are ok.

Last edited:
Neil, Brother you are ok youreself! I said it a time or two, my respect for the Aussie's, I like to think we a close in the gene pool. Big's saw's, and tree's. Board dog's and rank boar's. Rugged country love for saws. But I dont drive on the wrong side of the road, unless I was drinking:laugh: P.S you are right on key It's been my motto for along time, I am a biggers saw guy. And untill somebody does prodcution falling in big wood, they dont understand what you, and I are saying. My friend Brian parmeter, John the climber's younger brother lives in Oregon. Was falling for years, and alot of helicopter work fast! And still getting big wood. For awhile packing a 880 with a 42in bar to keep up. Said if he was man enough that would be his only saw. Just needed the speed to get the wood on the ground. They were moving! The Parmeter brothers would fit in good in Austaralia, they dont wear short's but nobodies pefect!

I have a mvp 2100 and its awsome, it was a top end performer in the states until the 140cc 3120's come on the scene.

Might as well ship this dinosaur back to the states (to me !!!!) since it's not even close to competative any more ! Probably worn out by now anyway..............

:monkey:

Might as well ship this dinosaur back to the states (to me !!!!) since it's not even close to competative any more ! Probably worn out by now anyway..............

I agree:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Pm you my address LOL!

You fellas are SOL(#### outta luck). I've already contacted Neil, and he said he'd be happy to send it to me since I'm the only one who freely hands out rep here in this thread, and also for sending him those manuals he needed. He sure is a swell guy...............better luck next time boys............:hmm3grin2orange:

hahahaha, now steady on now, there are some things that will not happen.
Passing the bite,,,, that genuine MVP 2100 was built by marsel vincent and was owned by jason egon (bushweasel) from idaho and its a exceptional piece of enginearing. I only have 1 pic of it and i put it up some time back in another thread.
Worn out,,, sorry, and besides it is an alky saw which is not adviseable for general use.
Actualy it will be racing in 2 weeks and again in about 5 weeks in U100cc unlimited modified production class, but its more competitive in open class.

How right you are Jon, so I went ahead, and reped Neil, and ductape! Cant rep you again yet, says's I gotta you know wait ahwile. Neil hang on to that bastard! Ductape what was youre first Name?

Which thread? Now I'm curious. :msp_confused:

Scott i don't have any 2100 pics except this quick snap my young bloke took, in a couple of weeks i may have some race footage of me following the rest, hopefully not.....

Last edited:
Goodstuff Neil, I would love to hear the sound of that bastard! Looks like my old cr480 pipe, sweet Jesus, bet you dont even need earplugs:jester:

Goodstuff Neil, I would love to hear the sound of that bastard! Looks like my old cr480 pipe, sweet Jesus, bet you dont even need earplugs:jester:

You are so spot on norm provideing your deaf, she is an interesting saw and i am still learning its secrets, it absolutely drowns me in fuel when going full tilt. It is 1 of only 2 in australia that are genuine MVP's, the other is in QLD and the owner does not race her. Both these saws run on 120 fuel.

I can not blame him at all for not raceing it, because unless the operator is totaly up to speed with these saws, seriouse damage to the saw or operator will happen and that is a fact.

It takes balls to run these hotsaws confidantly and safely, i totaly admire hotsaw and bikesaw racers world wide for the fact i know how difficult it is to do correctly.
Its an incredable adrenaline rush, winning major events at national level.

I should mention i think the other mvp 2100 owner may be a member on this forum, i know he is on the other race forum.

Last edited:
Neil,
Any idea who makes the 140cc 3120 kits? I've never seen one Stateside. Heck.... I know where there is a 3120 that needs a P & C. Sounds tasty !! :wink2:

Neil,
Any idea who makes the 140cc 3120 kits? I've never seen one Stateside. Heck.... I know where there is a 3120 that needs a P & C. Sounds tasty !! :wink2:

Scott, the mod is expencive, there are none out here and i want to be the first with one.
I have some emails somewhere i can check back and see if i can find some numbers for you.
I think there are only a few stateside racing and they are scary fast from what i have been told.

from what i have been told they are a stroked crank and a 62mm piston so its not hard to see why it is an expencive mod.
eg.. cylinder rebore then chrome or nicasil. I'm not even going to try and emagine how they stroke the 3120 crank.
neil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back