2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you guys are all about the 2101s, I thought about asking here. Picked up a clean 2101 that would not idle down. Found the intake manifold cracked but replacing that didn't improve the situation. I just got in from tearing apart the saw and found the source of the leak. The upper SEM module screw had fallen out and left an open hole clean thru to the crankcase. Airleak from hell!!

Looks like the loose screw did damage to the flywheel from bouncing around and the fragments actually started to wear thru the ignition module plastic and exposed the core CCW from the screw. I found tiny aluminum flecks all over the module, on the flywheel and sucked into the case. This saw never lost spark so I'm wondering about my chances keeping the original module and replacing the flywheel with a good one. Any thoughts??

I had considered that a dropped crank bearing did the damage to the coil but the mains are tight and smooth.

Do I use anything special to seal the upper module screw to prevent it leaking?

Chris B.

Chris, can you post a pic of the area, and damage. That would really help size it up for us. I have learned alot about the 2101 by owning one. There are guy's on this site who can do all repairs big, and small, and walk alot of guy's through as well. I have been helped a few times myself. Youre repairs will depend on the extent of the damage, but one thing I can say for sure is, the 2101 is definately worth running, and fixing. Norm.

Chris, can you post a pic of the area, and damage. That would really help size it up for us. I have learned alot about the 2101 by owning one. There are guy's on this site who can do all repairs big, and small, and walk alot of guy's through as well. I have been helped a few times myself. Youre repairs will depend on the extent of the damage, but one thing I can say for sure is, the 2101 is definately worth running, and fixing. Norm.

I cleaned it off and compared to another intact coil. I overreacted a bit. The core is supposed to be exposed. The only visible coil damage are some dings to the plastic. The flywheel got the worst of it from the screw. Aluminum flakes everywhere. I put the screw back in with some Permatex. Saw runs great now.

Next, the clutch spring needs to be replaced. Got the engine idling so low it is nearly stalling but the chain still spins.

Chris B.

Good deal Chris, glad it is not as bad, and a runner. Has the saw sat awhile? A common problem I found out from member's here, is the crank seal on the oiler side. Hopefully it is just the clutch, and no more air leak. I would say so, because usually rpm's go jigh with air leak, but when my crank seal was bad it was high at first, then wouldnt idle.

As much as I love my 660. I owe it to my 2101, and other fine muscle saws alike, gotta post one here, because Ive been talking 660 all night LOL!

As much as I love my 660. I owe it to my 2101, and other fine muscle saws alike, gotta post one here, because Ive been talking 660 all night LOL!

Norm,
You are killing me with these threads you have going, and it's to bad we can't recruit Eccentric into one of these, but then I guess he'd have to go darker than yellow and end up with an orange saw.......:msp_biggrin:
Anyway I got asked to go cut with my oldest sons FIL, and I ran it by the wife, and she said sure why not. You're in an aircast, and it's not like you could make it worse. Man that woman of mine sure does surprise me on occasion.
So it's time for the 2100, and 288. Heck I might go ahead and run my Mastermoobed Ms 390...........:rock:.LOL!!!!
Feel free to shoot me some rep sometime Norm........:msp_smile:

I love it Jon, thats the spirit:clap: Thats what this thread is all about. Did try, and rep ya, but says spread it, so I did get ya awhile back. I think Aaron could go for a 2101, or a 288 for sure. Dont know where he is hiding lately.

I love it Jon, thats the spirit:clap: Thats what this thread is all about. Did try, and rep ya, but says spread it, so I did get ya awhile back. I think Aaron could go for a 2101, or a 288 for sure. Dont know where he is hiding lately.

Thanks for the effort Norm. Aaron has actually been helping me out with my newly acquired low hour Pro Mac 800. It needs a few things to make it like new, and he's been a big help with part numbers, and encouragement. Oh yeah, and I picked up a 7-10A also.

I think Aaron has been polluted, he has that weeny top handled faux mini-mac saw, I think they call it a stihl. There is small hope that he might see the light and get a full on Cheeto colored chainsaw.

Norm,
You are killing me with these threads you have going, and it's to bad we can't recruit Eccentric into one of these, but then I guess he'd have to go darker than yellow and end up with an orange saw.......:msp_biggrin:
Anyway I got asked to go cut with my oldest sons FIL, and I ran it by the wife, and she said sure why not. You're in an aircast, and it's not like you could make it worse. Man that woman of mine sure does surprise me on occasion.
So it's time for the 2100, and 288. Heck I might go ahead and run my Mastermoobed Ms 390...........:rock:.LOL!!!!
Feel free to shoot me some rep sometime Norm........:msp_smile:

Well if you'd let me talk your wife into letting me confiscate that 2100CD of yours, then I'd be part of the club Jon. I've posted a few times in this thread BTW. Just haven't for a while. Read a few pages (or more) back...:D

I think Aaron has been polluted, he has that weeny top handled faux mini-mac saw, I think they call it a stihl. There is small hope that he might see the light and get a full on Cheeto colored chainsaw.

Bah. My only top handle saws are old Poulans, a little Homelite XL-A from Jon, and a box of genuine mini-mcmisery that's stashed in a dark corner of the garage somewhere. The little creamsicle is a rear handle (Jon1212 has a top handle similar to it though), and is just my beater. Saves the paint on the little poulans and the E-Z saws when doing the dirty/scratchy brush work. I had a cheeto colored saw for a spell (yes it was a 'pro' model), but it had way too damn much plastic, springs, integrated control lever thingees, and other gizmos. Got it off a CL seller. Damn thing just felt 'wrong'. Sounded like an angry vacuum cleaner too. Was a strong runner, but not my style. Had to fire up the McCulloch 650 gear drive afterwards just to clense myself. I traded the caution-cone plastic-fantastic saw to a Canuck for some NOS McCulloch SP-81 parts and a pair of NOS McCulloch and Homelite bars. So there!:jester:

Last edited:
LOL! Good stuff! Randy and Aaron, missed you guy's. Kind of a blast from the past anymore. You guy's losing interest on the site? Its not the same without you two, regular like. P.S Aaron Parmeter will be texting you to get you the cash for the parts. Jon Im still jeaulous man, because I still want a 288!

LOL! Good stuff! Randy and Aaron, missed you guy's. Kind of a blast from the past anymore. You guy's losing interest on the site? Its not the same without you two, regular like. P.S Aaron Parmeter will be texting you to get you the cash for the parts. Jon Im still jeaulous man, because I still want a 288!

Norm.
If we ever get to cut together I'd be happy to let you use my 288. Just do me a favor and return it after you wipe the drool off of it...............:laugh:

Have been very busy with non saw stuff lately Norm. Also couldn't get on as for a couple days, and don't notifications of new posts anymore. The thread headings don't even show up in bold dark green when there are unread posts much of the time. I have to go skimming the threads I'm active in to see if anybody has posted now. I don't have the free time or the memory to keep up....

Texted back and forth with John P. Will meet him at CR tomorrow morning around 10.

Right on Jon! Would love to meet you someday. Aaron miss u buddy! Skimming through thats what I do anyway LOL!

Frustrating...auto oiler

Can't get it to work. I put two "newer" gears into the oiler, swapped the screws for front and rear, blew out the lines (and the saw too, what a mess), checked the IPL to make sure I had all the parts and STILL no auto oiling...I can manual pump the oil with no problems but would like to have it work the way it was intended!!

Maddening!!

That's definately a weird, and frustrating one. You got me. Greg every time I see youre listing of saw's Im impressed!:clap:

Latest posts

Back