2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Dave, you know me and 2100's-01's I will keep mine till the end of time. I would definately keep the 2101, 3120 is a great saw hard to get rid of that too, but the pot is pretty sweet! Homy Jim I understand, as long as you are happy, and I agree with Frasier, and 7hpjim, bulletproof! I will tell ya first hand I have seen 288's go through things that a saw should never have to, and walk away strong and running like a SOB! One of the best ever built saws of any brand, strong, and will oil and pull even a 42inch bar. Strong, you know me too on the 66 love, the 288 will test your faith against a 66, they are that good. Aaron thanks on the recipe, you think you can salvage bearings? I would like to say a big thank you for a favor I never even asked for. All our V-stack, and k&N adapter talk, and being harder to find, I get a text message from Cary yesterday, he found a V-stack at the saw shop, he had already grabbed it, and it's in the mail to me, what can I say but thank you, and a pal is a pal, that is a friend for sure! That is what I love about this place, and why I love our handfull of really good threads, and fine friends, thank you Cary;)

Bit offtopic but what the hell you know those little metal rollers inside bearings?? Now not sure about the ones in chainsaws but cant see why the quality of metal be different but ones from trucks, cars etc... make excellent knife material. Properly melted down and everything- need a skilled metallurgist or blacksmith though etc... but the material its free or real cheap at scrapyards knives made from them hold an excellent edge easily shave the hair of your arm and stay sharp throughout skinning unlike the crap from china.

Bit offtopic but what the hell you know those little metal rollers inside bearings?? Now not sure about the ones in chainsaws but cant see why the quality of metal be different but ones from trucks, cars etc... make excellent knife material. Properly melted down and everything- need a skilled metallurgist or blacksmith though etc... but the material its free or real cheap at scrapyards knives made from them hold an excellent edge easily shave the hair of your arm and stay sharp throughout skinning unlike the crap from china.

They're high speed bearings. Quality of the steel should be the same as the automotive bearings (or better). I know a guy who's a blacksmith. I oughta ask him sometime once I build up a bucket full of old saw bearings. Need to get caught up with the man anyways. He's the guy who gave me my 'basket case' 031AV back in 1984 or so when I was 11 (and started my connection with chainsaws). He also sold me my 66 Bronco a few years later (again.............wish I still had it). If you watch Mythbusters and have seen the episodes where they tried to get hammers to shatter by striking two together.........................well you'd have seen the fellow I'm talking about. The Mythbusters crew visited him for input. The man knows his metals.:msp_thumbup:

Good deal Buddy, makes sense, and thank you! I am wondering to sell the 660, and buy a 395? Am I sounding like a big husky lover or something:wink2:

That's a tough one bro. You already have the 660 and it's a good working saw. Much as it goes against my 'grain' to say it.............................you'd probably be better off (money ahead) just keeping the 660 vs selling it and then finding a good 395XP. Now if you could work out a trade with somebody like MasterMind............then you may yet get your 395 afterall.:D

That's a tough one bro. You already have the 660 and it's a good working saw. Much as it goes against my 'grain' to say it.............................you'd probably be better off (money ahead) just keeping the 660 vs selling it and then finding a good 395XP. Now if you could work out a trade with somebody like MasterMind............then you may yet get your 395 afterall.:D

Or keep the working saw 660 and get a very good used 395XP from one of the weekend cookie cutters:msp_wink:

After reading through this thread and knowing you are decent guys i was wondering if anyone here would be interested in a ported 084av with low compression and a couple bars id trade it even up for a 090 id like the one with the handle that goes right over the top of the saw the old style i guess it can be in the same condition as the 084 not running but complete with a 30 inch sprocket nose bar or bigger i really just want it for parts for mine and i know how you guys love these big saws maybe not quite as much as i do but i know you guys really love your saws and so do i so from one old saw guy to another bunch of saw guys can any of ya help me out and maybe ill help you out at the same time thanks yall and god bless

One of the thing I feel is unique with the 2100-01 Neil is they can cut anything the bigger saws can like a 3120, 880 and run up to a 60 in bar. I can run the 2101 all day, I may be tired but I can do it, it may cut the giant stuff slower than a 3120, but I have yet to meet anyone that can run a 3120, or a 880 all day, in real work conditions. But 660-2101 yeah buddy!

Ill say this i have yet to meet a saw i wont run all day i have run both saws you mentioned all day with no problem i have also run a base still 090 not av all day and loved it yeah maybe after your done your arms keep shaking and your ears are ringing but its worth it running those saws nothing beats it

Ill say this i have yet to meet a saw i wont run all day i have run both saws you mentioned all day with no problem i have also run a base still 090 not av all day and loved it yeah maybe after your done your arms keep shaking and your ears are ringing but its worth it running those saws nothing beats it
True, as I to have not run many saws I did not like;) The old 090 over the top handle, old school unique, hope you find one my friend. Aaron true, I would break even, sell the 660, and had the lead like I mentioned when I saw you as the same price, but like you say I know what I got, and nothing wrong with it. Cary may just do that, best of both worlds, own both would love too!:rock: Cary the v-satck came today thanks so much! I will get the check off, was not waiting on the part, I know you are stand up:rock: Just been crazy lately, I will get it off asap!

True, as I to have not run many saws I did not like;) The old 090 over the top handle, old school unique, hope you find one my friend. Aaron true, I would break even, sell the 660, and had the lead like I mentioned when I saw you as the same price, but like you say I know what I got, and nothing wrong with it. Cary may just do that, best of both worlds, own both would love too!:rock: Cary the v-satck came today thanks so much! I will get the check off, was not waiting on the part, I know you are stand up:rock: Just been crazy lately, I will get it off asap!

Norm didja see John grinning while holding his 'new' Homelite 750 this afternoon? That made my day. I should have snapped a pic of him holding that big Homelite with the 48" Cannon on it. Left my phone back at the truck however...

Good morning indeed my friends. A little sore and tired, good hard run with the dogs yesterday, we got a nice pig. Aaron we may be able to sell tickets for that one:msp_biggrin: Jim Aaron will have to help me on the video, oh wait he will be wanting to cut:D Oh yeah can't wait for some more big wood.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back