225 acre hardwood lot worth ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd, please remember your talking to a bunch of americans lol to be honest, even though gypo logger is a ****'n has been cull he's probably the best guy your gonna talk to about this on this site simply because he cut hardwood back east for 20+ years IN Canada. the forest industry between countries is very different and while there has been alot of good advice given regardless you need to talk to canadian professionals. yanks can buy it but they can't log it. not trying to scare you off but this was probably the worst F&L section to post in for you lol if your into online discussion in the meantime you will have much more canadian industry info at the forestry forum.

Much different then getting a forester and a bunch of bids? Explain... You're Canadian. Let's get your insight.

don't think that could have been the good advice given? i have no experience with eastern sapling trimming but i hear it's a ****'n cake walk compared to **** here going by guys who have done both. it's rare that we even see a small time private show here and that's all you do. there have been a few cases where land owners weren't even allowed to log their land. **** like that he need someone in the know for. someone from here would only be able to tell him what he has. when it comes to "marking the woods" as you say you wouldn't know where to start here just like Jon wouldn't know where to start there.

I genuinely want to know how is it different?

Both sides either hand fall or mechanized, canada has some more hoops to jump through to be able to work, but at the end of the day we're just killin trees and shipping them to a mill, markets on the left coast are about identical except export, i would imagine the east coast wouldn't be much different .

Maybe a few more regulations to weed through... or less hopefully less...

regulations is the big thing. some lands were put aside as wild life tree patches years ago or can even be a part of an old cultural site. there have been times land owners can't even do anything with their land even though they own it. doubt a whole 225 acres though. regardless, madhattes advice was the best and he stopped it right where he had to because he cannot give anymore advice then that. for anyone from the states other then a buyer to walk his property would just be a complete waste of time. some hoops is an understatement too. i swear it's more work to keep people logging then it is the log lol at least here in the west. the hoops of fire is why he needs someone from Canada to look at what he has and hear his plan.

Just wondering how steep is steep? Although anything can be logged, not everything can be logged with ground based equipment. The steeper the ground, the more your ground might be torn up. That all depends on the skill level of the logger. Also, your road may not be in a place that is ideal for logging. Maybe it is.

Before signing any contract, check references! Local people know who the crooks are. Go look at an actual logging job. Look for skinned up trees, ruts, and locations of roads and landings. You might change your mind.

Here's how it works: Proper forest management is a three way cooperation between the forestor, the landowner and the operator. A guy like Bitzer would screw you into next week at 500$ an acre. He simply just doesn't have the experience or marketing skills, let alone how to cut for grade or yield. He's the kinda guy you chase off the landing. Sorry Bitz. Lol
On a more positive note take your time before you sell. Government forestors rarely if ever will give you specific references, but rather a list of all operators. Private forestors can be in the pocket of a mill or log buyer.
Everyone needs to get their cut. Selling to the horses mouth always worked for me, sans any middle man.

Here's how it works: Proper forest management is a three way cooperation between the forestor, the landowner and the operator. A guy like Bitzer would screw you into next week at 500$ an acre. He simply just doesn't have the experience or marketing skills, let alone how to cut for grade or yield. He's the kinda guy you chase off the landing. Sorry Bitz. Lol
On a more positive note take your time before you sell. Government forestors rarely if ever will give you specific references, but rather a list of all operators. Private forestors can be in the pocket of a mill or log buyer.
Everyone needs to get their cut. Selling to the horses mouth always worked for me, sans any middle man.

quit talking like you know! your experience is limited to the fireweed and cullberry vinyards! now go poor another refreshment!!! lol

$500 an acre?! The last property we did we paid about $120 a acre.
This property we are paying by load.

Haha my God you guys Crack me up lol!
It's not overly steep and one deal that WILL be made is whatever road they use to get to the wood will be fixed as good as possible before they pull out and if they don't want to do that and respect my land I can leave it be and just hunt on it as I do and cut firewood , it's not a big deal I'm 28 and a pipe welder I just am looking for ways to get myself out of the oil patch earlier in life then I had planed sick of the traveling....it's no rush tomorrow I will call and see if I can find a forestier and start there.

It's not to steep to use a ported one was used next door last year for firewood lol

Haha my God you guys Crack me up lol!
It's not overly steep and one deal that WILL be made is whatever road they use to get to the wood will be fixed as good as possible before they pull out and if they don't want to do that and respect my land I can leave it be and just hunt on it as I do and cut firewood , it's not a big deal I'm 28 and a pipe welder I just am looking for ways to get myself out of the oil patch earlier in life then I had planed sick of the traveling....it's no rush tomorrow I will call and see if I can find a forestier and start there.

It's not to steep to use a ported one was used next door last year for firewood lol
Todd, lets make it simple. I'll pay you 62,500 for 250 trees, but I get to do the cherry picking.

No idea what any of these comments mean but u come in down give me 6200 u can have 40 acres of where ever ya want lol...

That was one spot in what 20x30 area lol ...

image.jpeg image.jpeg
By the way look behind the guy standing in the pic see if ya can get ur arms around that one...lol many more like it
The tree in the picture looked somewhat burly and of low grade. When you get a chance could take more pics?
There are several different grade of logs. The best being a perfect cylinder with minimal taper and no visual external or internal defects.

No idea what any of these comments mean but u come in down give me 6200 u can have 40 acres of where ever ya want lol...

That was one spot in what 20x30 area lol ...

don't tempt him. you don't wanna meet ol' cullberry vino. he's in the yukon for a reason lol

Latest posts

Back