22t Huskee Splitter Rehab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntn Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Last Saturday I decided to inspect my splitter to get ready for the coming cutting season. The wheel bearings were shot and one was rusted to the spindle. I got that fixed and put back together but that night I decided to take care of the rust problem from towing it on roads with de-icer. The factory paint job on them is definately a weak point, especially since they don't use primer. I could peel large sheets of paint off of it. While I was at it, I decided to move the filter to the return side from the suction side, like they come now. It did quiet down the pump considerably.

When I asked my 8 year old daughter what color we should use, she said "camo." I did have some paint left over from my tree stand, so that is what we did. I flap-disked the paint/rust and used a rust converting primer before painting it olive drab with tan, black and brown accents. It was a bigger job than I planned on, but I am happy with the results.

I also changed the oil 5w-30 synthetic, new lovejoy bushing, new synthetic hydraulic 32 (free from my boss :rock:), and new hydraulic filter. I bought this spliter on 9/21/2007 and the only thing I had ever done was change the oil every year and the filter once. Also, I would recommend never trying to remove the muffler bolts unless you have a problem. I had to drive out a broken screw extractor and use a heli-coil to reinstall the muffler. :dizzy: I am going to install tables also before using it. I have to wait for my buddy to have time since he has a welder. I think the filter would be broken on the first piece that got dropped.

051.jpg

050.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good. I just hope that I don't run into it while I am working, maybe should have used floresent pink, lol!

Looks nice I have a speeco woodspliter and my filter is under the main beam.

Came out real nice. Your Daughter has good taste. How far do you normally pull it on the road? Around here I would have to put a plate on it if I was going much further than a mile or two.

I have gone as far as 8 miles, but I generally don't tow it more than 3. I usually haul it on the trailer with the wood. I don't like to tow it because the wheels are so small and it doesn't have a suspension. I am amazed that it didn't end in catastrophe the last time when the trailer was stuck and I had to tow it 5 miles to my cousin's as it was getting dark. I went real slow but the bearings had to be going out already.

We don't have to plate them here. At least, I don't think so!:hmm3grin2orange:

Back