24-36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rburg

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For those of you who cut wood in the 24"-36" diameter range, how do you handle the rounds when you get ready to load? I recently weighed a couple of rounds that I had cut and noodled and one of them weighed approximately 340lbs and one of them weighed approximately 700lbs. The rounds were noodled in 8-10 pieces each. We have alot of this wood available after all the spring storms and I just wondered how people who use this size wood handle it.

I quarter them or into smaller lighter pieces by noodling. If a tractor is close by I just leave them whole rounds and let the guy burning it split it into what size they want.

Log truck with a prentice loader usually works well. If you can line up a good haul, it might be worth hiring a truck for an hour or two. Barring that, I would probably bring a splitter with a lift and deck them up on sight. No splitter? Old school maul and wedge. I would only quarter rounds with a saw that were not splittable (elm). Too hard on the saw and too much debris.

Log truck with a prentice loader usually works well. If you can line up a good haul, it might be worth hiring a truck for an hour or two. Barring that, I would probably bring a splitter with a lift and deck them up on sight. No splitter? Old school maul and wedge. I would only quarter rounds with a saw that were not splittable (elm). Too hard on the saw and too much debris.

Amen on saw-conservation. Noodling all the way through also wastes a lot of wood IMHO. Noodling a couple of inches in makes it pretty easy (relatively) to drive a wedge in at one end and/or split with a 6 lb maul at the other. Pretty easy to keep clutch housing from getting clogged with curlies. Hybrid approach? :msp_smile:

Amen on saw-conservation. Noodling all the way through also wastes a lot of wood IMHO. Noodling a couple of inches in makes it pretty easy (relatively) to drive a wedge in at one end and/or split with a 6 lb maul at the other. Pretty easy to keep clutch housing from getting clogged with curlies. Hybrid approach? :msp_smile:

I have been known to cut a slot or two to help out a wedge but I usually just look for the natural cracks and set the wedge accordingly. You can get yourself a blackpowder wedge. Makes splitting rounds or whole butts effortless.

YouTube - ‪Black Powder Wood Splitter‬‏

I cut rounds to 42" and just roll them on my trailer using a motorcycle ramp. I back the jeep up over big rocks with the back tires first. That gets the trailer lower. Then I have a vertical splitter.

This, if it gets too big for this tractor I have a JD 990 with loader also. The 990 has handled anything I've thrown at it.

166709d1293918592-pict0237-jpg

Yeah! To hell with your back, conserve the saw.:hmm3grin2orange: I thought that's why we bought power saws instead of hand saws? Unless you have a seven year old then your set. The debris/waste also stunt doubles on occasion as a paper substitute in the stove, and mulch for the plants.

Dont noodle rounds much until they start getting around 30-36", and dont deal with them often. Maul has worked pretty well for me in the past. My splitter has spoiled me a bit in the last couple years.

Here's what not to do: Don't try to move a 52" red oak round using a cant hook and only the right side of your body (sprained neck and left shoulder). Result: A dissected carotid artery, mucho medical bills and six months of doing nothing. :cry: Ron

I usually just take out my binoculars. I turn them around and look thru the lens backwards so stuff gets smaller. Then when they are small enough, I throw em on the splitter and chunk 'em up real quick. Once split, I take the binocs and look at 'em the correct way and voila'! All done! :hmm3grin2orange:

This technique also works great for getting that monster buck out of the deep woods!
Ted

Latest posts

Back