24" 550xp or 261cm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ive been running a 24" .325 bar on a 550xp and was wondering if that's ok for that small a saw? Its working well for the small softwood here in Michigan's upper peninsula. Would a 261 be more well suited for a 24" bar possibly? Thank You!

Ive been running a 24" .325 bar on a 550xp and was wondering if that's ok for that small a saw? Its working well for the small softwood here in Michigan's upper peninsula. Would a 261 be more well suited for a 24" bar possibly? Thank You!

You can't possibly be near the cutting potential of the saw with that many teeth to pull, UNLESS you're cutting Balsa wood?
You need 60cc to pull a 24" bar with full skip chain in most soft wood.

I run a 24" on my 044 and it lugs it in oak. So now I put it on my 048 instead.

If that's the case I might as well sell my 2 044s, 036, pp 365 and 048 so I can get a new 261cm ported

Id keep the 44s and the pp365 (just cause it's a little different). The other 2 could go though. No need for 60cc saw if you have a ported 50cc.

Brand new chain but it was on my nwp big bore saw and it hasn't impressed me at all. But I have a fix for it now. Just got new caber rings and a oem 046 cylinder to make it a true hybrid. Without a base gasket I only got .032 squish with the nwp cylinder. Which throws everything off.

That explains abit. Before my hybrid my 44 pulled a 25 well.

When I cut in the UP, a MS 260 PRO with 16" is as big as I care to use. Most of the time it's a MS 180 C-B with 14". There's not much old growth left up there.

After owning/using a 261 I'd stick with the 550xp (preferably with a 20" or shorter bar). JMO

Why are you using a 24" bar on "small" trees?

My thoughts exactly. o_O The 550XP is a light saw with awesome handling and balance, why wreck that with a huge 24" bar? I am awaiting delivery of a ported one soon....... can't wait!

I would not use a 24" unless the wood is at least 24" diameter. It would be with my 7900 too, but i cut mainly hardwood. Cutting softwood is like having a holiday for me. :)
Up to around 23" i would still be using a 20" bar with the 372XP. I only lug the big saws with a big bar when the wood calls for it. It's hard work already without making it harder for yourself. :chop:

I started carrying the saw with a 24" bar as I work for the railroad and I occasionally trim the snags left behind by the drivers when our pulp flats were ready to be pulled. The saw seemed to do ok for firewood as well? I guess I was wondering if it was bad for the saw and if anybody had good results with a 24 on a 550xp or 261cm? Thanks for all the input none the less. Stay Safe.

Latest posts

Back