24" 550xp or 261cm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you might be using this saw almost like a "limbing saw"! If that's the case then the long bar does sort of make sense. I suspect the main thrust of the negative comments (about a 24" bar) was the assumption that you would be using a 50cc saw "buried". That would generally be considered a no-no or at the VERY least not optimum.

BTW, I had to look up "pulp flat" to understand what you meant. :eek:

Where did you get your bar for a 550 xp? as I understand they have a small bar mount and I didn't think you could get a 24" bar with a small bar mount.

I am currently looking at buying a 550 XP and want to put a 24" bar on it as I am a builder and I have a job coming up where I need to bury steel plates 450mm into a beam thats about 18''. I have no intention of over loading the saw all I want is a bar capable of this. I also have no need for a large saw in the future so was thinking to get a 16'' bar for it also

Forester makes a small mount 24" bar. I have one on my 555 (with skip chain) and this saw/chain combo works great when going after old knotty Az hardwood.

I considered the 550XP but the 555 seemed like a better fit for the knotty deadwood I run into. The lower vibe rating of the 555 makes it less tiring also. IMO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA9873K/ref=pe_450840_121154280_em_1p_0_ti

You are obviously doing it, and it's working. The only real drama I see is that the 550 is only specced to run up to a 20" bar. Husqvarna are pretty much bang on with there specs in this sense, so I'm sure it would oil a 20" bar, but I'd imagine it would struggle to oil the 24".

Latest posts

Back