2500 HD with Service body for firewood truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for a new firewood hauler and general use truck. Found a Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with a service body. Thoughts on using this for firewood? I was thinking it would be handy to put all my gear in the tubs in the storage and grab what I need when I head into the woods. I generally deliver 1/2 to 1 cord using a trailer so bed capacity is not really an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Neighbor has an old 70's dodge 1 ton with a service body on it that he uses for firewood. Has a hd crane with a small winch mounted to service body for hauling in the heavy stuff. He fills up the back of it & a trailer. He likes it, I prefer my regular pickup with racks.

It has possibilities, especially if you have a vise mounted somewhere. On the other hand...how much room do you need? If you carry a lot of stuff, a service body would be handy. Me, I don't carry much other than a couple of saws, couple of log chains, gas, oil, files, water, maybe a maul.

A dump bed is 100x better for delivering firewood.
A service truck is handy too (we have 2), but they are used for hauling tools/supplies for servicing and repairing the equipment out in the woods.

What brand truck? A cord could be "nothing" for one 3/4 ton, while it could break another. Between the service bed and all the tools, and a cord of wood I wouldn't be surprised to see the truck weighing 5-6 tons.

A dump bed is 100x better for delivering firewood.
A service truck is handy too (we have 2), but they are used for hauling tools/supplies for servicing and repairing the equipment out in the woods.

What brand truck? A cord could be "nothing" for one 3/4 ton, while it could break another. Between the service bed and all the tools, and a cord of wood I wouldn't be surprised to see the truck weighing 5-6 tons.

Silverado- Chevrolet.

I would think pretty handy for hauling the saws and tools safely, as long as you are using a trailer for the wood.

Lot of it depends on how much you plan to cut & if you're planning to sell some. If its more than personal use & selling couple cords for beer money than it would get old fast. Unless you have a dump trailer already.Dump part really speeds things up when unloading.

I've sold at least 8 cord so far this year and have 5 more ready to go and endless tops that have been sitting since last nov and at least 20 cord in a butt pile if I need it. Seriously overloading my current set up and can't find anything reasonably priced, even for the mileage

How much can you haul on your trailer? You can probably get half cord in bed of service truck bed. Is that enough for most of your sales? Older rust free trucks are common up here so its hard for me to say, whatever works & is available at the right price for you.

Back