262XP project (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is turning orange again....

DSCN3727.jpg

DSCN3723.jpg

That is an AWESOME paint job!

Both the primer and paint were nicely done!

This saw is gonna be spanky when it's done! :cheers:

Had a chance to work on it some more today. Paint has dried enough to put it back together, still a little soft though. Crank installed...

DSCN3739.jpg

The only problem was I thought I could get the bar studs in when assembled like the 288's...boy was I wrong!!! I ended up pulling the flywheel side back off so I could put the studs in, what a pain in the arse!!!

Next I checked the squish. I use three .020" pieces of solder held in place on the top of the piston with a bit of grease.

DSCN3743.jpg

Put the cylinder back on and tighten it down. Turn the crank a few revolutions and remove the cylinder...

DSCN3749.jpg

I ended up around .012", little tight to run with out a gasket. I'll be making my own base gasket so I end up with around .018"-.020" when done.

DSCN3751.jpg

Mike,

had you shaved the cyl @ all??

or is that 'stock' squish without the gasket?? :dizzy:

J

That is stock squish without gasket....not sure if I'm gonna do much to this saw. They run really good anyway and not much material to remove either.

a beer can should get you to .018.

the cardboard baileys uses for woodland pro chain boxes should get you to .021

Mine was at .016"-.017" with the Beer can. Made me nervous so I changed it for the thinnest gasket material I had, now it's at .023-.024" GRRRR!
Too nervous to use something that's not "gasket material"
Good thread, been waiting to find the stuff I lacked to put a 262 together for a while, coolest saw I never knew I wanted!

I used to buy stainless shim material in a can...used it to shim up compressors etc...not sure where you can get it. I came in different thicknesses if I remember correctly.

The squish on my one was 0.041" its now sitting at 0.018" but theres a tiny little bit right out at the cylinder showing 0.011" !!! Ive run it a fair bit and it seems to be holding up well.

One of the guys i work with has a 028 Stihl I was cutting 4 blocks off a 20" Scots pine for his one lol he gave up and put it back in the pick up.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UTDBQ-N82o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UTDBQ-N82o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Hmm that looks familiar:hmm3grin2orange:

Mine was at .016"-.017" with the Beer can. Made me nervous so I changed it for the thinnest gasket material I had, now it's at .023-.024" GRRRR!
Good thread, been waiting to find the stuff I lacked to put a 262 together for a while, coolest saw I never knew I wanted!

how about the beer can, and a paper-bag shim gasket? or two beer can shims??

Hmm that looks familiar:hmm3grin2orange:

Scot! tell us more... what'd ya do? :popcorn:

J

how about the beer can, and a paper-bag shim gasket? or two beer can shims??

beer cans are only good for about .002-.003". i don't know about stacking them.

i took th squish on a 7900 down about .006" and only gained a about 3-4lbs of compression. that small of a difference in compression could come from atmospheric changes.

262's are great saws........i own two and prefer them to a 361.

Well, we all know how girly US beer is, so their cans are thinner to match the product.:hmm3grin2orange:

This is why I don't drink my beer from a CAN!

attachment.php

i get it delivered like the pic too :D :cheers:

glass doesn't make good gaskets though...

NMurph just copper gasket spray the gaskets together...

Brad used MANY MANY gaskets on the 385 pistoned- 066... 'tractor saw'..

So, I guess I'm gonna have to weld-on a pop-up, or get the base and piston machined then.... :D

OK time for a beer war! lol:cheers: Seriously the US makes some of the finest beers on earth, you just have to look for it.:)

If you like Porters try this.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/226

Porters, IPA's, Brown Ale's...basically anything with color (and is tasty)

@ 175 and 6'1", I can take a couple calories! lol

oh, and a good saw to WORK on with them.. (no tasty beer and cutting!! :angry: )

Back