272xp, is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerstaff94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i found a 272xp with a smoked piston and cylinder. After rebuilding with a meteor big bore kit (52mm not sure if its big bore for the 272) id be about $450 deep assuming it doesnt need anything else. Its a power head only, my only big saw is a stihl so id have to grab a bar and chain.

My next thing is would it have sufficient power to pull a 28” bar with a skip tooth full chisel chain? Im not a builder so i wont be porting it, just big bore(?) 272 with a muffler.

Also, i dont really need it, im just bored lol.

So i found a 272xp with a smoked piston and cylinder. After rebuilding with a meteor big bore kit (52mm not sure if its big bore for the 272) id be about $450 deep assuming it doesnt need anything else. Its a power head only, my only big saw is a stihl so id have to grab a bar and chain.

My next thing is would it have sufficient power to pull a 28” bar with a skip tooth full chisel chain? Im not a builder so i wont be porting it, just big bore(?) 272 with a muffler.

Personally I'd salvage the oem cylinder if possible
272 is 52mm the 268 is 50mm
And I've run some of the hyway popup pistons in stock cylinder's
With a good power increase.
They will pull a 28" not the fastest but they'll do the job
I run 24" on mine.

Personally I'd salvage the oem cylinder if possible
272 is 52mm the 268 is 50mm
And I've run some of the hyway popup pistons in stock cylinder's
With a good power increase.
They will pull a 28" not the fastest but they'll do the job
I run 24" on mine.
If its possible i will, i was just thinking about worst case scenario with the information i have.

272XP is a good saw. I have run a 30 inch bar on mine, it is a little much for it, but it pulls it without much issue. You can also get bar stud adapters, or make some so you can run stihl bars on it.

I rarely bury the 28” bar i have now, but its nice not bending down to buck branches. Although if i need to its nice to have the power to do so. Do the oil holes line up to run a stihl bar on a husqy?

How much is it as is? I feel like you could find a running one for 350-450 if you wanted. That series of saw is legendary but it’s easy to drop 500 bucks on parts trying to fix one up. If it’s the right price for a project though go for it.

How much is it as is? I feel like you could find a running one for 350-450 if you wanted. That series of saw is legendary but it’s easy to drop 500 bucks on parts trying to fix one up. If it’s the right price for a project though go for it.
$275 but it’s in probably an 8 out of 10 aesthetically. Ive found running ones in the $350-$400 range but they look like they were dragged to the job site behind the pickup and left outside their whole lives.

I don’t mind spending a little extra for a cared for saw.

$275 but it’s in probably an 8 out of 10 aesthetically. Ive found running ones in the $350-$400 range but they look like they were dragged to the job site behind the pickup and left outside their whole lives.

I don’t mind spending a little extra for a cared for saw.
I was asking about a 272 a week ago or so.I had found a very nice one for $469 with new 20" b/c owned by a local dealer.Looked very good,I would say 8 out of 10.And ran perfect.I opted for another saw though..

I rarely bury the 28” bar i have now, but its nice not bending down to buck branches. Although if i need to its nice to have the power to do so. Do the oil holes line up to run a stihl bar on a husqy?
Yes, the oil holes line up. A lot of people use stihl bars on huskys so they can swap bars between stihl and husky and not have to worry about carrying a bunch of bars for different saws.

Yes, the oil holes line up. A lot of people use stihl bars on huskys so they can swap bars between stihl and husky and not have to worry about carrying a bunch of bars for different saws.
I’ve seen it, just wasn’t sure how that went about it.
I was asking about a 272 a week ago or so.I had found a very nice one for $469 with new 20" b/c owned by a local dealer.Looked very good,I would say 8 out of 10.And ran perfect.I opted for another saw though..
Dang, i probably would’ve bought that. For some reason im digging the 2xx husqys over then newer offerings.

Saw this on Facebook Screenshot_20220801-110922.png seems like the going rate for clean ones
I'd never sell mine.
I've noticed with 20" bars the 266/268/272 are neck and neck only when you go to longer bars the 272 shine's

Back