Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I picked up the 288 that was in the trading post. It's in pretty good shape with a new piston and nice KS cylinder.

I took it apart last night to check it out better.

Here it is back together this morning. When everyone gets up I'll go and see if it will fire up.

I like the KS cylinders, the ones I have seen have been nicer than Mahle IMO.

I did notice one thing about it. The piston was in backwards and he told me it was hard to turn over. I guess the rings were snagging a bit in the exhaust port. That's fixed now. The other is they used so much sealer on the case halves that I can't tell if it's got a gasket in there. The bearings and seals are new and it turns over smoothly. I just don't know if I want to split it again and put a gasket in there if it needs one. It has a .404"x8 pin on it with the 32" full skip chain. I believe I need to find a .404"x7 or convert it to 3/8". Any body have an extra 3 rivet oregon tip in 3/8"?

This style or the other?

attachment.php

Well it has lots of compression. I broke the starter rope and I don't have any extra here. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow or later to get it started :cry3:

I think I'll get some more rope to keep around also. It will just hang on the rope with a 32" b/c and full of fluids.

I would definitely make sure it has a gasket in there. If not, you don't have the proper distance between bearing centers. There may or may not be enough play in the design to make that happen. Better to be safe than sorry, especially on an good saw like that.

I wondered about that. It does turn over freely and doesn't rub anywhere in the case. I may just go ahead and split it and put one in it. I'm not in a hurry for the saw any way but I do want to hear it run;)

Well it has lots of compression. I broke the starter rope and I don't have any extra here. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow or later to get it started :cry3:

288? Holiday? I'm pulling a rope outta whatever can donate one temporarily ..

You're probably fine, but............................

Yeah I know. I have an extra set of cases with a crank in it and they are very close to the same space in the cases. I guess it wouldn't be much $ and time for peace of mind though. I will have to build another splitter since I used the metal for something else.

Nice 288. I am resurecting a 181 and desperately need plastics from any husky or Jred models that will fit it . My alarm hurt like hell after pulling that beetch over about 50 times .

Yeah I know. I have an extra set of cases with a crank in it and they are very close to the same space in the cases. I guess it wouldn't be much $ and time for peace of mind though. I will have to build another splitter since I used the metal for something else.

Well you had time to work on that baby anymore ??:confused:

Nope had a family reunion to go to today. Maybe tomorrow I'll get back on it.

Back