288xp Lite value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbo

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Came across a 288xp Lite sorta local to me for sale. Don't really need it at the moment, but you know how if you build it, they will come. I really just harvest firewood for my family and help relatives and friends out with firewood and cutting up downed trees. I'm also interested in milling down the road (in the next year or so) but never done it.

I have an 044 w/ brand new 28" ES bar and skip chain. I've used it once in a 40" oak a couple weeks back...it worked, but wasn't really impressive. About what I expected out of the 044. It's a little tired and needs some refreshing maintenance done on it (maybe port work:msp_biggrin:) to really get it where I want it. Don't really want to sell it, but I would if the right replacement came along for a reasonable price...

288 xp lite
new 30" b/c
new carb kit, coils, wiring, piston ring, fuel lines
Seller used to be head mechanic at a small engine repair shop and collects, restores, and sells saws.

What would you give for it?

Does it even make sense for me to get a saw this size at this point?

Like I said, I don't really need it right now and it might be a little overkill for what I come across most of the time, but I feel like it could be useful and advantageous to have a nice 50cc(also have 346xp), 70cc, and 90cc (give or take a few cc's in there.)

Last edited:
bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
i had a 44- loved that saw but got interested in Huskies after joining AS. Of the saws I have- the 288 is my favorite.... period. Do you have in pics of the saw your looking at? Have to take into consideration- mechanical and cosmetic condition to come up with a price. Every once in a while a person gets a great deal on a saw, so not considering those instances I would expect to see 288's going $400-$600 range (factoring in the mechanical and cosmetic variable). A mint one might bring more. B4 I got my 288- I was going to buy a husq 390... but saw no need after putting the 288 in wood. I would rather have the 288 than anything offered today by Stihl or Husq in that CC range. A 288 ported is insane!

Last edited:
bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
On the 44- you could have Randy (Mastermind) put a 46 top end on it and have a 44/46 hybrid since it is a 10mm (or any other builder- I can't tell what part of the country you're in) Go to youtube and watch this video- "mastermind7864 stevens 044". That saw was a 10mm. Probably shouldn't have parted with it after watching the video- made me tear up a bit. :cry:

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you could be in the 250-400 range and everything checks out- I would be all over that. Spend an extra $250 and have it ported- total investment $450-600 dollars, and it would walk all over anything that you would go buy new in a saw shop in that price range.

The other thing is that running a 288 is "gooood for the soul"- the exhaust note is very pleasing to the ear.:rock:

Philbo

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
No pics yet. Hope to get some tomorrow. Price is near the lower end of the ranges y'all are responding with....so it may be a little beat cosmetically?

Is 30" the sweet spot for the a bar/chain combo on this thing? If not, I may try to negotiate for powerhead only and get another size myself....though, 28" I think would be fine and that's pretty close to 30". 36" sounds nice and even, but really that's probably overkill for my uses.

I actually started talking to Randy about getting the 044 ported, but some other things came up at the time and it got put on the back burner. Might have to set aside some funds specifically for that. I don't really want to get rid of the 044 because it's such a good size for most of the hardwood I run into around here...it just needs some sprucing up.

Thanks for the responses...anyone else feel free to chime in. :rock:

tpope

tpope

ArboristSite Guru
I would ensure that it is truly a Lite before paying a premium. That said, a 288 with a decompression valve is a delight to run. I do not notice a difference weight wise between my 288 with a high top and larger filter and my bought new Lite version. They both cut very well. I would want to pay under 450 for a used 288 in good shape, but this is because I have 2 and would only look at a bargain. I would gladly pay new prices for a new 288 saw. That said... I recently bought a Stumpy's 576AT. It rocks my world. Time will tell which is my favorite saw.

Philbo

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
I've read a little on here about the stock lo-top air filters clogging up pretty quickly. Can you change it to a high-top filter if you buy the plastics to accommodate? Is it worth it or is this not really an issue?

The HD filter on my 044 needs cleaning after an hour or so (or less) of cutting, so I'm pretty use to pulling the filter off and cleaning it out anyway.

Philbo

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
I've seen the adaptors where you can run a Stihl bar on certain Huskies. Does anyone know if I can use my 28" Stihl ES bar on a 288? .50 gauge, 3/8ths. 288 isn't listed on the Bailey's page for the adaptor.

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
No pics yet. Hope to get some tomorrow. Price is near the lower end of the ranges y'all are responding with....so it may be a little beat cosmetically?

Is 30" the sweet spot for the a bar/chain combo on this thing? If not, I may try to negotiate for powerhead only and get another size myself....though, 28" I think would be fine and that's pretty close to 30". 36" sounds nice and even, but really that's probably overkill for my uses.

I actually started talking to Randy about getting the 044 ported, but some other things came up at the time and it got put on the back burner. Might have to set aside some funds specifically for that. I don't really want to get rid of the 044 because it's such a good size for most of the hardwood I run into around here...it just needs some sprucing up.

Thanks for the responses...anyone else feel free to chime in. :rock:

Battle Scars are Conversation Starters!:rock: Chicks dig it.

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've read a little on here about the stock lo-top air filters clogging up pretty quickly. Can you change it to a high-top filter if you buy the plastics to accommodate? Is it worth it or is this not really an issue?

The HD filter on my 044 needs cleaning after an hour or so (or less) of cutting, so I'm pretty use to pulling the filter off and cleaning it out anyway.

yes you can get the hightop from baileys. no it isnt necessary in most settings. mine is low top and i havent ever had any trouble.

William Balaska

William Balaska

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've seen the adaptors where you can run a Stihl bar on certain Huskies. Does anyone know if I can use my 28" Stihl ES bar on a 288? .50 gauge, 3/8ths. 288 isn't listed on the Bailey's page for the adaptor.

Yes you can use that bar with the adapter no problem. I have a 288 lite it is one of my favorites and trust me I'm a Stihl guy but have a few Husqvarnas as well.

tpope

tpope

ArboristSite Guru
24 is my everyday bar. 30 is no problem for big wood. Don't care for shorter than 24 bars. Too far to the ground for my 6 foot frame to lean cutting firewood. Would not care to tote a 30 nor sharpen the chain regularly. Go ahead and buy it though. It's cheap as used and if nothing else resell it.

Philbo

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
You aint supposed to talk about good scores until AFTER you buy them here...

just sayin..oh ya..pics..

You have a point there, zogger....I thought about that, but decided to go ahead and pose the question because a lot of the value threads I found searching were 2+ years old. If someone buys it out from under me, so be it. Like I said, I don't need it that bad.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
You have a point there, zogger....I thought about that, but decided to go ahead and pose the question because a lot of the value threads I found searching were 2+ years old. If someone buys it out from under me, so be it. Like I said, I don't need it that bad.

Stuff like that at a good price you can always snag it then pass it on to another member, sell or swap bait. 288s are always popular.

kmcinms

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
A 288 Lite for two fiddy

If you can get it for $250 with all the work that has been done on it, you need to JUMP on it. If nothing else pass it on to someone here that is looking for one. That's a steal!!! :msp_thumbup: