288xp vs 575xp for 20" hardwood bucking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerstrap

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to replace a Stihl 034 with a larger saw for bucking white ash logs. The ash woods died, so its getting cut for firewood. A bigger saw is definealy needed for all this bucking work. My bar will be a 24 to 28.

I've never run a 575 yet (putting one back together now...) but I have run a 288xp a good bit and it wouldn't break a sweat with a 28" bar. 288 is a pretty heavy saw but for just bucking I don't think weight hurts. 575 is probably just fine too, I just haven't run one yet.

I have never ran a 575 but my 288xp cuts like a beast wiith a 28" bar. I'm thinking about putting a 32" on it just for the big stuff. You can't go wrong with it! I would like another one.

o8

If you cant stop a saw in the cut...

Your chain is dull

The rakers are too high

You are cutting real small wood.

I'm not saying a 288 doesn't have a ton of power but any saw can be stopped in the cut with a sharp chain and the rakers low enough... Steve

I use a 575xp to buck up logs for firewood. I like the fuel mileage that the saws gets.

Exactly, its as smooth as they come as well. How much does a 288 weigh? A 575 is probably lighter.

It also will pull a 28" with no problem, in fact it will probably stay close to a 288 with one. The other thing is a 575XP is easy to get parts for.

o8

Your chain is dull

The rakers are too high

I'm not saying a 288 doesn't have a ton of power but any saw can be stopped in the cut with a sharp chain and the rakers low enough... Steve

damn steve,,here you go again,,,,having to prove everything to you,,ok heres the vid,,, 30" hard maple log,,, b/c buried,, new chain,, now you make the decission,, see it didn't stop,,, time for you to eat crow,,, i was pushing it hard too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bgrRL1nPiz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

damn steve,,here you go again,,,,having to prove everything to you,,ok heres the vid,,, 30" hard maple log,,, b/c buried,, new chain,, now you make the decission,, see it didn't stop,,, time for you to eat crow,,, i was pushing it hard too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bgrRL1nPiz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big difference between spalted maple/half dead maple and HARD maple.

I have found my stihl ams361 to be a really strong saw my bar is only 20" but stock it will take a 25" and this is the biggest thing I have cutView attachment 204594 maybe I need a bigger bar

Nice saw, but not even close to a 288

o8

Your chain is dull

The rakers are too high

Yep.....when I see that statement I just laugh......heck, I can stall my 125 with a 36" bar.

I'd go with the 288xp. It's a great saw!

That pretty much sums it up. The 288 is probably about 1lb heavier, but it is definitely stronger and getting parts isn't too hard as there were lots of these produced.................and the 288 has such a satisfying sound!!!!!!!

Never cut with a 575, but my good buddy has one, great saw. But the 288 is legendary has had a long run, and more than proven. One of my all time favorites. For a lb or so in weight you get alot more on torque, and max bar size you can pull. Guy's out here fell big timber and ran up to a 42in bar on them without problems.

I stumbled across a 385XPG in decent shape with a 24" bar for $350 on friday. Bucking was a dream on saturday...that thing cuts great. I feel all 23lbs of that saw today:dizzy:.....I am still waiting for my 288XP from fleabay. I think I have cad????

Latest posts

Back