2in1 Sharpener Pferd and Stihl file sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does the Pferd 2in1 sharpener use a different file size than the Stihl for the 3/8 version? I thought I read somewhere that Pferd uses 7/32 while Stihl uses 13/64. I have a Pferd 2in1 sharpener 3/8 version, actually won it in a giveaway a while back. The Pferd I have has 13/64 files and had trouble getting the files out. The whole thing came apart trying to pull the files out and still had trouble getting them out. It acts like the files are too big. On the handle it does say 5.2mm which is 13/64. But not sure why they would be so tight. I have the Stihl 3/8 version and it has the same size file and they slide right out.

I looked at Pferds on amazon and seen them listed with 7/32 file. I took the round files out of the Pferd and checked to see if they would fit the Stihl version, they are too big. If I was to force them, they would go but would have a heck of a time getting them back out. I measured both the Stihl files and the files that came out of the Pferd, they both say 13/64 on the file. I used a drill bit gauge to measure them, the Pferd files will not fit in 13/64 but will fit 7/32. The Stihl files fit in 13/64. So even though the Pferd files say 13/64, they are not. It does not have a brand name on the files that came with the Pferd version, only the size. I have never used this since I have the Stihl version, this was the first time I messed with it, I won this a while back. On one of the files, I had the put one end in a vise to be able to get it out.

I just received the Pferd one for 404 chain. It has Pferd 7/32 files. The Pferd files don't have a name on them, only their trademark. Its a horse jumping through a hoop, the best I remember.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have both the Pferd 3/8" pitch and .404 pitch ones. My 3/8" one DID did come with 13/64" files and my .404 one came with 7/32" files.

What I did was take my 3/8 pitch one and removed the 13/64" files and installed some SaveEdge 7/32" files. It wasn't easy though as the holes had to be ever so slightly made larger so the larger 7/32" files could be slid in and out. I could have forced the 7/32" file in, but then I don't know if I'd ever get it back out, which I did not want. I took a 7/32" drill bit and actually turned it by hand little bit by little bit and finally got the hole enlarged enough to where the 7/32" files would work. There is no room to get a drill in there, only enough room for a drill bit by itself. I only had to do that with one of them, the other I was able to slide the file in and out fast enough to where the file itself enlarged the hole.

IMG_20210129_091514529.jpg IMG_20210129_091510465.jpg IMG_20210129_091500968.jpg

How is Pferd prononced?
Kash
Silent P......

Ferd

Now I am wondering if this is a pferd.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_104722568.jpg
    IMG_20210129_104722568.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
Now I am wondering if this is a pferd.
nope, that's a cheap Chinese knockoff.

The Pferd and Stihl are the same thing, just different colors.

On my Pferd's, the ends do not come off like that. Once you open up the ends, they have plastic inserts which are removable. This allows them to use the same body for all the file sizes and only change the size of the holes on the plastic inserts for whatever sized files are needed per the model.

I have both the Pferd 3/8" pitch and .404 pitch ones. My 3/8" one DID did come with 13/64" files and my .404 one came with 7/32" files.

What I did was take my 3/8 pitch one and removed the 13/64" files and installed some SaveEdge 7/32" files. It wasn't easy though as the holes had to be ever so slightly made larger so the larger 7/32" files could be slid in and out. I could have forced the 7/32" file in, but then I don't know if I'd ever get it back out, which I did not want. I took a 7/32" drill bit and actually turned it by hand little bit by little bit and finally got the hole enlarged enough to where the 7/32" files would work. There is no room to get a drill in there, only enough room for a drill bit by itself. I only had to do that with one of them, the other I was able to slide the file in and out fast enough to where the file itself enlarged the hole.

View attachment 885905 View attachment 885906 View attachment 885907

Silent P......

Ferd
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

I received my pferd 3/8" 2in1 with the 13/64 files. Well guess what. They are Stihl branded files. Do you think Pferd make Stihl files as well?
ec65addc411e7fc4f084d61e52749e1f.jpg

I received my pferd 3/8" 2in1 with the 13/64 files. Well guess what. They are Stihl branded files. Do you think Pferd make Stihl files as well?
ec65addc411e7fc4f084d61e52749e1f.jpg

I wouldn't doubt it. Seems a lot of stuff branded by Stihl are made by others.

Do you have Stihl chains or are you using that on Oregon/Husky chains? I had to swap my 13/64" files to 7/32" as I use all Oregon chain.

As I recall from similar threads, the .404 version of the 2-in-1 guides take the 7/32” files, but the spacing is also based on .404 pitch. So, if yo try to use it on 3/8 pitch chain, you may not get the expected results.

Philbert

I wouldn't doubt it. Seems a lot of stuff branded by Stihl are made by others.

Do you have Stihl chains or are you using that on Oregon/Husky chains? I had to swap my 13/64" files to 7/32" as I use all Oregon chain.
I don't think any of my 3/8 chains are Stihl. I have oregon, husqvarna, Carlton and a couple cheap Chinese ones for the dirty stuff. I will see what it does with the 13/64 files. Did you have to enlarge the holes to get the 7/32 in the guide?

As I recall from similar threads, the .404 version of the 2-in-1 guides take the 7/32” files, but the spacing is also based on .404 pitch. So, if yo try to use it on 3/8 pitch chain, you may not get the expected results.

Philbert
This is true. I made that mistake. The guide rails are spaced farther apart, and they just barely catch the top plate on a 3/8 chain.

I don't think any of my 3/8 chains are Stihl. I have oregon, husqvarna, Carlton and a couple cheap Chinese ones for the dirty stuff. I will see what it does with the 13/64 files. Did you have to enlarge the holes to get the 7/32 in the guide?

Yep, I did. It wasn't as easy as sliding out the old and in the new. LOL One of the 7/32" files was easy. I just used the file itself to open up the holes slightly, the other I had to use a 7/32" drill bit and turn it by hand due to lack of space. Just don't jam it in too tight before getting the holes properly opened up, as you may have troubles getting it back out otherwise.

This is true. I made that mistake. The guide rails are spaced farther apart, and they just barely catch the top plate on a 3/8 chain.

I bought a .404 and 3/8 just to see what the difference was. Once I saw the difference I knew I had to swap the files.....or try it with the 13/64. I decided to put the correct files in right away.

So what was the issue with using the 13/64 files?

I don't know if there would have been. The difference I was referring to above was the difference in the spacing of the guide rods and how they rode on the cutters. The only reason I changed file sizes was I wanted to use 7/32" files, that's all. The 13/64" may work just fine.

Back