3 hours down the tube......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got done helping a neighbor C&S about 8 cords:
IMG_20140619_113907586.jpg

I have about 11-12 cords to do and started on the los today. My 361 was running fine, then I swear I heard something clog the carb...it started to stumble. Let it idle for a few, start a cut, half way through it would start stumbling again. I grabbed another saw and finished for the morning(sun was a gettin hot). Took the saw in the shop and found a "shattered carb"...wtf?:
MS361003.jpg

MS361004.jpg

Bottom bracket was broken off, the two center bolts were still tight. This one was modded so removing the internal baffle might have weakened it. So off to the Millermatic I went:
MS361005.jpg

Then I used the flat side of mty 12" cut off saw to square it all back up:
MS361006.jpg

more to follow............

So I really didn't think the carb was related to the stumble...but there is alway hope. Nope....it still stumbled. So did a quick breakdown and cleaned out the carb. Diaphram's looked decent, so I just put it back together....same issue. Back apart, replaced the diaphram's...same issue. took it apart again and put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner for 45 min & two different solutions. Back together....yahhhp..same issue:cool:.
Sooo, I went back to basic's...check the spark plug.....
MS361008.jpg

Looks ok right....NOT! When you tilt it towards the spark end this happens:
MS361009.jpg

The insulator is completely broke off and sliding up and down on the electrode...so I was chasing my tail for quite some time
thkickme.gif

Anyway, gut it all back together and it runs perfect...again.........
happy2.gif

You could look at it like 3 hrs down the tube or 180 bones still in your pocket. Good work.

Good way to look at it...if not for the spark plug I would not have noticed the muffler and just kept running it.............would not have ended good. I have never seen an insulator break like that...real odd that it was sliding back and forth creating interrupted spark.

I have been buying, stocking and using spark plugs for almost 20years. I have also been using Bosch plugs in German cars for 21 years. I've installed and sold thousands. I only ever had one issue like yours, but unfortunately, that time I ran a ceramic center from a plug through a clean 16v 2.0 vw engine that burned oil after that until it's untimely death shortly after. Sucks when parts fail.... You dodged a bullet. I switched to ngk..lol.

Looking on fleabay for mufflers...new one's from Hong Kong for $15? Anyone tried one...?

Wagner, it was not a Bosh......crap it's down at the shop...started with a "D". I bought the saw used 5-6 years ago and never really looked at the plug.

It may not have been the plugs fault that it failed. Maybe it got to hot from a lean condition from the turbo... I don't know, but I turned all paranoid... :)

Probably a denso.

I picked up a box of 10 Denso plugs buck a piece to try em. 1 ran for ten min. 3 dead in the box 6 in the trash. Junk IMO others may have a better experience but I tend to doubt it.
Shep

Yes...it was a Denso....it has been in the 361 for a loooong time. I had one new Bosh left in my parts box...runs much better now.

Back